Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Storing 996 for 6 months, recomendations?

I have to go overseas for 6 months in Afghanistan and need to store my 2004 996 TT. I am curious what all I should do when storing for this long? I imagine I should drain out all the gas, but what about other fluids? Should I take the wheels off and put the car on jacks to avoid the tires from flatting out or hurting the suspension at all? Any fluids I should put in it? I am storing it in a garage with a cover however it won't be driven for that 6 months. Its a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

I have to go overseas for 6 months in Afghanistan and need to store my 2004 996 TT. I am curious what all I should do when storing for this long? I imagine I should drain out all the gas, but what about other fluids? Should I take the wheels off and put the car on jacks to avoid the tires from flatting out or hurting the suspension at all? Any fluids I should put in it? I am storing it in a garage with a cover however it won't be driven for that 6 months. Its a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance.

Full tank of fuel mixed with StaBil fuel stabilizer (run or drive the car for about 15 min. after adding the StaBil to get it circulated), air the tires up to around 40-45 PSIG, change the oil and filter, make sure the battery is full (distilled water), clean the car inside and out, put the car on a quality battery maintainer (Ctek), cover it with a dust cover and let it sit on the ground (you should never store one of these cars with the suspension hanging, very bad for the struts). Chock the wheels and leave the car in neural with the parking brake off.

Have a safe deployment.

Thanks in advance.

Full tank of fuel mixed with StaBil fuel stabilizer (run or drive the car for about 15 min. after adding the StaBil to get it circulated), air the tires up to around 40-45 PSIG, change the oil and filter, make sure the battery is full (distilled water), clean the car inside and out, put the car on a quality battery maintainer (Ctek), cover it with a dust cover and let it sit on the ground (you should never store one of these cars with the suspension hanging, very bad for the struts). Chock the wheels and leave the car in neural with the parking brake off.

Have a safe deployment.

Awesome reply, thank you very much, I really appreciate it. Doesn't sound like it will be too much fuss. Is there a certain motor oil thats preferred for the 996 TT? The oil was just changed at the dealership where I bought it a few weeks ago, not sure what kind of oil they used besides Mobil. It wasn't a Porsche dealership but instead a Land Rover/Jaguar. Hopefully the mechanics did their homework and put the right stuff in, I imagine they did but you never know.

First of all, thank you for your service, keep your helmet strapped, head down and return safely!

Place several dryer sheets in car before covering and/or purchase some desiccant beads to absorb moisture and place in the interior. Your car will smell better after a long storage period.

Park your car on plywood (or rubber cow mats) which is forgiving on your tires(since they are over inflated) or better yet move the car 20 inches or so every 3 months to prevent tires from egg shaping by placing in neutral and pushing. Concrete transpires, so your tires will be oblong after storage. Don't let anyone start the car in storage unless they are going to drive it for a full tank of gas or more. Either drive it or park it, hard to do both.

Also, plug your exhaust with a rag to keep rodents out of the exhaust and tie a note to your keys to remove the rags from your exhaust before startup. In the spring some will push car in third gear without starting 20 feet or so to lube upper cylinder with motor oil before starting. Many recommend changing the oil again after a long storage of 6 months or more.

Lot of good ideas here, let us know what you do. Did I say thank you for your service!

Edited by kbrandsma

• Moderators

Thanks in advance.

Have a safe deployment.

Awesome reply, thank you very much, I really appreciate it. Doesn't sound like it will be too much fuss. Is there a certain motor oil thats preferred for the 996 TT? The oil was just changed at the dealership where I bought it a few weeks ago, not sure what kind of oil they used besides Mobil. It wasn't a Porsche dealership but instead a Land Rover/Jaguar. Hopefully the mechanics did their homework and put the right stuff in, I imagine they did but you never know.

If you do a quick search here, you will find the complete list of oils that Porsche has approved. As I am sure you are pretty busy, I've attached a link for you: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=357 The reason you want fresh oil is that normal contaminants found in oil form acids that accelerate the break down of the remaining oil and attack metal surfaces inside the engine. Fresh oil is always best going into storage.

• 2 months later...

I have to go overseas for 6 months in Afghanistan and need to store my 2004 996 TT.  I am curious what all I should do when storing for this long?  I imagine I should drain out all the gas, but what about other fluids?  Should I take the wheels off and put the car on jacks to avoid the tires from flatting out or hurting the suspension at all?  Any fluids I should put in it?  I am storing it in a garage with a cover however it won't be driven for that 6 months.  Its a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance.

(you should never store one of these cars with the suspension hanging, very bad for the struts). .

Will it be ok to store it if the wheels are removed as there is less weight for the struts? I was planning to store my 996TT for about 3 months in a lift until I read this...

Thanks

Edited by bsh

• Moderators

I have to go overseas for 6 months in Afghanistan and need to store my 2004 996 TT.  I am curious what all I should do when storing for this long?  I imagine I should drain out all the gas, but what about other fluids?  Should I take the wheels off and put the car on jacks to avoid the tires from flatting out or hurting the suspension at all?  Any fluids I should put in it?  I am storing it in a garage with a cover however it won't be driven for that 6 months.  Its a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance.

(you should never store one of these cars with the suspension hanging, very bad for the struts). .

Will it be ok to store it if the wheels are removed as there is less weight for the struts? I was planning to store my 996TT for about 3 months in a lift until I read this...

Thanks

No, it is not the weight on the struts, it is corrosion that sets in on the strut shafts while they are extended that ultimately kills the struts when they go back in service.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Ah I see. Would it be possible to coat them with some stuff to prevent this?

Thanks

Yes, but you need to be careful of what you use as you do not want to damage the seals on the struts when they go back in service.  The best thing is to just let the car sit on the ground.