Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where can I get the Cayenne Self-study guide?

Not sure if you're talking about these good reads. The second one here is for Cayenne and all the others are excellent as well including other models or focusing on specific topic for multiple models.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/files/category/90-after-sales-training-books/?sort_order=ASC&sort_key=file_submitted&num=10&filter_key=all&st=10

That would be it!

It's so **** dorky, but I just love reading this stuff. Just in the quick browse of the engine booklet, I now get why my coolant fluctuates between high noon and just past noon when I have the HVAC system completely shut off - even in relatively cool ambient temps. I would be idling in 60 degree weather with the HVAC system totally shut off and watch the coolant slowly rise, fans kick on, coolant goes down, fans shut off, rinse and repeat. But, everything was rock steady with the AC on. Searching the issue revealed plenty of posts stating "it's normal," and "it's not normal." Well, now I know it's designed to work that way. Most cars smooth out the engine coolant temp to prevent the unsuspecting driver from freaking out, but I'm glad to see Porsche didn't do that.

I also had no idea the alternator was liquid cooled. This site rocks!

• 3 months later...

That would be it! 

It's so **** dorky, but I just love reading this stuff.  Just in the quick browse of the engine booklet, I now get why my coolant fluctuates between high noon and just past noon when I have the HVAC system completely shut off - even in relatively cool ambient temps.  I would be idling in 60 degree weather with the HVAC system totally shut off and watch the coolant slowly rise, fans kick on, coolant goes down, fans shut off, rinse and repeat.  But, everything was rock steady with the AC on.  Searching the issue revealed plenty of posts stating "it's normal," and "it's not normal."    Well, now I know it's designed to work that way.  Most cars smooth out the engine coolant temp to prevent the unsuspecting driver from freaking out, but I'm glad to see Porsche didn't do that.  

I also had no idea the alternator was liquid cooled.  This site rocks!

I've been struggling with this issue myself.  My Cayenne was ALWAYS steady at 180, but it has recently fluctuated between 180 and about 220.  I have talked with the dealer and they have explained the same as the above quote, that it is normal and in spec.  That doesn't explain the change in my personal experience and from owner to owner on here.  I have been thinking of replacing my thermostat, thinking that perhaps it is working but not perfectly.  The dealer has talked me out of it thus far, but I'd prefer to have my car go back to the steady 180.

That would be it! 

It's so **** dorky, but I just love reading this stuff.  Just in the quick browse of the engine booklet, I now get why my coolant fluctuates between high noon and just past noon when I have the HVAC system completely shut off - even in relatively cool ambient temps.  I would be idling in 60 degree weather with the HVAC system totally shut off and watch the coolant slowly rise, fans kick on, coolant goes down, fans shut off, rinse and repeat.  But, everything was rock steady with the AC on.  Searching the issue revealed plenty of posts stating "it's normal," and "it's not normal."    Well, now I know it's designed to work that way.  Most cars smooth out the engine coolant temp to prevent the unsuspecting driver from freaking out, but I'm glad to see Porsche didn't do that.  

I've been struggling with this issue myself.  My Cayenne was ALWAYS steady at 180, but it has recently fluctuated between 180 and about 220.  I have talked with the dealer and they have explained the same as the above quote, that it is normal and in spec.  That doesn't explain the change in my personal experience and from owner to owner on here.  I have been thinking of replacing my thermostat, thinking that perhaps it is working but not perfectly.  The dealer has talked me out of it thus far, but I'd prefer to have my car go back to the steady 180.

I think most users that report steady 180 degrees have the HVAC on in one form or another.  That seemed to be something omitted from a lot of the "I have 180 degree temps at all times and I live in Texas" posts.  Are you saying you have 180 degrees with and without the AC on?  The thermostat *starts* to open at 180, but isn't actually fully open until 220 degrees.  The other cayennes I've been in operate the exact same way.  The fans are also speed dependent, so it's entirely possible to have steady temps in stopped traffic, but climbing temps in say 45 mph.  They never reach anything over 220 degrees, though.  I see this quite a bit in the mountains when I'm lugging up a pass.  I think it would be abnormal to see steady 180 degrees with the HVAC system totally off as that means the thermostat is stuck wide open.  

The water pump is a wear item. The impeller wears over time and as a result does not pump the coolant as efficiently as it should.

Some say the water pump should be changed every 60,000 miles.

Turning on the HVAC masks this rising temp effect by turning on the coolant fans and bringing the temp down.

Changing the water pump will probably solve this fluctuating temp issue if no other obvious defect is found.

I'll be changing my water pump this winter.  04 with about 110K miles on it.  Doing it preventatively as I have to fix a leaking metal coolant pipe leak.  Doing a bunch of other smaller coolant parts so that I can cover about everything.  I'll post up the condition compared to the new one.  

• 2 weeks later...

That would be it! 

Fact is that the Porsche did do that, and the temps are smoothed out. Between 69C and 97C mine (or either of the other 2 that I've scanned) does not move from the central 80C Norm mark.