Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Factory workshop manuals

g00sestepper

Hi

I am unsure whether this post is in the correct area / forum.

I have a MY2004 996 C4S and over the past few months I have been trying to source proper factory manuals et al for it.

So far, I have managed to get the following;

1) PET 7.3 plus updates (342/91).

2) Bentley manual (this seems to be a pictorial version of number 4 ish).

3) 101 projects for 996.

4) Factory manuals - I managed to get some PDFs online which show print dates of 1998/99 (quick google search). I also paid for some which were available on immediate download and they are exactly the same. This download also included POSES (is this just a more structured version of the PDFs above?)......

I am really confused re number 4 as surely there are updates to the manual? Is this a genuine manual? If so, is it just inserts that are printed off and manual updated? I am quite happy to pay for the real deal (whatever that looks like) as I would like the most up to date info. I have had another look on ebay and someone is selling a manual on cd where extracts of it are shown. I have tried to marry up the pages in the above mentioned where I can find some but they look newer in layout (more like the owners manual with those exclamation marks for notes etc)

Please could someone kindly explain the bare bones of what is genuine and what isn't?

Thank you for your help.

• Admin

POSES is basically an electronic format of support literature for all models. Some files were in PDF (later updates) as they moved to PIWIS but some of the early files were in odd or image only formats.

Oddly I always found a few things missing from POSES that were included in the paper manuals.

Paper manuals may still have the supplements (updates) available but you would need to find out what level your current manuals are at. If the updates were done properly then the updates should be reflected in both the table of contants as well as the footers on the changed pages. In all the 996 service manual had 99 supplements - I know I bought and paid for all of them.

TSBs were at one sold as a yearly subscription (about $450/year) that was updated monthly (expect that sometimes they did not ship the CDs out for 3 months). That program was also stopped when they changed over to PIWIS TSI. Now all TSBs are downloaded from PIWIS TSI on a one-by-one basis with a charge for each TSB (a real PITA).

Of course of you have a leased PIWIS tester and pay the $18,000 year lease these are included with the PIWIS tester.

Loren

Please excuse my ignorance with this. The manual I got was an electronic download. I thought it might be easy for you to check given that you said that there were 99 updates and so may have a record of what the last update was called (which I would assume is therefore reflected within the contents table as this would have been updated correctly by you!).

When you say 17 volumes, is there 1 volume per repair section, I.e. Group 5 - body being one and group 3 - transmission?

Thanks

• Admin

Some sections have more than one volume - some of the indexes are divided by pre-2001 cars and 2002 and later cars - and some indexes are divided by 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive.

Did you try and ask the seller of illegal copy?

Not all volumes may have a specific update - but in all there were 99 updates.

This is just one update (from 2005) that includes an additional volume (binder).

post-1-0-28436400-1401381341_thumb.jpg

Mmm, I don't think my PDFs span to that length!

Illegal? I paid for it on emanuals online so assumed it would be both legitimate and comprehensive.

Are electronic versions available in full for download rather than paper? Also, where is the best place to get them and how much do they cost?

Thanks

I have the 996 WSM with updated thru 2006 plus the OBDII manuals, Diagnostic manual, wiring diagrams up thru 2005, and other updates. PM or email me.

The 996 manual you have was made in 1999 and no one else ever bothered to get the updates or remake the manual with the later versions like I did. I have the 996 WSM with the update and supplements for the 3.6L engine that you have.

And Loren YES 2006 was the last POSES update. I have the POSES going back to the 72-83 911 model and the WSM are all in PDFs.

Edited by Porschelibrarian

I have the 996 WSM with updated thru 2006 plus the OBDII manuals, Diagnostic manual, wiring diagrams up thru 2005, and other updates. PM or email me.

The 996 manual you have was made in 1999 and no one else ever bothered to get the updates or remake the manual with the later versions like I did. I have the 996 WSM with the update and supplements for the 3.6L engine that you have.

And Loren YES 2006 was the last POSES update. I have the POSES going back to the 72-83 911 model and the WSM are all in PDFs.

Thank you for your help with this Porschelibrarian.

For anyone who requires workshop manuals / POSES etc then it is best to go through Porschelibrarian - fast, efficient, and inexpensive. As you can see from my original post, I have been scratching my head for some time with this, trying to get something which up to date. I have finally succeeded. I wish I had known about this sooner!

Thanks

Richard

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, tony z said:

Hi

Can anyone please tell me how to contact the porsche librarian to purchase a copy of the work shop manual that is quoted in his/her 30th May 2014 post .

Much appreciated.

cheers

Just send him a PM, he will respond.

Thanks Loren

Does anyone know where I can get an engine yoke so I can fix my engine to an engine stand. I presume that a convnetional engine stand with 4 or 5 fixing points isn’t satisfactorily and that I will need the engine yoke ? 

Cheers

• Admin
12 minutes ago, tony z said:

Thanks Loren

Does anyone know where I can get an engine yoke so I can fix my engine to an engine stand. I presume that a convnetional engine stand with 4 or 5 fixing points isn’t satisfactorily and that I will need the engine yoke ? 

Cheers

Pelican Parts sell them - but the 0ne for the 996 is about $1200 US).   :eek:

• 9 months later...