Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil in Spark Plug Tubes

Mmm... I think 2005 will have the meal tubes (different design).

How many spark plug tubes have oil? How much oil?

This sounds very odd for these later model engines.

Two tubes, enough oil to drip out at a good rate.

Edited by Phil_D

Thanks. Do you know if the camshaft covers need to come off, or can you pull the tubes out with a boat drain plug?

Cam covers need to come off, which requires special tooling.

Thanks for the help, appreciated.

• Moderators

Sorry, forgot that. 2005 997.1 C2 3.6L MT

Mmm... I think 2005 will have the metal tubes (different design).

How many spark plug tubes have oil? How much oil?

This sounds very odd for these later model engines.

Loren, the part I was thinking of is 996-104-203-00, which sits under the cam cover and seals to the plug tube on the 2005 997.1 engines.

• Moderators

JFP, I think I got thrown with the word "tubes" since they are part of the engine in the post 2001 designs.

Have you seen those gaskets leak like this before? I have not -- but then these engines are starting to age...

I've not seen any of them leak, but we have changed a few while doing other maintenance items that required pull the cam covers. They do take a "crushed" shape when compressed and could leak if the cover was loosened or removed and they were not replaced for some reason.

I am not the first owner of this vehicle, but from the service history I have, the cam covers have never been off. I will post an update of what is found once I get it taken care of.

• 1 month later...

A quick update. Had all six tube seals and plug seals replaced. $50 in parts, a whole lot more in labor! Had the AOS replaced at the same time, as the motor was out of the vehicle and it seemed like a good time to change it.

Edited by Phil_D