Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need help figuring out how to repair rear spoiler

Hi Everyone,

From what I see many 996TT owners have had issues with their rear spoiler. I am hoping to get some help in fixing mine. I have read several threads so if I am wrong in what I am writing, please let me know.

First, the current situation. My car is a 2001 996TT:

The switch for the rear spoiler is not lit up.

The wing is in the down position.

When I press the switch, I hear a click noise but nothing happens.

There are no apparent leaks.

The pentosin fluid in the rear is approximately half way in the rough portion of the "cold" part of the dip stick.

I am not sure if it matters but the pentosin fluid in the reservoir in the front is close to max.

I have checked the fuse and it is fine.

My understanding is that the next things to check would be the micro-switches, the electric motor, and the hydraulic portion....not really sure about this.

Since the light is not on, could it be a problem with the microswitches? Is there a way to test the microswitches with a multimeter?

If not, to test the electric motor, how exactly do I do this? I see a harness I can unplug but if someone can give me instructions on how to do this, I would appreciate it.

I am hoping that since there is no apparent leak of hydraulic fluid that the issue is with the motor or microswitches. I know many of you feel that it is better to replace the spoiler with an aftermarket unit or place the wing in a fixed position. Before it comes to that, I want to at least give fixing this a try.

Thanks in Advance!

• 11 months later...

Just fixed my motor today. Had to pop off the end and one of the brushes had frozen up. Cleaned it all up, reassembled and worked like a charm. Filled all pistons with power steering stop leak undilluted. No telling how long it's been since the wing actually worked! Will reassemble on the car tomorrow.

Reassembled, and it all works for the cost of a bottle of PS Stop Leak (about $6). How cool is that? To be fair, it took about 4 hours on and off, and I did surface scratch the rear cowl opposite the wiper, should have put a towel down like I did when I removed the spoiler assembly...stupid...lucky for me it pretty much buffed out.

• 8 months later...

...been awhile since I updated my last post - sorry for the delay.  Felt I needed to set the record straight, seeing as I felt so jubilant after all the effort I went through trying to revive the hydraulic system as described in the post above.  

The hydraulics had a catastrophic failure in July.  Went on a trip and came out of the hotel one morning to a puddle of fluid under the motor area and wet streaks where it had run down the back bumper.  Luckily I got the PS fluid mopped up and the paint was not harmed too much.  I suspect one of the unreplaceable seals had dry-rotted and was weak.  That whole exercise was a waste of time and messed up my paint job.

Done with the hydraulic system forever!  But have a fully operational wing...  :)

Edited by DaveCarrera4S

• 1 month later...

...been awhile since I updated my last post - sorry for the delay.  Felt I needed to set the record straight, seeing as I felt so jubilant after all the effort I went through trying to revive the hydraulic system as described in the post above.  

The hydraulics had a catastrophic failure in July.  Went on a trip and came out of the hotel one morning to a puddle of fluid under the motor area and wet streaks where it had run down the back bumper.  Luckily I got the PS fluid mopped up and the paint was not harmed too much.  I suspect one of the unreplaceable seals had dry-rotted and was weak.  That whole exercise was a waste of time and messed up my paint job.

Done with the hydraulic system forever!  But have a fully operational wing...   :)

My 02 has started to throw the spoiler alert.  What did you replace the hydraulic system with?