Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cayenne idle drop engine vibrates when coming to stop

ALEV8 you make me laugh and put a smile on my face! :thumbup:

I agree that the mounts will definitely help with vibration concerns but there are seems to be TWO separate issues going on here.  The  idle dropo issue is not related to the engine mounts and can be caused by vacuum leak and/or timing chain deformation

• 3 months later...

All,

I can confirm that this issue is due to the engine mounts. I recently bought a used '08 Cayenne with the same shutter upon a complete stop. Switching to neutral... no shutter. Luckily, mine was under a 3-month powertrain warranty. After a lot of fighting with the dealer, they finally listened to me and replaced the two hydraulic mounts. They said it cost them $3,200. Somehow I doubt that. Once fixed, the shutter was completely gone! Before that, they replaced the rotors and spark plugs. So I definitely got my money's worth.

• 6 months later...

I had totally the same problem.

So I changed all 8 coils and plugs, MAF sensors, pre-cat O2 sensors,booth fuel pumps, I also cleaned and reset throttle body, and did smoke vacuum leak test, but there was no leaks. All that and Idle drop and rough idle was still there. However, in the end I changed hydraulic engine mounts, and believe it or not, all roughness is gone, and cars is super smooth again. It's PITA job to change it but it's doable and worth every penny. 

gbratk, can you hit the highlights on the procedure you went through to DIY your motor mounts?  What did you have to remove? Any tips?

Thanks

I had totally the same problem.

So I changed all 8 coils and plugs, MAF sensors, pre-cat O2 sensors,booth fuel pumps, I also cleaned and reset throttle body, and did smoke vacuum leak test, but there was no leaks. All that and Idle drop and rough idle was still there. However, in the end I changed hydraulic engine mounts, and believe it or not, all roughness is gone, and cars is super smooth again. It's PITA job to change it but it's doable and worth every penny. 

gbratk, can you hit the highlights on the procedure you went through to DIY your motor mounts?  What did you have to remove? Any tips?

Thanks

Here is another DIY:

http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/913742-replacing-the-mounts.html

Hope it hepls.

• 2 months later...

So looking at somewhere between $1,500 to $2,000 for this service.

Bummer it's not a DIY'er

New member here, I had been lurking before and this thread helped me diagnose and completely cure similar issues on my 2008 Cayenne S with 133,000 miles at the time.  It is not a difficult DIY, the key to it all is to remove airboxes and both fender liners, get stubby ratchets to fit in the tight space on the passenger side and use a motor support (I bought mine from Amazon for $89).  You do need to loosen the front subframe for room to drop out the old mounts.  There are a couple of good write-ups on this on this site I believe and perhaps Rennlist..  Just Google Porsche Cayenne Motor Mount Replacement and you will find them with pictures.  I had the exact same symptoms, idle stumbles and vibrations as described throughout this thread and the combination of motor mount replacement and engine torque damper replacement cured them all.  It is about a 1 day DIY although I would recommend doing it indoors rather than attempting it in a driveway although I am sure that is possible.  A good 1/2" impact would be advisable for the subframe bolts unless you are pretty **** strong!  Total cost is about $250-300 depending upon where you source your mounts.  Lemforder mounts can be had at a good price on Rockauto.com although there are many other affordable sources with Sunset Porsche cheapest for OEM parts.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I have read that you guys have concluded to be engine mounts issue. My MY04 Cayenne-S case is different since the vehicle engine after warm up the RPM it drops very low and die eventually, then would have very hard restarting; something like fuel choked of being too rich. However, when the engine is cold then no problem to start right away and no shaking!

I have changed everything can think about like fuel pumps, fuel regulator, fuel filter, mass flow meters, ignition coils, spark plugs, breather hoses, throttle body..still no solution : (

Any other idea?

Thanks,