Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear tire recommendations

Need rears before inspection next month.

99 C2

No mods

Sport Design wheels so std. size is 265/35-18

No track use is in the picture

Cost and longevity are my considerations

Just had alignment done a month ago.

Any advice or comment - or link to this topic elsewhere - would be appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming you're looking for summer tires and not all-season, the two popular choices for your situation and sizes are Continental DW (not DWS, which is all-season) and Bridgestone Potenza S04. Both have excellent reviews from car magzine and online Pirsche forums and best bang for the buck as well. Review of both here http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/continental-extremecontact-dw-page-6

Edited by Ahsai

• Hankook V12 evo best bang for the buck on the street and excellent rain tire

Oh yes, completely forgot about that one. I actaully have them on my other non-Porsche car and I'm very happy with them too. However, I've heard people complaining that they wear fast but I have no way to confirm since I haven't put enough miles on them.

• Hankook V12 evo best bang for the buck on the street and excellent rain tire

Oh yes, completely forgot about that one. I actaully have them on my other non-Porsche car and I'm very happy with them too. However, I've heard people complaining that they wear fast but I have no way to confirm since I haven't put enough miles on them.

I currently have the Hankook V12 Evo on my car (the came with the car from the previous owner.)

Here are my thoughts:

1. Great in the rain, especially here in rainy Pacific West Coast.

2. They perform "okay" - for the money and compared to other tires in its price range

3. You get a lot of road feedback. You feel all the bumps, nooks and cracks on the road. Gets kind of annoying.

4. They do wear out somewhat quick. Friends of mine were running them on their M3, S2000, and Subaru STi.

There's still plenty of tread left and it's a daily driver (c'est la vie) but if and when I need to replace them, I'd get something else completely and not get the V12s ever again.

Edited by bcrdukes

I like the Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs. Had them about 1K miles. Quiet, handle well in dry and wet, comfortable ride, and inexpensive. Replaced Michelin Pilots Sports, which I didn't like: noisy harsh ride (maybe good for the track, but not my daily driver).

Another member on Rennlist mentioned he was running 285s in the rear without any problems on his factory 18" wheels.

I have not seen any pictures nor has he reported issues of the tires rubbing against the fenders. Edit: i should mention, he was running Michellin PSS tires both as a daily and track tire.

Edited by bcrdukes

I have a 99 C2. 17's with 255's on the rear. Original wheels. I wanted the real wide look in the back so

I sent my wheels to Eric Vahn in Monrovia Calif. He Cut the wheels and added 1.5 inches to the width.

Maybe a 74 offset. Can't remember. What it did was let me put 295's on the rear and a great looking profile without

any camber/castor changes. No spacers. No longer lug bolts. No rolling the quarter panels.

I ended up with Kuhmo's and have a real wide tire in the rear with no rubbing, etc.

I think I went with 225's from a 215 in the front without changing a thing.

Looks good and very simple.

If you are wanting real wide rear tires without all the guess work... look him up.

I almost went with an 11" but wimped out and the 10.5 with the 295's is a good fit.

• 9 months later...

I have a 2003 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet and I just bought 4 Continental DWS Extreme Contact (ultra-high performance all season) tires. I was able to get 225/40/ZR18 for the fronts and 285/30/ZR18 for the rears. For MY 2003, I believe 285/30/ZR18 are the OE size, I have the 'alternative' wheel/tire package. I got them through Tire Rack for a screamingly low price and I have read nothing but great reviews.

After I break them in, I'll give you all a readout. I am pretty excited because I am also replacing my struts and coils in the rear and I just put new brakes on the front. I should be ready for a great summer of driving in my little 'go fast'!

From what I have read here on RennTech, you want to stay with OE, if you want to maintain optimal performance from your PSM...

The difference between 30's and 35's is .42" and apparently it makes a difference. Please let me know if you agree/disagree. I am going with what I know and I am thinking it is the best route.

Cheers!

I've been running 285x35x18 about a year now. The 285 rears fill up the wheel well nice in my opinion, and I've had no problems with scrubbing the fender. Switched to the 285 when I had a flat and got a used set of Michelin rears to try them out before getting new tires. Took me about 5-6 months to wear them down low enough to get a new set.

Just recently went with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 and have about 5k miles on them so far. Very pleased in this Georgia climate. So far, I've driven in heavy rain, sun, and some snow in Tennessee. I got the tires from Discount Tire and they matched the best price I could find on Amazon for both front and rears. Currently on 285x35x18 rears and 225x40x18 fronts. Stock 1999 911 Carrera C2 with stock twist wheels.

Attached are some pictures so you can see the tire sizes in relation to the car.

post-89112-0-47430600-1424679053_thumb.j

post-89112-0-08609100-1424680185_thumb.j

Edited by swaff

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I wanted to give you a readout on my Continental DWS Extreme Contact (ultra-high performance all season) tires. I installed the OE sizes for my car, which are 225/40/ZR18 for the fronts and 285/30/ZR18 for the rears.

I have now been able to drive both in dry weather and in rainy weather and I am totally in love with these tires! I could have stars in my eyes because I also had new brakes, struts and coils installed and it is like driving a new car. However, the way these tires grip the road and corner is amazing. I didn't have a lot of options and I was very nervous about being sort of forced into buying the Continentals and to be honest, they are not that 'pretty', but I love the way they handle the road. 

The other great thing about the tires is they were not very expensive, only $808.00 for four tires with shipping costs.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest, we have weather and I wanted to be able to drive my car. I am not one that doesn't drive in the rain...if I were, I would have a garage full of Porsche's! One for every day of the week...one for sunny days, cloudy days, rainy days, one for really rainy days, one for long road trips, one for the track and one to just look at... 

Just thought I would share my experience...

For all of you that are looking for a great tire...go Continental DWS Extreme Contact (ultra-high performance, all-season)!

Take care to all of my Porsche friends out there! Spring is in the air and our tops are going to be coming off...yeehah!

Julie 

Assuming you're looking for summer tires and not all-season, the two popular choices for your situation and sizes are Continental DW (not DWS, which is all-season) and Bridgestone Potenza S04. Both have excellent reviews from car magzine and online Pirsche forums and best bang for the buck as well. Review of both here http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/continental-extremecontact-dw-page-6

This is my suggestion. I'm running the S-04 on my car now, and love them. I can't give you any info on wear, as I've only had them a couple of months. Even in cold weather they do very well.

That being said, you should really match your front and rear tires. When I bought my car last year, It had Michelin Pilot Sports on the front and the S-04 on the rear. The difference in grip was very noticeable, the front end would wash out very easily while the rear tracked perfectly. ABS also engaged very prematurely, making the front of the car feel very disconnected. After putting matching S-04s on the front, it's a different car. Turn in is very sharp, and I have to deliberately try to engage ABS in all but the extreme coldest/wettest conditions.

Don't put yourself in a dangerous situation by running mismatched tires. 

• 4 weeks later...

Cost and longevity are my considerations

I hope that you are also weighing the cost of getting into an accident versus the additional cost of buying quality tires when you make your decision.

What I run - car driven year round but with zero track time and zero snow exposure:

Warmer Months:

Michelin Pilot Sport Radial X 225/40/ZR18 front, 285/30/ZR18 rear on BBS Sport Classic II rims.

When they wear out, I plan on replacing them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Cooler Months:

225/45/17 Kumo Ecsta ASX front, 255/40/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 rear on Boxster S rims

When the fronts finish wearing out, I plan on replacing them with 205/50/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s.

In my opinion, spending for the Michelins is worth it. I highly discourage running a summer tire in the colder months, as traction is reduced due to the tire not being run in its ideal temperature range. To work around this, I use a set of Boxster S rims with all-season tires in the colder months. With the exception of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s, all of my tires have come from previous owners. The Kumho Ecsta ASXs that originally came on the Boxster S rims are great for a budget tire; however, given the rear weight bias and tendency to snap oversteer, I try to avoid budget tires on my 1999 C2. While running mismatched fronts and backs is not recommended, I'm doing so because I drive significantly less aggressive in the winter months, and with the weight bias and rear-wheel drive, the rears tend to wear about twice as fast as the fronts.

Also a good read from a former Goodyear/Michelin employee:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/im-going-to-put-my-0-02-in-here-too-ok-his-got-rea-1175560222