Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What does a MAF cost ?

I understand the OEM part costs circa $200, otherwise the Bosch equivalent is circa $60 on Ebay ?

Now the guys at Sportec did a great job on the gasket seals on my Tip but I did think that their proposed price for a new MAF of more than $1,100 was a tad steep, unfortunately I had to decline their offer as had a spare "Der Luftmassenmesser kostet leider sehr viel. Von Porsche 1038.86.- Sfr.
Dieser Sensor ist führ sehr vieles zuständig- ohne diesen oder wenn er defekt ist dann läuft der Porsche nicht mehr einwandfrei"

• Admin

No I do not think anyone feels that is reasonable.

The fact is the Porsche publishes a Manufacturers Suggest Retail Price (MSRP) and any dealer/OPC can change what ever they want for that part. Many times they price over the MSRP and in most countries there is little you can do about it - except buy the part elsewhere.

In the US there are a couple of Porsche dealers that routinely sell below MSRP and they even advertise that they do.

In Europe there are some 3rd party companies (like Carnewal.com in Belgium) that do the same.

You just need to shop around for an acceptable price to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've used that MAF and did not have any issues. Unfortunately I've gone to hitachi MAF just for the reasons I was blowing my MAF from hitting rev limiter on my tune.

hmmmm. Hitting the rev limiter should have very little causation with the blown MAF (it may correlate). Since the airflow over the hot film may be unusual, it may cause spikes in the voltage and blow the MAF...

I've used that MAF and did not have any issues. Unfortunately I've gone to hitachi MAF just for the reasons I was blowing my MAF from hitting rev limiter on my tune.

hmmmm. Hitting the rev limiter should have very little causation with the blown MAF (it may correlate). Since the airflow over the hot film may be unusual, it may cause spikes in the voltage and blow the MAF...

Hitting rev limiter on my GIAC K24/20 tune does affect the stock MAF since they cannot resolve the flow of air at that volume hence going with the Hitachi MAF or as you stated voltage spikes and blowing the MAF

So throwing a type 1 over-rev...I have never had an issue with blowing a MAF as a result of this (been on a stock MAF since tuned by UMW in 2006). I did blow several using the EVOMs air box however.

My tune is a pretty aggressive file from GIAC. Mind you I am running K24/20, 4.5" IC, 60lbs siemens injector, 5 bar FPR so air flow from the big lazy turbos spool at very high volume through the stock MAF.

I've blown several Bosch MAF before changing over to the Hitachi MAF and have not had a problem since. Just my personal experience. Sounds like your MAF has been very fortunate. I think all stock MAF will eventually go just when is the question.

• 1 month later...

thread creep - I was thinking new/replacement MAF as my car was throwing a zillion CEL codes But I decided to try CRC spray MAF cleaner ,,, so far It Worked ? no CEL in last few weeks... just a suggestion - I did see Pelican (not affiliated) had them also Good Luck

CK