Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DME Ready status (smog related)

Hi all,

I am looking for some troubleshooting guidance before I get my '08 Boxster S smog. 

I've tried twice following the BMW drive cycle (2:10 @ cold idle, 3:15 @ 28mph, 15min @ 58mph, 5:00 @ hot idle). 

After which, my Durametric shows only the Evap (gas cap seal) and O2 sensor heater are in Pass (ready) status. However, my catalytic converter efficiency, O2 sensor and Secondary-air system (SAI) are fail (not ready) state. 

My understanding is that the DME cycles through the SAI readiness during the 2:10 cold idle cycle. However, since the SAI still shows fail/not ready, I don't know if there is a problem with the SAI? I have no CEL/code related to SAI. Is the SAI not activated b/c the ambient temp is not cold enough for the pump to kick on, and therefore it didn't cycle through? 

I suspect the O2 sensor, and therefore cat eff, could be result of my FVD tune. I'll have to flash back to stock if that makes a diff.

For now, I am hoping to get some guidance on the SAI issue.

Thanks!

• Moderators

We have seen problems with some of the after market DME programs that prohibit the car's ability to pass some state emissions tests.  In some cases, going back to stock was the only option that worked.

If you have access to the Durametric software, you can test activate the SAI system using it to see if it is working properly.  I remain circumspect of the re-flash however, as the car supposedly has a cat efficiency issue, an O2 issue, and SAI issue, and no codes, which is a bit more than odd.

JFP is already spot on, as usual.  I had a different but somewhat similar issue that could only be fixed by flashing back to stock.  Strange thing was Durametric and PIWIS were all showing no codes and all READY states and a "pass" for emissions.  But the state emissions folks would fail it every time.  I ended up working my way into the company that makes the 3rd party software and talked to their software experts.  At least in that particular state it sounds like they were able to tell my code wasn't stock (similar to a checksum).  State emissions tests in some places have gotten highly sophisticated.  This initially surprised me because it's the government, until I realized that it's all outsourced to a 3rd party software vendor.

As far as no codes, I also find that very strange.  I would reflash back to stock to put you on level ground and then see where you are.  Some flashes will purposely suppress error codes from the DME as part of their "defeats" strategy.... hard to really tell what's going on until you reset yourself back to a known state.

• Admin

In most states (especially California) there have to be enough drive cycles since the last (emissions) fault code. They force this on the manufacturers so that you can not reset the code - get a quick test that passes - then the fault codes on again.

I have seen a Boxster take a week to come to "Ready" state - and that was with the owner driving to work 5 miles each day.

I do not think there is any shortcut around this - and if there were the feds would like fix that too...