Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

right price for a 2005 Cayenne S

Hi, I am thinking of buying a 2005 Cayenne S 130000 Km good shape inside and out, starts and drives well, But, and this is a big But, there is a loud and clear knocking noise coming from the right side of the engine.

The noise is there all the time the engine is running, I did some diagnostics with my Mechanic friend and we ruled out a vvt solenoid and it dose not sound like a cylinder so we think its a rod bearing thing.

Would like to hear your opinion on this

Thank you in advance for your input

1st series V8 Cayennes can have cylinder scoring issues which means a new engine. Don't go by your friend's hunch and scope that engine! You don't want to make a $20,000 mistake! My recollection of rod bearings is a ticking when not under load. A loud knocking sounds like big bucks on one of these engines. There are plenty 955 Cayennes out there.

Thanks for your input Steve and Cnrd, Actually this is what I had in mind 7 to 8 k. I have found an 06 engine with 130 k for 3500$ together I would drive a 05 cayenne s for 10000$.

Is this a right way to look at it???

I would scope all the cylinders first. No scoring mean you could probably rework the motor for cheaper than 3.5k.

The other question is does it have updated coolant pipes, driveshaft, ect. These are all relatively minor issues, but they add up quickly, even when doing your own work.

Honestly, for 130k on the odometer, you can find CS's all day long for 10-12k. Low ball the guy and tell him you'll take it for 2 or 3k and go from there.

Just run, sorry to say this is not a car you can own without tipping cash into it too frequently to actually enjoy it. I extended the warranty as far as I could and sold it 6 months before it finally expired. You will find yards full of them for sale, no one wants them.

Just run, sorry to say this is not a car you can own without tipping cash into it too frequently to actually enjoy it. I extended the warranty as far as I could and sold it 6 months before it finally expired. You will find yards full of them for sale, no one wants them.

I agree with this to an extent. The typical Cayenne owner does not have the tools or understanding to perform work on the car, at which point you need to pay a dealership. Based on this, the cost of ownership is extremely high.

But if you look at TRUE cost of ownership, The cost of replacement components is on par with similar class SUVs. One good example are coolant pipes. Parts FROM THE DEALER i paid a little over 500 dollars......a good days work, and i was back on the road. Quoted from the dealership near me it was 1500-2000. Being an intelligent consumer is 80% of the battle here.

REMEMBER, warranty contracts favor the dealership. Extending that warranty only feed that issue more. A good analogy would be slot machines.....they are programmed to MAKE MONEY, not give you money. Extended warranties, lifetime powertrain warranties.....all statistically measured to make money for the auto maker.

Based on the fact that you suggested replacing the motor, i can only assume you have the mechnical ability to work on these cars, but like i said before, you can find a decent used CS for 10-12k these days, it might make more since to go that route.

Well, I decided to go for the challenge and got the cayenne :oops: thinking that I can go for another good one and pay full price and have the same issue 2 months down the road. huge gamble :wacko:

I hope it will pay off.

I will keep you posted on what happens next

well, I got the cayenne on Monday and it is frikin awesome I had a V8 Touareg before and even tough the 2 share the same platform and many components they are totally different rides, This Cayenne

is a wild beast :drive: .

I did an oil change (Castrol syntec 5W40) , new air filters , cleaned the mass air flow sensors,pulled out the plugs ( all were ok except cylinder 1 -first one from the bumper on the passenger side- it was

a little damp , not soaked, with moist carbon).

Now this where the ticking is coming from , I used a stethoscope and found out where you add the oil is the loudest and clearest place you hear it.( not on the block, on the valve cover screw).

With the plugs out I took a clean 1/4 in, steel rod with a pointy head and inserted it through the plug hole and tried to feel any cylinder movement or slap None of the cylinders had any :thumbup: .

That leads me to the conclusion that the noise is coming from the valve train.

I will take out the valves cover tomorrow to inspect. Can you please guide me what to look for any comment or suggestion are welcomed

Edited by raneer2

Failing cylinder on this engine sounds very similar to hydraulic lifter noise and I have not seen any problems with the lifters on these engines. Are you sure the engine oil you've chosen meets the required specs? Castrol isn't what it used to be.

Failing cylinder on this engine sounds very similar to hydraulic lifter noise and I have not seen any problems with the lifters on these engines. Are you sure the engine oil you've chosen meets the required specs? Castrol isn't what it used to be.

I used Castrol because people were saying Mobil 1 is not what it used to be

So yesterday I had the valves cover removed and found out that the intake camshaft had a vario cam adjuster which is what supposed to be BUT the exhaust cam was just plain sprocket.

I almost sure they both should have adjusters.

Can you help me understand what the #### is going on, please?

Are this line in circle, or are they from top to the bottom of the cylinder? Which side of picture is top of the cylinder?

It is really hard to see from these pictures.

If you have lines from up to the bottom of the cylinder it is scored, if they are in circle, they could be visible lines from honing.

Edited by gbratk

These lines are horizontal as yo can see they curve on the ends to match the cylinder round shape.

this is my opinion.

Any body correct me if I am wrong

If they are just horizontal, then this are curve form cylinder honing. which is normal.

If you have chance make a video with sound, maybe will be easy to diagnose.

Here is a example picture how should scoring look like(horizontal lines are normal, vertical are scoring):

post-84890-0-56930000-1361794053_thumb.j

Strange, this really is sound of scored cylinder wall. Try to get better scope, to make picture with better quality. It's possibly, that we don't see scoring in your pictures. Did you do a compression test?

Compresson Test:Does a scored cylinder automaticly lead into less compression? Thank you

Strange, this really is sound of scored cylinder wall. Try to get better scope, to make picture with better quality. It's possibly, that we don't see scoring in your pictures. Did you do a compression test?

Compresson Test:Does a scored cylinder automaticly lead into less compression?Thank you

From my experiences, not porsche, but other engines, there was always some difference comparing to other cylinders. In some cases was difference more in some less, depending on how much damage has scoring left.