Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The PO put a 997 shifter in my 996. It's in perfect condition. I dissembled my console, no prob there.

I bought the alignment tool. I get that it plums the shifter in the exact correct neutral position.

Now, what method to adjust the cables?

I'm guessing ...

count/mark/photograph the current cable positions/notches (In case I bork it)

Disconnect both.

Shorten them one or two notches

Try reconnecting until they just fit, increasing one notch at a time as I go. ?

Again, this is a guess..

If anyone really knows, I'd appreciate the input

Thanks

Jeff

post-82645-0-98239800-1358443407_thumb.j

Real simple:

- Disconnect both cables at the spring loaded connectors when the shifter is in neutral position

- Put alignment tool to lock the shifter in neutral

- Reconnect the cables. They will fall in the correct position automatically

BTW, the white alighment tool in the pic seems to be for the 996 stock shifter but I could be wrong. The 997 stock shifter tool is green and looks a little differently to me...you will see find out anyway if it's not (it won't fit).

Edited by Ahsai

The cables don't adjust themselves once you reconnect them. However, you align the cables by putting the gearbox in neutral, locking the shifter in neutral, and then reconnect the cables. You may want to check at the transmission side under the car how the cables are connected to it. The cables may be knocked out of the metal brackets and also the cable ends (sockets) could have worn and created extra play.

The cables don't adjust themselves once you reconnect them. However, you align the cables by putting the gearbox in neutral, locking the shifter in neutral, and then reconnect the cables. You may want to check at the transmission side under the car how the cables are connected to it. The cables may be knocked out of the metal brackets and also the cable ends (sockets) could have worn and created extra play.

Thanks, I'm going to do that today.

I ordered the tool for the 996 shifter tool before I took the console apart, I didn't know I had a 997 shifter. So you are right... the 997 one is green. Oh well.. I have a spare now!

Forgot to mention, you should disconnect the cables at the spring loaded connectors and when reconnecting the cables (as shown in post #3 here). Do not push or pull the cables. Just let the male ends (with threads) "fall" naturally into the spring loaded receving ends for the threads to engage.

Edited by Ahsai

Hi Can you please give me the part no. for the green 997 alignment tool as I'm struggling to find it as a separate item in the U.K.Thks Kurt

I ordered 000-721-961-91 Kurt. The 996 one was one digit less 000-721-961-90

I'm picking it up today, so I will be able to verify it later.

Have you confirmed under the car that the cables are properly secured to the transmission? It is possible the "locking" prongs on the shifter cables have come undone or loose.

Good idea.. When I jack it up this weekend, I'm going to check that too..

Thanks