Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HELP! Coolant leaking next to water pump

Hey all,

Looking for some help here. I developed a pretty bad coolant leak about a month ago, i was losing about 1 liter per week. When I got under the car i saw the dripping coming from the tip of the waterpump, and surrounding areas. Since the car had gone about 60k since it was last replaced I bought that and replaced it thinking that would be it. However, after assembling everything back together.... The leak seems to be coming out of whatever is next to it. Attached are a few pictures, any help as to what this is; or how to troubleshoot would be great!

post-81458-0-55024300-1406346081_thumb.j

post-81458-0-94377200-1406346088_thumb.j

Did you clean the engine case mating surface well and used a new gasket? Are you sure the leak is NOT from where the water pump mates to the engine? Water pump bolts torqued down per spec?

Edited by Ahsai

Cleaned with a credit card and yes to a new gasket, also torqued to 10ft lbs. I looked around the pump and couldn't see it leaking anywhere around it. I did notice that some of the old gasket seemed almost burn into the engine block, it wouldn't come off but was flash against the block.

The thermostat housing is adjacent and to the side and I think it is a mated surface with a small gasket.

I think a Tiptronic has an extra connection near there as well.

Mike

Replaced the tstat gasket and tstat when I did the water pump.

The thermostat housing is adjacent and to the side and I think it is a mated surface with a small gasket.

I think a Tiptronic has an extra connection near there as well.

Mike

Replaced the tstat gasket and tstat when I did the water pump.

Could be a possible hairline crack in the engine casing.

• Moderators

If you take a look at the photo Ahsai pointed out:

540482_x600.jpg

You will note a square opening on the right side of the pump cassette.  When in the car, that has a flat plate over it held on by some small bolts, and it can leak water if the gasket behind it fails, or the bolts come loose.

After letting it drain and dry for a few days, I put paper towels under the car and started filling the resivor with water. Instantly a puddle formed under the car, as I looked with a flash light I am now able to track water coming from the pocket ABOVE the water pump... What's really baffling is the fact it's pouring out of the car without any pressure. Is there a coolant hose I'm not seeing? I checked the coolant resivor for cracks and wear but it was replaced 40k miles ago, and doesn't show any signs of discoloration. I'm about to just start tearing the car apart...

• Moderators

After letting it drain and dry for a few days, I put paper towels under the car and started filling the resivor with water. Instantly a puddle formed under the car, as I looked with a flash light I am now able to track water coming from the pocket ABOVE the water pump... What's really baffling is the fact it's pouring out of the car without any pressure. Is there a coolant hose I'm not seeing? I checked the coolant resivor for cracks and wear but it was replaced 40k miles ago, and doesn't show any signs of discoloration. I'm about to just start tearing the car apart...

OK, here is an M96 out of the car (1999 C4), and the water pump has the black pulley towards the lower left of the photo:

DSC_3089.JPG

As you can see from the photo, there is not a lot above the water pump, other than the engine case.  You need to shine some light in there and clarify where it is coming from...............

AHSAI.... you're a gentlemen and a scholar! That little crappy plastic thing was spewing its guts all over the block. Worst part was it was about 90% broken, but still looked fully intact. As soon as I touched it for inspection is snapped clean off and crumpled out of the tube. I see people did a brass modern fitting using a tubing kit from home depot, I think I'll do the same instead of shelling out the 1.23 for another plastic one.

Thanks for the help! Glad to get my baby back on the road!

That's called the Oetiker style clamp which needs a special crimping tool and it's one time use. Most people just replace those with regular stainless steel hose clamps (e.g., Norma or any hgh quality european stainless steel clamps), preferably not the cheap types that cut into the hosse.

You can get that broken plastic couple as well for a few dollars. Mine lasted 10+ yrs and it's still going so when the time comes, I won't bother fabricating one with brass or whatever. All the parts are available here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=996-99-05&section=104-10

(except the non-OE stainless steel clamps)

AHSAI.... you're a gentlemen and a scholar! That little crappy plastic thing was spewing its guts all over the block. Worst part was it was about 90% broken, but still looked fully intact. As soon as I touched it for inspection is snapped clean off and crumpled out of the tube. I see people did a brass modern fitting using a tubing kit from home depot, I think I'll do the same instead of shelling out the 1.23 for another plastic one.

If I am mot mistaken modern organic coolants are not compatible with brass fittings.  If you are going to replace this fitting with a non-Porsche item I would use a plastic connector.

Ordered everything from Luke at Suncoast, upgraded the lower clamp to a regular worm one, and bought a plastic OEM replacement. I'll have the parts and the car back together Wednesday. I ended up just cutting the Oetiker clam and had to squeeze out the remaining plastic bits as it broke as well.

Thanks again for all the help!

If I am mot mistaken modern organic coolants are not compatible with brass fittings.  If you are going to replace this fitting with a non-Porsche item I would use a plastic connector.

Quite possible. That's another argument for going with OE parts (which I also proposed). No risks and no thinking required :)

Edited by Ahsai