Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clamshell - left/right alignment

All: I've noticed that the clamshell does not close properly on my '03 Boxster - more a problem with the top down than with the top up. It appears to be shifted a bit to the left, as you can see in the attached photos. I would say, from looking at the gap in the bodywork and how the alignment pins line up with the sockets they drop into that there is on the order of 1/4" of a shift here.

Top Down:

post-13809-0-64917900-1375719613_thumb.j

post-13809-0-48731100-1375719622_thumb.j

Top Up:

post-13809-0-64321500-1375719629_thumb.j

post-13809-0-86291300-1375719637_thumb.j

Is there any way to adjust this out? I don't see anything obvious, and the vertical adjustment (left side vs right side compared to the rear deck) looks good.

I have recently had to mess w/ the clamshell, as I had an AOS replacement to do and it was a bit of a struggle, so it would not be out of the realm of reality that I tweaked something while I was doing that.

Any ideas?

TIA...

• 10 months later...

All: I've noticed that the clamshell does not close properly on my '03 Boxster - more a problem with the top down than with the top up. It appears to be shifted a bit to the left, as you can see in the attached photos. I would say, from looking at the gap in the bodywork and how the alignment pins line up with the sockets they drop into that there is on the order of 1/4" of a shift here.

Top Down:

attachicon.gifleft - top down.jpg

attachicon.gifright - top down.jpg

Top Up:

attachicon.gifleft - top up.jpg

attachicon.gifright - top up.jpg

Is there any way to adjust this out? I don't see anything obvious, and the vertical adjustment (left side vs right side compared to the rear deck) looks good.

I have recently had to mess w/ the clamshell, as I had an AOS replacement to do and it was a bit of a struggle, so it would not be out of the realm of reality that I tweaked something while I was doing that.

Any ideas?

TIA...

bump

• 4 months later...

tcora,

It's against Renntech rules to bump your postings.

That said, perhaps your transmissions are slightly out of alignment.  Or, the rocker arms that pull the clam shell down into final position  are spring loaded and may have lost some of their tension.  Or since the problem is more an issue when the top is down, is there something in the way of the top when it folds away?

Here is an excellent write-up on Mike Focke's website (by Maurice or 1schoir) on adjusting the Clamshell.  PRESS HERE

Edited by kbrandsma

You can adjust your transmissions by removing one of the transmission cables and using a drill at slow speed to adjust the transmission either forward or backwards to equal the other one.  Wayne's Book "101 Boxster Projects" has some good info and photos. I wouldn't recommend ever touching the rear trunk or even the rear quarter panels as they are easily dented even when padded.

Pic128.jpg

You need to get both transmissions into the exact same place.

Pic131.jpg