Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cayenne diesel oil change - I did it myself!

I changed the oil and filter this morning in the diesel at exactly 5000 miles. It did take about 1.5 hrs (including set up time and the durametric oil change interval reset). I do have a fluid extractor and know Porsche recommends using it, but I opted to remove the drain plug for the first one (I really just wanted to look underneath it). The hard part was finding the Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 - finally found it at Pep Boys for just under $12/qt - ouch! I added exactly 7.7 quarts, and the level checks at the full/max line. My cost was about $115 with the OEM dealer purchased oil filter. Don't be afraid to DIY, it was really straightforward, intuitive, and relatively easy.

Great info. Can you provide a bit more details and or pics? For example, on the drain plug, did you have to remove much under carriage material or is it easily accessible? Also what size hex bit (assume it is a hex bit) for the drain plug and associated tightening torque. Last question, how easy is it to access the oil filter - did you have to contort yourself much? Sorry for these basic questions but I really appreciate your posting as I plan on a DIY too (in about 2500 miles ~ couple months) when the oil quality sensor says to change.

I am planning on changing the oil tomorrow. I am trying to figure out if there is an off the shelf oil filter I can use. I don't want to have to go all the way to Porsche just to purchase an oil filter from them as they are almost 30 miles away. I was going to have Porsche do the oil change until they quoted me $397 for and oil change and AdBlue top off. That is ridiculous for something that should take them an hour. By the way, I picked up some AdBlue at Pepboys today for $13 for 2.5 gallons. I have a feeling Porsche is charging a little more than that.

Sorry for the late reply, first of all if you're gonna change the oil yourself, go to the Pep Boys website and find their in-store coupons - there is Mobil1 $7 per quart coupon that includes the ESP 5w-30. This deal expires on the 2/28. I don't remember the size of the torx bit used to remove the oil pan drain plug, and I did remove the protective shrouds underneath first. I'll post pics and tool sizes next oil change - probably in 2.5 weeks. The oil filter is on top, and it can be easily removed with a 1 1/4 socket after you drain the oil from below. I bought my filter from the dealer for less than $20, and SunCoast sells the oil filter and crush washer kit for about $18.

The oil change was easy. Just needed:

6mm Allen wrench - oil drain plug

10mm socket - screws holding underbody plastic

1 1/4" socket - Oil filter housing top - top front of engine, must remove engine cover first

I purchased the Mobile1 ESP Formula 5W30 oil from the dealership for $8.43 a quart. Pep Boys wanted $12.49 a quart!!!

• 8 months later...

At 5K miles I am doing my first diesel oil change. I have never seen black oil drain from a car before! After reading several posts I decided on the drain method instead of extraction. By the way, for those who criticize the extraction method it is actually recommended by Mercedes as they say you can get more of the old oil out. I got a nice Mityvac extractor and use it on my E350. Once you learn how to position the hose, which takes some trial and error, it is actually an easy and efficient way to get the oil out. On the Cayenne the drain plug is pretty easy to access and well positioned.

Oil cost for the Mobile 1 ESP:

Pep Boys: $12.50 per quart

Dealer: $8.50 per quart

Does anyone know the torque value for the drain plug. It did not feel very tight maybe 20 ft-lbs at most.

• 3 months later...

I am planning on changing the oil tomorrow. I am trying to figure out if there is an off the shelf oil filter I can use. I don't want to have to go all the way to Porsche just to purchase an oil filter from them as they are almost 30 miles away. I was going to have Porsche do the oil change until they quoted me $397 for and oil change and AdBlue top off. That is ridiculous for something that should take them an hour. By the way, I picked up some AdBlue at Pepboys today for $13 for 2.5 gallons. I have a feeling Porsche is charging a little more than that.

Do not use an aftermarket oil filter, for the $18-20 for a genuine one it's not worth screwing around. Porsche are very picky about their oil filters. Also you have no idea how high a Porsche dealerships overhead is, yes they charge a lot but there is a reason for that. If you do the work yourself and it goes wrong then you have no recourse, all the work performed at a Porsche dealer is guaranteed and they have to stand behind it.

Yes an oil change is a relatively easy job to do, and I'm not suggesting you aren't very capable of doing it, BUT how much is a new Porsche diesel engine. Also it is not the same engine as fitted to other cars in the VAG, despite what many people think.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Racerron

Also you have no idea how high a Porsche dealerships overhead is, yes they charge a lot but there is a reason for that. If you do the work yourself and it goes wrong then you have no recourse, all the work performed at a Porsche dealer is guaranteed and they have to stand behind it.

Yes an oil change is a relatively easy job to do, and I'm not suggesting you aren't very capable of doing it, BUT how much is a new Porsche diesel engine. Also it is not the same engine as fitted to other cars in the VAG, despite what many people think.

Just my 2 cents

This is utter BS pure and simple. I'm sorry, but it is.

The engine is absolutely the same engine that is used in the T-Reg and Q7 TDIs here in the US. It's just ECU tweaks and a few other minor modifications (none that are going to impact oil changes).

Additionally as long as you follow Porsche's procedures and use approved parts (oil and filter), you still have your warranty if something goes wrong. They aren't going to replace your oil pan if you over torque the drain plug and strip it, but as long as you can show you used the correct oil and followed the correct procedures federal law prevents them from denying your warranty unless they can absolutely prove something you did was at fault.

There is also absolutely no excuse for the "overhead" Porsche dealers are charging for oil changes on these things. My area ranges from $375 to $675 for the 5k at the Porsche dealers. I did it myself for <$100 including a few tools I didn't have and just had the 10k oil change done at a VW dealer for a whopping $112! The only reason for Porsche dealers obscene prices is greed and people's stupidity to believe that a oil change on these cars is some how special.

Draining the water from the fuel filter (part of the 10k) is also an insanely easy process that requires a ~$90 tool (if you use the VAG extractor vs a generic one) and an hour if you go slow about it (now that I've done it 30 minutes is easily doable). I talked to one Porsche dealer and they wanted $300 for that on top of the $425 they wanted for the 10k oil change. The VW dealer would have done it for $120 (the procedure is apparently different than on the T-Reg and they weren't sure if they could still do it in 30 minutes).

I'm all for using and supporting your dealer, but not to the point of being absolutely robbed for the "privilege".

• 2 months later...

I just did my oil change yesterday. I just want to share my experience with Mitty Vac. It was extremely easy. I warm up the car and park the car with the front tilt down on my drive way. I got pretty much close to 8 litters out. My first 5k oil change was done under the hood ( I have a 4 post lift) and it took me 45 minutes. But with the Mitty vac took me 30 minutes. I also send out to Blackstone oil analysis for this oil change 10k miles intervals. I will posted once i have it.

I also have an 2011 Audi A3 TDI with 95K miles and i do all the maintenance myself and it is very simple. I really don't know with all the fuzz with porsches 5k Intervals. I think they just want our money. For Example, Adblue from auto zone is $13 for 2.5 gallons and you just pour it in with the spout that came with it. Why pay them $100 for Adblue fill up. Oil change cost less than $100. It is all the BS .

Just my 2 cent.

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone used the mobil 1 5W40 turbo diesel oil or had any experience with it?  i can't seem to get a straight answer from a mechanic.  walmart sells the four quart container for $24, but doesn't carry the 5W30 weight.

has anyone used the mobil 1 5W40 turbo diesel oil or had any experience with it?  i can't seem to get a straight answer from a mechanic.  walmart sells the four quart container for $24, but doesn't carry the 5W30 weight.

I believe you got this answered on 6spd, but I want to make sure it's documented here in case others see one thread and not the other.

That oil does not meet the acceptable specs specified by Porsche in the owners manual.

I know some dealers are using a 5w40 M1 oil for diesel OCIs, but to the best of my knowledge there is no C30 spec 5w40 M1 option. Since the dealer is doing it they can't void your warranty if it causes an issue, but if you are buying your own oil I would advise you follow the documented specs to save yourself potential headaches down the road.

• 2 months later...

Also you have no idea how high a Porsche dealerships overhead is, yes they charge a lot but there is a reason for that. If you do the work yourself and it goes wrong then you have no recourse, all the work performed at a Porsche dealer is guaranteed and they have to stand behind it.

Just my 2 cents

This is utter BS pure and simple. I'm sorry, but it is.

The engine is absolutely the same engine that is used in the T-Reg and Q7 TDIs here in the US. It's just ECU tweaks and a few other minor modifications (none that are going to impact oil changes).

Additionally as long as you follow Porsche's procedures and use approved parts (oil and filter), you still have your warranty if something goes wrong. They aren't going to replace your oil pan if you over torque the drain plug and strip it, but as long as you can show you used the correct oil and followed the correct procedures federal law prevents them from denying your warranty unless they can absolutely prove something you did was at fault.

There is also absolutely no excuse for the "overhead" Porsche dealers are charging for oil changes on these things. My area ranges from $375 to $675 for the 5k at the Porsche dealers. I did it myself for <$100 including a few tools I didn't have and just had the 10k oil change done at a VW dealer for a whopping $112! The only reason for Porsche dealers obscene prices is greed and people's stupidity to believe that a oil change on these cars is some how special.

Draining the water from the fuel filter (part of the 10k) is also an insanely easy process that requires a ~$90 tool (if you use the VAG extractor vs a generic one) and an hour if you go slow about it (now that I've done it 30 minutes is easily doable). I talked to one Porsche dealer and they wanted $300 for that on top of the $425 they wanted for the 10k oil change. The VW dealer would have done it for $120 (the procedure is apparently different than on the T-Reg and they weren't sure if they could still do it in 30 minutes).

I'm all for using and supporting your dealer, but not to the point of being absolutely robbed for the "privilege".

Seriously? You buy a $60,000 car, in my case, $81,000 car and you are complaining about paying for a $350 oil change? If it's the same engine and everything, maybe you should have bought the Toureg or Q7 and put the difference and cost to maintenance. Sounds like you can't afford the car if you can justify the purchase price and not the maint. You are paying for the brand and the overhead of these dealerships having to deal with nitpickers coming in and telling them how to work on the car. It's a luxury car. You didn't think you had to pay the luxury price to maintain it? Here's and idea, why don't you take it to the VW dealer for the oil change. They will do it. Edited by forbin42

Seriously? You buy a $60,000 car, in my case, $81,000 car

Congratulations on trying to make yourself feel better by measuring what we paid for our cars (of which you have no idea what I paid so you just look like a fool). Hope that makes you feel better.

I'm also happy for you that you apparently didn't have to earn a dime in your life and therefore have no appreciation for your money. Many of us have actually worked to earn our money and we didn't build it up by pissing it away "just because".

If there is value in something, I'll pay for it. If not I'll put that money to better uses. In this case over 3 OCIs that's $838 dollars I've been able to do other things with (like my bumper swap).

If it's the same engine and everything, maybe you should have bought the Toureg or Q7

The engine does not make the car. If you haven't figured that out yet then maybe you should be looking at the trade-in.

You are paying for the brand

Only an idiot pays more than is needed and after owning a 911 for 13 years I can assure you that paying a "luxury" tax is not needed to properly maintain the vehicle without cutting corners and taking it to people that don't know anything about the car.

And before you suggest I should take it to a VAG dealer for my OCIs, maybe you should re-read what you quoted. I already have, they charge a reasonable rate, and I'll use them again on those occasions where doing it myself is not practical.

I have no problem if you want to take your car to the dealer and pay their prices. More power to you if you're good with that. I will not, however, standby and ignore it when people spew BS on why they think people "must" go to the dealer for anything other than the initial purchase.

And the maintenance burdens that car manufacturers have put in these new cars has made it more difficult to do it yourself. I am not for throwing money away. In fact, it is my job to reduce costs. But at the same time, I have to look at the cost of time and risk to cost and the difference is negligible. Congratulations on maintaining your 13 year old C4S but frankly I don't have the time to climb under my car, possibly cause an issue that the dealer is goign to have to fix (where they can gouge you) and still have to go in to the dealer to reset the computer. My time $$$ are better spent elsewhere. And I am sure on that car it is easier to do. Frankly, it's not worth my time to do it and when you come down to the time researching, buying the parts and climbing under the vehicle. I would rather be out driving the car.

I apologise for missing you mentioning that you have been to the VW dealer. With the negligible difference in price in having them doign it and you doign it yourself, why wouldn't you have them do the service? I would say piece of mind if somehting happened and I have had a dealer garage strip drain plugs. In fact, when it was in last the scratched the car and made good on the repair, no questions asked.

And I have dealt with Porsche of Tyson's and have never seen those prices quoted. It sounds like ala carte quotes instead of the 5K or 10K service and of course they are going to charge you more. I deal with two of the most hoity toity dealers in the country and they treat me better than that. They charged me $35 difference between the 5K and 10K for the water filter, not $300. Someone said they got charged $100 for an AdBlue fillup. 12 quarts cost me $14.23 during the service. And they threw in an alignment at no charge. It looks like they didn't want your business.

And frankly, it's not all BS. Is it cheap? No. Compared to maintaining an Aston Martin, it's a bargin. The dealership has to pay licenses and fees to Porsche for use of their software and diagnostic tools which they are going to check out when they do the service. And before you make the arguement, I am fully aware of the costs associated and know what independant shops need to go through to obtain it. It's more than just an oil change and you get the dealer stamp that it was completed properly. Again, it seems like there are people that don't want to pay the costs associated with owning a luxury car.

Edited by forbin42

Frankly, it's not worth my time to do it and when you come down to the time researching, buying the parts and climbing under the vehicle. I would rather be out driving the car.

That's indeed a valid consideration and I have no problem with anyone having someone else do the work (most of the work done on our cars is done by other people as I don't have the space/time to do anything but the simple stuff). My point is that you can get the same quality (possibly better) work done at places other than the dealer for much more reasonable rates.

why wouldn't you have them do the service?

I like futzing with my Cayenne as much as I like driving it. Look me up on 6spd and you'll see a raft of things I've done because I enjoy it. If I have the time and think it's something I can manage, I'll tackle it. If I don't have the time or ability, I'll pay for someone else to take care of it for me.

In fact, when it was in last the scratched the car and made good on the repair, no questions asked.

Which is interesting given that you mention Tysons. Under their old HBL moniker they had a horrible reputation for damaging cars and then denying it. It's only because Rockville pissed me off (by damaging my Cayenne and not doing what I asked them to do) that I've recently started going to them (and so far I've been happy).

And I have dealt with Porsche of Tyson's and have never seen those prices quoted. ... It looks like they didn't want your business.

I don't remember what they quoted for an OCI, but it was Tysons that wanted $300 for the fuel filter drain.

You could be right, but I have no problem not giving my money to people that don't want it ;)

And frankly, it's not all BS.

Then why can Indies charge so much less? Why can other non-Porsche dealers (so they should have similar overhead for the size of the shop, training, personnel, etc..) charge less for the same work? High end car dealers charge what they do because they know may people believe they "must" take it to the dealer and believe there is something special that justifies the higher prices.

The dealership has to pay licenses and fees to Porsche for use of their software and diagnostic tools which they are going to check out when they do the service. And before you make the arguement, I am fully aware of the costs associated and know what independant shops need to go through to obtain it.

Not sure what you are talking about costs or "what they have to go through". I have a PIWIS account myself and you only have to pay for the pages you pull (usually less than $2/page). It's not difficult or costly. Any shop that deals with Porsches regularly has a Durametric which will perform most of the needed diagnostic functions (yes (especially with the 958) the functionality is limited compared to the actual PIWIS and PST units, but it gives everything that is needed for most issues). The Professional Dura is ~$700 and even if a shop wanted to get a real PIWIS they are only about ~$3k (high for DIY, but noting for a shop that does a lot of Porsche work).

It's more than just an oil change and you get the dealer stamp that it was completed properly.

And what is that little stamp in a booklet worth? Nothing. It's the actual maintenance records that people care about.

And I know for a fact that my "visual inspection" is more detailed that the dealer's (at least Rockville and Tysons) because they suck the oil out the top and never pull the under trays off for the OCI service.

One argument that I've heard over and over in threads like this is "the dealer will take care of you". Being a 996 owner I know fear and pain around the IMSB. There have been stories of cases where dealers went to bat for the owner and got PCNA to pony up to a new engine even though the warranty had expired. In all those cases it was for people that had bought multiple cars and done all service through that dealer. On the face of it that does sound like a good reason to be loyal to your dealer as new Porsche engines are not cheap, but when you actually do the risk analysis it falls down. The chances of a catastrophic failure on a well maintained (and which includes not being a garage queen that rots on its tires) modern car is pretty slim. Most Porsche dealers are also part of larger chains now and have higher employee turnover than they used to so even though you've given them all the money, you aren't likely to have that really long personal relationship that used to be possible.

If you can't or don't want to do your own service work, there is nothing wrong with that. We all have or own interests, skill sets, and priorities, it's all good. I'm just saying that no one should over pay for anything. Given that you mention Tysons, we are obviously in the same area and there are a few good Porsche specific Indies in our area that charge significantly less than the dealers.

As I said previously, if you really want to take it to the dealer, that's your business and I'm glad it works for you. I just do my part to make sure that people know they really do have an option and there is nothing special about what the dealer does that a good Indy (or yourself if you are so inclined) can do.

Edited by gnat

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm thinking to buy a used Porsche Cayenne S 2004 at 78124 Km for 13K$. I'm not rich and earn less than 50K a year and I know that the maintenance for the car may kill my wallet. I know that many of you will be thinking that I'm an idiot and that I should buy a honda instead. However, I'm a new graduate electric engineer and I've been dreaming about buying a nice car for so long during my years at the university. 

I was wondering how hard is it to DIY on a Cayenne knowing that I have no knowledge in mechanics. However, I'm planning on taking night courses on automobile mechanics. 

What should I look for during the mechanical inspection of the car ?

If you could comment constructively, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Benari

Hi, I'm thinking to buy a used Porsche Cayenne S 2004

This is the 958 forum (2011+). You want the 955/957 guys next door.

In general though my advise would be for you to start with a cheaper car until you have better cash flow and/or DIY knowledge. Also remember that DIY is not just the knowledge/ability you have, but also having an appropriate place, ability to handle the vehicle being unavailable for a period of time, and the tools to make the needed fix.

I don't know about the 955 forum here, but the Cayenne forum on Rennlist has a good sticky about common issues to look for in the older versions as well as a pretty active community for the older models. Generally they are good cars, but parts are not usually cheap and labor tends to have a premium too if it's not something you can do yourself.