Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE Porsche Sports Exhaust Please help

Just had my local mechanic install the PSE oem system for me.

I am not able to control the opening or closing of the flaps. Vacuum not an issue appears to be not responding through the button. I am basically in the open mode. Sounds great but wanted the ability to open close the exhaust.

Mechanic is telling me I need to go do dealership to have the PSE system coded and programmed.

Haven't seen anything on having the dealer program anything for me.

Any one have any insight or suggestions. I am suspecting install was not done correctly and would like to have more info what to do next and how to help troubleshoot.

• Moderators

Just had my local mechanic install the PSE oem system for me.

I am not able to control the opening or closing of the flaps. Vacuum not an issue appears to be not responding through the button. I am basically in the open mode. Sounds great but wanted the ability to open close the exhaust.

Mechanic is telling me I need to go do dealership to have the PSE system coded and programmed.

Haven't seen anything on having the dealer program anything for me.

Any one have any insight or suggestions. I am suspecting install was not done correctly and would like to have more info what to do next and how to help troubleshoot.

Year and model would be helpful.

• Moderators

The 2002 PSE is a straight analog system, that has a solenoid vacuum valve that closes the damper valve to quiet the system.  The system is not controlled by the DME, so there is no coding required.  Did your mechanic wire in the solenoid valve?  Here are the installation instructions for the PSE.  One note is that the instructions specify connection of a speed sensor wire to the PSE relay.  This is for putting the exhaust system in quiet mode between 15 ~ 25 mph.  I recommend not connecting that wire so that the default is that the system is in "loud" mode by default at all speeds.  

• Moderators

Thanks. Completely forgot that part.

It's a 2002 996 coupe C4S

Orient Express is on the money, on your car the only information the PSE gets from the car is the ground speed to close the system and comply with European noise regs.  No coding or activations are required to get the system to work.

Thanks for help folks..... still don't know what the issue is.   But got my shop to agree it has nothing to do with coding or programming for the PSE.

Also had Power Tech in New Jersey confirm they code for 997s, but there is not coding required for 996.

Still don't know what the issue is, going to have to troubleshoot.   Started her up today sounds great, so much nicer over the regular stock sound.

But, even though the shop believes everything was wired correctly, pressing the button does not close the flaps, little yellow indicator on the dash button does not even light up on when we click it - although it seems to be getting power.

Not sure where we are going to start the troubleshooting, welcome any advice...but tomorrow will be a brand new day to explore the mystery.

• Moderators

This assumes that the wiring is correct, and that you included the PSE wiring harness and the relay.  In the installation instructions I posted is the wiring diagram.  On thing you can do to make sure that the vacuum switch is good is to just hot-wire it with a 12v source.  If it quiets up, then you know that the electrical wiring was not installed correctly.  

If it does not quiet up, then the vacuum circuit was not installed correctly.

We are going to take a look at it tomorrow, I will have the shop give your advice a try thank you for the suggestion.  Will keep you posted.

There is also another 996 coming in for a tune up tomorrow with the factory PSE, shop owner wants to do a side by side comparison see if the they missed anything.

Saga continues - glad it is in the default open position in the meantime :)

Progress made!  Were able to run tests as suggested hot wiring a 12v source to vacuum switch, and it worked.

Electrical review looks spot on... we have landed on --- we may have a bad relay.... ordered a new one today at Paul Miller what another $200+ at this point :(.  Should have it in 2 days or so... everyone is optimistic that will solve it.

Mental note - disable speedometer lead when installing relay: 

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/2470-remove-pse-cutout-in-2-minutes-no-tools-required

Will keep you posted, once again thanks to all for you suggestions..getting close.