Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

00 boxster 2.7 liter need help p1341 codes

Hi I have just bought this car and need help. I was getting a few misfire codes from my obd scanner and a p1341 code. So I replaced all my coils and spark plugs now the only code is the p1341. Today I received my durametric and I ran at start up and idle camshaft position deviation and on bank 1 I got 12.25 and on bank 2 I got -6.69. I also got cat, fuel tank vent and secondary air system failure. The car has 116,000 miles on it . I just changed the oil and check the filter and there was no metal in it. I also added an Ln magnetic drain plug. What should my first course of action be. I didn't know if it would be cheaper to buy a low mileage engine but then come the other preventive maintenance. Should I replace the actuator assembly on each side and do the ims and clutch. Do I need both sides done. Do I need to replace the chain tensioners. So what should I do. Any and all help will mean the world to me. I just bought this privately and the owner must have cleared the codes because their was no check engine when I bought it but he dosnt wanna take care if anything

• Moderators

Hi I have just bought this car and need help. I was getting a few misfire codes from my obd scanner and a p1341 code. So I replaced all my coils and spark plugs now the only code is the p1341. Today I received my durametric and I ran at start up and idle camshaft position deviation and on bank 1 I got 12.25 and on bank 2 I got -6.69. I also got cat, fuel tank vent and secondary air system failure. The car has 116,000 miles on it . I just changed the oil and check the filter and there was no metal in it. I also added an Ln magnetic drain plug. What should my first course of action be. I didn't know if it would be cheaper to buy a low mileage engine but then come the other preventive maintenance. Should I replace the actuator assembly on each side and do the ims and clutch. Do I need both sides done. Do I need to replace the chain tensioners. So what should I do. Any and all help will mean the world to me. I just bought this privately and the owner must have cleared the codes because their was no check engine when I bought it but he dosnt wanna take care if anything

As that is a five chain motor, most likely the excessive cam deviation values on both banks (limit is +/- 6 degrees) is due to wear on the tensioning pads in between each cam on the cylinder heads:

424641d1267857162-chain-tensioner-or-chaCam+chain+wear+pads+0021332090429.jpg

This is a common problem on the five chain design, and one of the reasons Porsche went to a three chain layout.  Not difficult to repair, but you will need some specialized tools, and this has be covered as a DIY, so run a search for the details.

• Moderators

The durametric said bank 1 is under limits. I also read that the deviation is the ims going out. What do you think I should do. Should I replace the whole actuator assembly with a new one and replace the ims and clutch.

Sorry, but, " Today I received my Durametric and I ran at start up and idle camshaft position deviation and on bank 1 I got 12.25 and on bank 2 I got -6.69." tells me that both banks our outside the +/- 6 degree specs.

Again, unless the deviation values are swinging back and forth wildly at idle, it is not an IMS issue (If the values you posted remain steady at idle, your IMS is still OK.) or the cam actuators, it is wear on the parts indicated above, as the VarioCam actuators do not function at idle, only at higher RPM's.  You can prove that for yourself by triggering the VarioCam actuators one at a time at idle using the Durametric.  Your idle should become lumpy and the cam values should jump about 25 degrees; it they both do this, the actuators are fine. 

While updating the IMS on these engines is always a good idea, if you did replace it, it would not correct your cam deviation issues.  When we get a car in for an IMS retrofit, one of the first things we do while pre-qualifying the car is check the cam deviation values; if they are out of spec like yours, we will not do an IMS retrofit unless the issues causing the deviation problem are also corrected.  We know only too well what will happen if the deviation problem is not corrected; the car will get a new IMS, promptly start throwing codes due to the cam deviation, and the shop will get blamed for a problem that was already there before we touched it. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you so very much JFP in Pa, you just helped me out so much and answered all my questions retaining to this. I'm from Pa too , I live in Bensalem Pa. Where are you located. Would be awesome if your shop was around me lol if northeast transmission wants $525 to do a clutch in my car , how much extra do you think an ims bearing install should be. I just received my other piwis tool from eBay it was so cheap I haas to try it out $30. It is an older version of durametric version I think it said 3.0 from 2005. It came with a disc and obd2 cord . It does almost everything my new durametric does except I couldn't find how to activate the actuators and stuff like on the new durametric. But the codes popped right up like on the new one and all the modules and you can pick from any year it fits. Unreal can't belive they can copy someone else's product and sell it

• Moderators

Thank you so very much JFP in Pa, you just helped me out so much and answered all my questions retaining to this. I'm from Pa too , I live in Bensalem Pa. Where are you located. Would be awesome if your shop was around me lol if northeast transmission wants $525 to do a clutch in my car , how much extra do you think an ims bearing install should be. I just received my other piwis tool from eBay it was so cheap I haas to try it out $30. It is an older version of durametric version I think it said 3.0 from 2005. It came with a disc and obd2 cord . It does almost everything my new durametric does except I couldn't find how to activate the actuators and stuff like on the new durametric. But the codes popped right up like on the new one and all the modules and you can pick from any year it fits. Unreal can't belive they can copy someone else's product and sell it

If you are already doing the clutch, also doing the RMS and IMS only adds another hour or two labor plus the parts.  Check with your local PCA chapter for a good list of quality shops in your area that specializes in Porsches.

You need to both can the old Durametric clone as it is woefully out of date and of questionable origin, and use the new version 6 sytem. Your real Durametric should be able to test activate an entire laundry list of components in your car, so I would suggest becoming more familiar with its menus and how to test systems.  You can download a complete manual for the system at their website which will help you familiarize yourself with its capabilities: http://www.durametric.com/support.aspx

What is your advice on putting two used camshaft tensioner actuator/ solenoids on each bank with new slides . I'm looking at a pair from a 01 996 and I checked the part numbers and they are the same on the actuator but I couldn't see about the solenoid but I believe they are the same on 00 boxster the solenoids are gold and on. 01 they are black on the. 01 carrera. Now will the camshafts from the. 01 carrera fit my. 00 boxster 2.7. And if they do would it be ok to get them regrind or if I did that would I have to do a lot of other stuff. I am also adding headers a full exhaust.

• Moderators

What is your advice on putting two used camshaft tensioner actuator/ solenoids on each bank with new slides . I'm looking at a pair from a 01 996 and I checked the part numbers and they are the same on the actuator but I couldn't see about the solenoid but I believe they are the same on 00 boxster the solenoids are gold and on. 01 they are black on the. 01 carrera. Now will the camshafts from the. 01 carrera fit my. 00 boxster 2.7. And if they do would it be ok to get them regrind or if I did that would I have to do a lot of other stuff. I am also adding headers a full exhaust.

As a matter of policy, we do not change any parts that have not been demonstrated to be defective.  That is what diagnostic procedure's  are for.  As noted earlier, the actuators and solenoids can be individually tested to verify function, and as they are like a light bulb and either work or they don't, I would not change them without reason.  As for replacing proven defective parts with used units; again, we would not go there as there are just too many downsides.

Unless the cams already in the engine show abnormal wear, which would be an extreme rarity, I would not change them.  As for regrinds, that would need to be done by someone that really knows the M96 engine profile, as a lot of engineering has already gone into the cams already in the car, and the OEM cam profile is pretty much maxed out for the engine without going through the cylinder heads, etc..  I personally can only think of a couple people I would trust for that, and they would probably tell you the same thing.

When it comes to going through one of these engines to get more power out it, you are going to be looking at spending between $15-20K, and that money must be spent very wisely (read spent on things that matter rather than the normal "hot rod" stuff).