Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to remove fuel filler door

• Admin

Door - Insert a narrow screwdriver from above in front of the clip arrow A, press the fastening lug in direction of arrow B and hold, and carefully pull off the filler flap 1 upwards.

Hinge - Insert the removal tool at the locking lugs on the left and right and lift via the locking lugs, remove the plastic hinge 2 in direction of arrow from the filler flap 1.

post-2-1112643830_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My bodyshop could not get the tabs to compress enough to remove the fuel filler door (Step A). Eventually they had to break the plastic around the metal hinge pin (Step Z, not pictured). Even with the door removed, I could not extract the clips cleanly. So, I removed the remaining plastic in pieces(Step @#!%, not pictured).

BMW sells an identical hinge (apparently much cheaper than Porsche). When I picked up the fuel filler door, the new hinge was attached. I just snapped it into place.

• 3 years later...
Door - Insert a narrow screwdriver from above in front of the clip arrow A, press the fastening lug in direction of arrow B and hold, and carefully pull off the filler flap 1 upwards.

Hinge - Insert the removal tool at the locking lugs on the left and right and lift via the locking lugs, remove the plastic hinge 2 in direction of arrow from the filler flap 1.

post-2-1112643830_thumb.jpg

Hi Loren,

Do I need a special tool remove or install the fuel door hinge? If so, where can I buy one?

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

• 4 years later...

Ah, I need some quick help! I new I needed a new hinge so I ordered one, and thought the 996 number was superseded by a 997 number. The 997 hinge does not fit though! It hits where the tether attaches. Has anyone had this problem? Currently I have no means of attaching my fuel door, since I have a broken 996 hinge, and a non fitting 997 hinge :( Thanks in advance.

I moved the tether from the hole on the lower right to where it is now, not sure why that hole is there. However, then the spring hits it. So, I moved it back to the original hole, but put it in backwards. Seems to work well enough.

post-68261-0-40553800-1371771182_thumb.j

Edited by DK570

• 6 months later...

One of the first things I did when bought my car was to remove the tether. I've been doing this on every car I've bought since 2000, which is the first car I had that came with a gas cap tether. Except for the Porsche, the tether just guarantees that if the gas cap is dropped, instead of falling to the ground, it's going to swing and hit the side of the car. Around where I live, we still have full service gas stations, so you're better off forcing the attendant to put the gas cap on top of the pump when he removes it.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry Im late to this but I never use metal tools for work like this. Keep a set of these handy. There are many jobs they can be used for while working on your Porsche and they wont easily scratch it like a screw driver. Their perfect for CI and they wont scratch peoples cars. $15 at Auto Zone.

post-85078-0-05176200-1391208259.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Easiest way to remove the fuel door without breaking or scratching anything is to use a mini pair of longnose needle nose pliers.  "Not a Screwdriver".

I was able to remove the fuel door hinge in about 30 seconds. use the pliers to pinch the locking lugs.

1.Stick the pliers into the upper section A and pinch the lugs while pulling up slightly.   You will hear & feel the upper section of the hinge pull up slightly (about 1/8" inch)

• Thanks 1

2.  this is the tricky part.   keep gently pulling on the upper section with one hand so it does not snap back into the hole and put the pliers into the lower lug and pinch it. Pull up gently on the lower section, you should hear & feel it snap up.  

3.   Now tilt the whole hinge toward the back of the car, it should pivot up & out.

I wish I had some picture to help you see how this is done,  but I hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

I never did post what I finally ended up doing.  Here's what it looks like now:

Thank you!  I just needed to see where exactly the spring clip went back.  Had no problem with removal of anything, but forgot exactly where the clip attached.  Jenny

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2016 at 10:22 PM, palmerdog said:

Thank you!  I just needed to see where exactly the spring clip went back.  Had no problem with removal of anything, but forgot exactly where the clip attached.  Jenny

Hi, Did you ever get the answer as to where the spring fits on the hinge. My 996 came to me with the spring missing so i have no idea where the spring attaches to on the hinge side. anyone?

Phil

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2014 at 8:49 AM, hbob1 said:

Easiest way to remove the fuel door without breaking or scratching anything is to use a mini pair of longnose needle nose pliers.  "Not a Screwdriver".

I was able to remove the fuel door hinge in about 30 seconds. use the pliers to pinch the locking lugs.

1.Stick the pliers into the upper section A and pinch the lugs while pulling up slightly.   You will hear & feel the upper section of the hinge pull up slightly (about 1/8" inch)

I spent about 30 minutes trying to removing my fuel door. After I finally got down to your post about removing it with a long pliers, I was then able to remove it in 30 seconds flat. 

Here is the pliers that I used. Your description was spot on. The only thing I did different, I removed the fuel cap and put my finger behind the plastic to use as leverage in popping it up. I was concerned about breaking the plastic. Thanks a lot!

8284FAC3-D913-41E0-BAF2-4474654828EF.jpeg