Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric Cable Length

I want to add a Professional Durametric kit to my list of Pcar Tools and not sure if I need to purchase Option 2 (includes extension cable) or not. My shop laptop is approximately 16 feet from the OBDII connector when the car is on the lift.To help me decide which option is needed, I have a few questions (was on hold with Durametric for 11 minutes this afternoon and decided to end the call and ask here instead.)How long is the OBDII/USB cable without the extension?

Do you all find the cable too short and need the extension? My plans are to leave the laptop on the bench and just extend the cable into the car for coad reading, etc.Instead of using the OBDII extension cable will the the Durametric Pro kit work with a regular USB extension cable?

I have a 996, and currently do not have a need for the round connector cable. Which Pcars have the round connectors?

Thanks in advance,

Al

• Moderators

I want to add a Professional Durametric kit to my list of Pcar Tools and not sure if I need to purchase Option 2 (includes extension cable) or not. My shop laptop is approximately 16 feet from the OBDII connector when the car is on the lift.To help me decide which option is needed, I have a few questions (was on hold with Durametric for 11 minutes this afternoon and decided to end the call and ask here instead.)How long is the OBDII/USB cable without the extension?

Do you all find the cable too short and need the extension? My plans are to leave the laptop on the bench and just extend the cable into the car for coad reading, etc.Instead of using the OBDII extension cable will the the Durametric Pro kit work with a regular USB extension cable?

I have a 996, and currently do not have a need for the round connector cable. Which Pcars have the round connectors?

Thanks in advance,

Al

The answers are yes, and yes.......... The standard cable is about 8 ft., and you can use a USB extension cable rather than jump for their long cable. We like the shorter cable for using a laptop in the car on mobile tests without a big wad of cable in the car, the longer USB extension is used in the shop to connect to our Dell XPS tower. Combination gives you a lot of flexibility. Buy a good quality USB extension cable, there is some really cheap crap running around, and you want something that will wear well and last.

The round connector fits 928, 944S2, 968, 964 or 1994-1995 Porsche 993.