Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

More bright xenon bulb than factory Xenon

Hello,

I have the Cayenne 2008 with xenon lights and I don't like factory bulb.

Because it looks white-yellow and it is not bright at all. Maybe I used to drive with Infiniti FX35.

So I have been searching more brighter D1S xenon bulb 8000k. But I can't find it.

Anyone, recommend the xenon bulb, 8000k, and blue color?

If I change a brighter xenon bulb, will it look like bright? I'm concerning about lens too.

Please advise me.

• Moderators

Hello,

Because it looks white-yellow and it is not bright at all. Maybe I used to drive with Infiniti FX35.

So I have been searching more brighter D1S xenon bulb 8000k. But I can't find it.

If I change a brighter xenon bulb, will it look like bright? I'm concerning about lens too.

Please advise me.

Most people seem to confuse HID light colors with output. Xenon bulbs come in a of colors (measured as their degree K temperature) and range from white to blue and even purple. You might want to visit the web site of xenon bulb makers as the often have color chart comparisons to help you decide which color is best for your application. You may want to take a close look out your outer lens as well, it may need polishing to help reduce the xenon beam dispersal.

• Moderators

JFP..... I read somewhere in the forum when people spoiled the lenses by wrong treatment.

Do you recommend something special?

Thank you

Yes, as little as possible is always the best path. Plexus (the plastic window cleaner) on a buffer is often enough, or one of the polishes ( I like Griot's fine glass polish and a random orbital buffer). 3M's synthetic cleaner wax also does a good job on lights that are not too far gone. Stay away from the kits that start with sandpaper, that is usually where DIY's go bad and entire headlights end up being replaced.......

Hello,

Please advise me.

8000K will have horrible light output. The factory 4300K temp puts out the most lumens (light) and that's why it's chosen by most OEMs. HID bulbs decay over time, so there is a good chance you just need to replace them. I usually replace my bulbs every 2-3 years as that's when they've decayed enough for me to notice. If you have original bulbs on that 08, then they're probably overdue for replacement.

Thank you, JFP in PA and wrinkledpants.

I mistook to write 6000k instead of 800k in the first post.

I have BMW M3 with 4000k and Infiniti FX35. They are more brighter than Cayenne.

I never think HID bulbs decay so fast. Current mileage is 64k and headlight lens are very clear.

Simply, compare with 2008 Cayenne and 2013 Cayenne, I feel 2013 model is much brighter than mine. So I want to make similar 2013 model.

Simply, compare with 2008 Cayenne and 2013 Cayenne, I feel 2013 model is much brighter than mine. So I want to make similar 2013 model.

The 2013 model also uses a D1S bulb, so maybe the reflective surface has been improved in the later model.

The 2013 model also uses a D1S bulb, so maybe the reflective surface has been improved in the later model.

Is it same bulb between 2008 and 2013? only reflective lens has been improved?

Is it same bulb between 2008 and 2013? only reflective lens has been improved?

Yes, same bulb - D1S, 35w, Porsche part number N 105 661 01. I'm only guessing about a possible improved reflective surface since you're stating that you observed the newer model being brighter.

How do your lens look? Are they hazed over or yellowed? Maybe a fine polishing kit will work. I'd only recommend the Griots or Meguiars kit as some of the cheap ones out there are too abrasive. Manufacturers of aerodynamic headlights have to comprise a little on looks and performance. BMW's tend to be pretty good depending on the model as most still use a round reflector under their aerodynamic lens, round is about the most efficient you can get. With that said I would say the lights in my '06 CTTS are pretty good but I do keep my lens nice and clean and clear. And as mentioned, HID bulbs can loose some brightness over the years. I just replaced all of the HID bulbs in the Cayenne and my two Audi's that use them (D2S in the Audi's) last year and it was just a barely noticeable improvement but it was there.

Edited by hahnmgh63

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to do a search as whether our Bi-Xeon lights ever need replace, aside from burn out.   I have an 04 and just replace my clear bra which included headlights, so lens are crystal clear.  What got me to thinking was when another car pulled along side of me and his headlights appeared to reach farther and where brighter....I actually felt as if I had halogen.  These are the original bulbs so they are 10 years old now, do they need replacing?  I dont want to throw money away if OEM replacement bulb will give me same results.

If I do or should replace, is OEM the only way to go or are there brighter / better alternatives.  Im not looking for that pubescent purple / fake HID look a lot of the ricers use, just the lighting up most of the road as legally or illegally possible, LOL

I've replaced a few sets of these in my cars including my original CTT. Getting 10 years out of them is great! In my experience they start to "fade" and then change color and ultimately flicker at about 80,000 miles. I've read that they're usually good for 3000 hrs, but am no expert.

Replacing with OEM sure fixed my issue.