Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator, Generator, Battery

I should ask for a special corner in this forum "thomas and his problems"

There is no month quiet driving with my cars.

Always something else.

Anyway, i will just explain it in a short way.

The Turbo which i have now for some weeks was driving almost perfect since i got the car some weeks ago.

I just replaced the battery because the car didnt start always on the first attempt.

Today i drove to gas station. From one minute to next idle went up to arround 800to 1000 and on the display the battery sign appears.

Followed by the information: vehikel shutting down electronic devices.

After i couldnt start. I waited a minute and car runs normal. After some minutes again idle up to 1000 and

The battery symbol on the display.

Does it mean my alternator said good by or is it something more serious?

Thank you

post-77547-0-71537400-1394992674_thumb.j

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I should ask for a special corner in this forum "thomas and his problems"

There is no month quiet driving with my cars.

Always something else.

Anyway, i will just explain it in a short way.

The Turbo which i have now for some weeks was driving almost perfect since i got the car some weeks ago.

I just replaced the battery because the car didnt start always on the first attempt.

Today i drove to gas station. From one minute to next idle went up to arround 800to 1000 and on the display the battery sign appears.

Followed by the information: vehikel shutting down electronic devices.

After i couldnt start. I waited a minute and car runs normal. After some minutes again idle up to 1000 and

The battery symbol on the display.

Does it mean my alternator said good by or is it something more serious?

Thank you

You need to have the alternator checked for out put, it may be as simple as a bad voltage regulator.

JFP...

According our conversation i was talking to BOSCH today. I thought cars electric system is their main business and they should know what to do. I explained the situation and the guy made me feel affraid. He told me " if you have a bad alternator regulator it could cause serious damage on the cars electric system because of high voltage spikes. Better dont drive anymore even some meters. Disconnect the battery too because it could be completely discharged and broken. Best way to tow the car to the next service station"

He was very serious. Could he be right?

• Moderators

JFP...

According our conversation i was talking to BOSCH today. I thought cars electric system is their main business and they should know what to do. I explained the situation and the guy made me feel affraid. He told me " if you have a bad alternator regulator it could cause serious damage on the cars electric system because of high voltage spikes. Better dont drive anymore even some meters. Disconnect the battery too because it could be completely discharged and broken. Best way to tow the car to the next service station"

He was very serious. Could he be right?

If the system shorted internally, yes, what he describing could occur, but these incidents are rare. But I don't think that is your problem, which is most likely low voltage related. In either case, if you connected a voltmeter directly to the battery terminals (depending upon your model, you may have more than one battery), with the vehicle off you should see 12.6V; with the vehicle running, you should see between 13.6 and 14.5V.

Thanks again.

Its a turbo s with 500 hp with just one battery under the driver seat.

If i am testing the voltage according your information, what i have to learn from the numbers? If the voltmeter is showing the numbers you mentioned? Sorry for the stupid question.

• Moderators

Thanks again.

Its a turbo s with 500 hp with just one battery under the driver seat.

If i am testing the voltage according your information, what i have to learn from the numbers? If the voltmeter is showing the numbers you mentioned? Sorry for the stupid question.

If the battery is below 12.6V, the battery is at least low and needs a recharge, or may need replacing. If the alternator is below 13.6 to 14.5V, the alternator or voltage regulator are bad.

Just a warning. Do not disconnect the battery when the engine is running. If you do this the alternator output could damage the other electrical components in the vehicle. The battery provides resistance in the circuit and if it disconnected when the car is running alternator voltage could spike.

Here i am again. The car stay for some days and now nothing is working. Dead. I had to use my other cayenne to start the turbo via cable. Car started without problem. After i used the multimeter i bought to messure the voltage. Looks like the alternator us ok. The multimeter is showing same numbers on the turbo like in the s. So as i understand it cant be the alternator.

Tomorrow u will change the batterie. I will see what will happen after.

What i am wondering about it the following subject.

The car is locked. Lights switch off. But the dash is fully iluminated.

What the ...... Is this?

post-77547-0-96478700-1395529251_thumb.j

I changed the batterie for a new one. Starting normal. But after some minutes of running car starts to rev a little bit higher at 1000 and some time later batterie sign in display appears. I connect the multimeter to + and - in the engine bay. This is showing 13.8 / 14.00

Second round . Now the multimeter shows ZERO.

So for me it looks like the alternator is not working proper.

Now my question. How far is it possible to drive with a fully loaded battery and a faulty alternator?

Porsche Service is about 20 km away. Can i drive there?

• Moderators

Second round . Now the multimeter shows ZERO.

So for me it looks like the alternator is not working proper.

Now my question. How far is it possible to drive with a fully loaded battery and a faulty alternator?

Porsche Service is about 20 km away. Can i drive there?

Totally depends upon what is wrong with the alternator.

Last question please about this subject.

The car allways is cranking slowly. Even today with a new high power batterie. Is this also alternator related or different subject?

I read many times that these kind of behaviour could be related to alternator batterie cable issue. Could it be possible?

• Moderators

Last question please about this subject.

The car allways is cranking slowly. Even today with a new high power batterie. Is this also alternator related or different subject?

I read many times that these kind of behaviour could be related to alternator batterie cable issue. Could it be possible?

Most definitely, when corrosion starts in the cables (particularly in the cable ends), the resistance can go way up and everything in the electrical system (battery, alternator, starter) can suffer as a result. You should have the cables checked for voltage drop across them to check their condition.