Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Need help figuring out how to repair rear spoiler

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michael pillay

michael pillay

• Members
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted May 18, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

From what I see many 996TT owners have had issues with their rear spoiler.  I am hoping to get some help in fixing mine.  I have read several threads so if I am wrong in what I am writing, please let me know.

First, the current situation.  My car is a 2001 996TT:

The switch for the rear spoiler is not lit up. 

The wing is in the down position. 

When I press the switch, I hear a click noise but nothing happens. 

There are no apparent leaks. 

The pentosin fluid in the rear is approximately half way in the rough portion of the "cold" part of the dip stick. 

I am not sure if it matters but the pentosin fluid in the reservoir in the front is close to max.

I have checked the fuse and it is fine.

My understanding is that the next things to check would be the micro-switches, the electric motor, and the hydraulic portion....not really sure about this.

Since the light is not on, could it be a problem with the microswitches?  Is there a way to test the microswitches with a multimeter?

If not, to test the electric motor, how exactly do I do this?  I see a harness I can unplug but if someone can give me instructions on how to do this, I would appreciate it. 

I am hoping that since there is no apparent leak of hydraulic fluid that the issue is with the motor or microswitches.  I know many of you feel that it is better to replace the spoiler with an aftermarket unit or place the wing in a fixed position.  Before it comes to that, I want to at least give fixing this a try.

Thanks in Advance!

#2 DaveCarrera4S

DaveCarrera4S

• Members
  • 29 posts
Neutral

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Michael did you ever get it working? I bought my TT with known wing inoperation. Started tearing into it today...bad motor I think.

#3 987_RDC

987_RDC

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 163 posts
Neutral

Posted May 21, 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have a replacement motor $350 shipped

#4 DaveCarrera4S

DaveCarrera4S

• Members
  • 29 posts
Neutral

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Just fixed my motor today. Had to pop off the end and one of the brushes had frozen up. Cleaned it all up, reassembled and worked like a charm. Filled all pistons with power steering stop leak undilluted. No telling how long it's been since the wing actually worked! Will reassemble on the car tomorrow.

#5 DaveCarrera4S

DaveCarrera4S

• Members
  • 29 posts
Neutral

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Reassembled, and it all works for the cost of a bottle of PS Stop Leak (about $6). How cool is that? To be fair, it took about 4 hours on and off, and I did surface scratch the rear cowl opposite the wiper, should have put a towel down like I did when I removed the spoiler assembly...stupid...lucky for me it pretty much buffed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org