Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The best choice is the Durametric for DIY use, but I found this the other day: http://www.icarsofttools.com/Porsche-iCarsoft-i960-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Scan-Tool-Reader_p_17.html

I have the BMW version for my kids Beemers, and it is a great bit of kit. A friend of mine bought the Porsche version a few days ago, and he is very pleased with it. Check eBay, as you will find it a lot cheaper there. Unlike most cheap handheld scanners, it will read and reset fault codes on all Porsche control modules, and it will also read live data from them.

If you use an Android phone, you can get the bluetooth OBDII dongle and the Torque app for $15 or so. That lets you read and clear OBDII codes and it shows and plots real-time sensor data as well. However, it won't be able to do anything with ABS, SRS, etc. For preliminary diagnostic, it's quite handy and it's hard to beat the price also.

There's also a wifi version for Iphones but a little more expensive.

Edited by Ahsai

I wanted to buy one from amazon but I dont know if it will reset the maintenance light on my cayenne. Does anyone know if the torque app can do that?

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1402243078&sr=8-6&keywords=bluetooth+OBDII+dongle

Unfortunately no, Torque app cannot reset any maintenance light. It can only reset the CEL.

From what i've gathered the Durametric is the one to Get (and I will be getting one) giving you the Most possibilities to read and work with the codes.

For something a little easier and usable on the go,I've been looking at this

http://www.lemurmonitors.com.

Wireless,can be kept in the car at all times and gives possibilities to monitor important data like fuel pressure,O2 values etc..can help isolate symptoms.

I'm gonna give it a try.as I'm on an iPhone.

Edited by Terlingua racer

Got the i960 Porsche tool. Will report back on efficacy due to CEL!

Great -- some actual photos of screens would be great.

I'm also curious about its capability. I wonder if it can read cam deviations and also what tests/output control it can perform.

Much cheaper than durametric and has no car limits.

Picked up the iCarsoft i960 This weekend. 

There's a video of the interface of this here:

Needs no batteries and plugs into the port perfectly fine.

I cleared a CEL Code with 4 Cylinder Misfires (Which is strange, since I JUST replaced the Cyls and Plugs about 4 months ago. Might be a weird occurence)

Very simple. Excellent tool! Highly recommended.

I don't think it will reset service indicators, which is more of a coding operation, and this is very much a scan tool.  It should read and reset codes in the other modules.  They say it will also show live data (actual values, presumably) so it should be a very handy diagnostic tool.

• Moderators

I don't think it will reset service indicators, which is more of a coding operation, and this is very much a scan tool.  It should read and reset codes in the other modules.  They say it will also show live data (actual values, presumably) so it should be a very handy diagnostic tool.

That could be a short coming as we see a fair number of cars who's owners are looking to reset the service indicators after a DIY oil change.

• Moderators

I purchased the Porsche Bluetooth OBD2 scanner interface from eBay and obd2 pro from the pay store, its an so that has all the fault codes references in memory

This pdf has all the codes if you want a reference:

http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/47098905/file.html

Unfortunately neither of these are Porsche specific, both are "generic OBD II" items, meaning they cannot access Porsche restricted code areas such as service alert reset, air bags, ABS/PSM, etc.  It will read and clear generic codes like O2 sensors, MAF, etc.

I purchased the Porsche Bluetooth OBD2 scanner interface from eBay and obd2 pro from the pay store, its an so that has all the fault codes references in memory

This pdf has all the codes if you want a reference:

http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/47098905/file.html

Unfortunately neither of these are Porsche specific, both are "generic OBD II" items, meaning they cannot access Porsche restricted code areas such as service alert reset, air bags, ABS/PSM, etc.  It will read and clear generic codes like O2 sensors, MAF, etc.

Porsche codes are also included in the App and document, have not tried but respect your advice about the Porsche restricted areas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You know you can reset the service indicator without any scan tool right?

Supposedly possible on '03's and some '04's, but apparently does not work on later models due to software changes.  I've never tired it.