Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Newbie and need help please Carrera 4 2002

Porsche Carrera 4

Full service

Only 90,000 miles

Silver cab/inc hardtop

Hi guys I have just brought myself a 2002 Carrera 4 Porsche silver cab with a hard top I'll uploads pictures as well.

Anyway I brought the car with only the airbag light on-

On the way home I put my foot down to see what the car had to offer,engine light come on saying please take to Porsche dealer or something!

The codes that come up was

P0022- a camshaft position over retarded-bank 2

post-98680-141381474555_thumb.jpg

P0300-random/multiple cylinder misfire detected

post-98680-141381477647_thumb.jpg

P0304- cylinder 4 misfire detected

post-98680-141381484921_thumb.jpg

P0305- cylinder 5 misfire detected

post-98680-141381486699_thumb.jpg

P0306- cylinder 6 misfire detected

post-98680-141381488104_thumb.jpg

I also plugged my scanner in while the car was running and took some pictures of the fuel timing but not quite sure how to read them,if there good or bad.

Hop you guys can help these are the fuelling timing pictures.

https://vimeo.com/109462527

post-98680-141381513464_thumb.jpg

post-98680-141381514645_thumb.jpg

post-98680-141381515748_thumb.jpg

post-98680-141381517278_thumb.jpg

If anyone could give advise before I start paying out loads of money or going to the stealers that would be much appreciated.

Thanks Ljonesy90

• Moderators

The first thing I would do is get the car scanned on a Porsche specific system; quite often, generic or "global" OBD II scan tools come up with misleading or completely erroneous codes.  You are also going to need a Porsche scan tool (PST II, PIWIS, Durametric) to read and clear the air bag fault as well; there are very few (and very expensive) aftermarket scan tools that can do that.

You appear to have multiple misfire codes, which while annoying, are not life threatening to the car.  These can be anything from old sparkplugs to bad coil packs, which will need to be isolated and corrected most likely by replacing the failing component's.

Get the car rescanned, noting all the codes, and then clear them.  Drive the car and see what comes back, if anything.  You would then have a valid basis to move forward on getting the car fixed.

Hi thanks for the reply car is booked in for Friday so we shall see how it goes :),I'm just hoping the cam chain hasn't slipped and it's something like the actuator in bank 2,as I can't see 1 bad plug or coil causing multiple misfire but you never no hey this is a bloody Porsche.

I'll update more when I go to Porsche, I did also scan the car with my snap on tool and cleared then but they still come back with the same codes so I don't think they will be any different on the porsche system.

Thanks guys Ljones90

No direct experience but found this thread mentioning P0022 troubleshooting for 996 Turbo. I think it may also apply to your model.  The diagnostic steps call for testing the variocam+ timing hydraulic solenoid using a special tool, which most likely simulates the DME and supplies PWM pulses to activate the solenoid. So if those codes are real, the simplest case could be just a faulty bank 2 timing solenoid, which also explains the bank 2 misfires.

Edited by Ahsai

I did also scan the car with my snap on tool and cleared then but they still come back with the same codes so I don't think they will be any different on the porsche system.

For what it's worth, that doesn't really indicate anything though IMHO.  In other words, I would still always scan with a Porsche-specific tool (PIWIS/PST2/Durametric).  I have seen generic readers give the wrong information on numerous occasions.  Not saying that the codes you have are wrong, but they are definitely not 100% reliable coming out of a generic reader and could potentially lead you down a wrong, and more expensive, path.

I'm hoping its this simple,my friend who Remaps cars says it looks like a vacuum leak by looking at my fuel timing.. Hope it's just a simple solution,I might just get the garage to change the part from 1 bank to the other bank to eliminate the problem,iv seen the parts are only around £100 each so I'd get them both changed on bank 2 if that is the problem :) thanks for the advise so far guys I'll update tomorrow as soon as they have finished.

Thanks Ljonesy90!

I did also scan the car with my snap on tool and cleared then but they still come back with the same codes so I don't think they will be any different on the porsche system.

For what it's worth, that doesn't really indicate anything though IMHO. In other words, I would still always scan with a Porsche-specific tool (PIWIS/PST2/Durametric). I have seen generic readers give the wrong information on numerous occasions. Not saying that the codes you have are wrong, but they are definitely not 100% reliable coming out of a generic reader and could potentially lead you down a wrong, and more expensive, path.

+1. Also, Porsche scanner also allows you to check the cam timing in realtime. A proper diagnostic is needed for these cars as throwing parts at it will get expensive quickly.

Hi guys thanks for the reply,dropping the car off to have a look to see if swapping banks works,last night I started the car bit of smoke and after 10 second went away,went to the shop and as I was doing about 45mpg 3rd or 4th gear I had a massive puff of white smoke,now I can't say if it was out of both exhausts or one,but it was bad enough to fill a single lane bypass,this leads me to a bad air oil separator,maybe this could be the problem as well.

I don't tno how the garage check on these cars for a faulty aos.

I'll update today when they have looked over the car.

Thanks.

• Moderators

To check the AOS, try removing the oil fill cap in the trunk while the car is idling; if it comes off easily and the car starts to idle funny, you are fine.  If the AOS is bad, you will have a hard time removing the cap due to high vacuum in the system.