Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So popped for a PPI on a 1999 vehicle I was very serious about.  Came back clean- no RMS leak/ running strong, etc- full written report, paid him.  I found out (won't say how) that another buyer had a PPI on the car recently elsewhere.  I called the second garage (dealer- I did not pay) and while they didn't share the report for the other guy they let on that they found RMS leak and bank 1 cam seal leak.  Also recommended a tune up.  This second mechanic said it was possible that the seller did some work after the first report, but when I checked the seller made clear that they didn't.  

So my question (if I should see this in future b/c I'm walking away from this one) is about appearance of the problem and trust.  

Do the leaks appear and then not?  Seems unlikely.  I suppose the underside can be cleaned but wouldn't this be obvious?

Is a dealer who sells used cars gonna knock an indy lot's car hoping you buy from them?  Are they gonna recommend a tune up on every used car because its so profitable for them?

Is the guy you pay more reliable to me then the one you don't?  Is a dealer better or worse for reliable PPI?

Thnx

I have no idea if your seller did work after the fact or what your specific situation is so I won't opine on that.

But a PPI is really just a basic sanity check and is by no means comprehensive or an end-all.  It's a ~ 1 hour checklist that a mechanic goes through with the car on a lift.  Not all mechanics are equal.  It's important to get an experienced mechanic who knows these cars well -- different guys could see different things.  Hopefully if there's something major they would catch it.  A leaking RMS is pretty easy to see and is one of the things they should be looking for if they know these cars.  But I've seen numerous instances where one dealer PPI noted something and another didn't.  So it's not really about dealer vs indy doing a PPI, in my opinion, it's more getting the sharpest guy you can to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb.  A PPI can miss plenty, believe me.  It's just a last-ditch safe-guard before you pull the trigger on a car purchase.

• Admin

In most cases a "tune-up" (which today involves primarily new spark plugs and inspections) is almost always recommended when you do not know when the last time a proper tune-up was done.

I would recommend that and fluid changes on any used vehicle that does not have service/maintenance records.

• Moderators

So popped for a PPI on a 1999 vehicle I was very serious about.  Came back clean- no RMS leak/ running strong, etc- full written report, paid him.  I found out (won't say how) that another buyer had a PPI on the car recently elsewhere.  I called the second garage (dealer- I did not pay) and while they didn't share the report for the other guy they let on that they found RMS leak and bank 1 cam seal leak.  Also recommended a tune up.  This second mechanic said it was possible that the seller did some work after the first report, but when I checked the seller made clear that they didn't.  

So my question (if I should see this in future b/c I'm walking away from this one) is about appearance of the problem and trust.  

Do the leaks appear and then not?  Seems unlikely.  I suppose the underside can be cleaned but wouldn't this be obvious?

Is a dealer who sells used cars gonna knock an indy lot's car hoping you buy from them?  Are they gonna recommend a tune up on every used car because its so profitable for them?

Is the guy you pay more reliable to me then the one you don't?  Is a dealer better or worse for reliable PPI?

Thnx

First of all, a PPI has to be independent of the seller, it is your last chance to catch anything before spending your money.  A PPI by the selling dealer is never a good idea.

Secondly, it is not unknown for a seller to take some remedial action on PPI "deduct" items.  If the problems are correctly fixed, it is a good thing.  But it is also possible to hide issues like oil leaks by cleaning the engine and using heavier weigh oils to slow the leak down, or short filling the sump to help hide it.  The leak would appear fixed, but is really not.

When looking for someone to do a PPI on your behalf, check sources like your local PCA chapter for resources in your area.

Hello,

I did a little research and found a very comprehensive article on doing a PPI that was kind of interesting. It can be found on Pelican Parts, written by Paul Lighthill out of Palm Springs, CA.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_prepurchase/911_prepurchase.htm

It was originally published in Market Letter Porsche Automobiles in 2000. It contains a process for the PPI, a check list and information about different models and years. Might be worth a quick read.

Julie

• Upvote 1