Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front bumper cover removal, radiators clean-up and radiator replacemen

Front bumper cover removal, radiators clean-up and radiator replacement...

The front bumper cover removal is really easy and give you access for a good cleanup of your radiators. I had to remove the left radiator and the fan at the same time. So here is the process….Hope this will help anyone... Toll needed: Philips screwdriver #2 Torx screwdriver 030 Tork screwdriver 025 Socket 13 and 16mm To do a good clean-up of the front radiator… (Pop rivet gun + six 1/8 diameter pop rivets 3/8 inch long) +++ Cover removal: Take out both side markers. (thin screwdriver p

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

I do have a (possibly stupid) question.

What is the US protocol on this? in Europe it used to be 'perform at every major maintenance'.

I think it is considered Annual Maintenance both on US/Canada cars as well as RoW.

The US Annual Maintenance says: "Radiators and air inlets at front: visual inspection for external contamination and blockage => Checking cooling system"

Visual inspection, sure.

But taking everything apart per the DIY seems quite different.

I seem to recall (but this may be me misremembering) that the radiators were actually taken slightly off their supports to be able to blow them with compressed air from the back.

But it's been 8 years and I don't recall.

OTOH, it's been seven with my current TT and they certainly have never been touched... I think it may be time.

• Admin

Basically - the goal of the maintenance documents is to preset the tech with "what to check". Upon seeing something wrong they are to do what is necessary to correct it.

So if the radiators look dirty (upon inspection) then you take the next steps of removing the bumper and thoroughly cleaning the radiators and condensers. At least that is what any good shop (or owner)  I know would do.

In three years I have had the front apron off twice.  The first time was soon after I bought the car when there was an unbelievable amount of junk caught between the rads and the condensers. The second time was to repair an air con leak.  On this occasion there was very little muck to clean out and it could have been cleaned with a vacuum cleaner from the front.

If you have not had the car very long its probably worth taking the apron off just to make sure the space between the rads and the condensers is clear.

When I wash the car I inspect the intake area with a torch, especially the far corners where leaves accumulate. If needed I clean them out. Sometimes I have to use a long screwdriver to loosen things up.  If you have to do this, take care not to damage the rad fins and cause a leak. 

This car I've had now just over 7 years. It's also true, however, that in these 7 years it's been driven some 17,500 miles.

To the best of my knowledge, however, the front bumper has never been touched since when it came off the assembly line, so it may be time.

It's an easy job and there's plenty of guidance about.  When you take it off it helps to have two people and have a rug ready on which to out it down.  It also helps to have two when putting it back. It's not that it's heavy but it is a bit clumsy as it flexes.

Many of the fixing are screws.  Some have posi-drive heads and others torq recesses.  The only poppers are the ones that fix the wheel arches shrouds. For these use a wide wedge to move the central expansion pin and then remove the outer plastic rivet.  The side flashers need to come out, but they just pop out to give access to a screw. Also take out the headlight pods.

If you do break the plastic rivets they are easy to replace. You will be surprised by what an easy job it is.  Just take your time and set the screws aside so you remember where they came from.

There are only a handful of screws and a rivets.  If this project is beyond your talents, you are in for very expensive Porsche maintenance and repair bills. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being most difficult, this is a 3. 

Get in there and get your hands dirty!

Edited by kbrandsma

I think I should try to explain better: in the howto referenced in this thread, it is stated that the central radiator duct is held on by rivets.

Not the plastic ones that have a pin in the middle that you pry out, the metal ones that need drilling to get out.

I have some small experience with rivets - and with taking cars apart, gearboxes and differentials included, though this certainly doesn't make me an expert - and will stand by what I said: yes, you can drill them out. Yes, you can put them back in. No, you cannot do that ten times in the same hole. And given the position, you get to decide what rivets you should be using and whether Tefgel/Duralac is a good idea (generally, yes, unless you live in the south far from the sea).

Given the fact that it looks like you'd have to buy the entire centre radiator assembly if the metal decides to be grumpy, I would rather not do it every year.

Or possibly, if I had to do it every year, figure out if there's an alternate way of fastening the parts.