Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dension Gateway 500S BT installation

NIck - a bit of searching might turn up some useful info. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

If you're installing the 500S - you may as well eliminate the CD changer. They both can't function at the same time (you have to disable the 500S to make the changer work) and while I did buy the extended cable kit so I could keep the changer - it was useless, I've NEVER used it since I installed the 500. Instead I found a 4G classic iPod for cheap (has a weak battery - which doesn't matter for this use) and ripped ALL my CD's to it (about 2,500 tracks) and it lives in my console, never removed. The 500 keeps it charged well enough even with the weak battery.

As a quick suggestion - you could mount it in place of the CD changer and if you're nimble with your fingers and have small hands you should be able to remove the optical cable connector from the changer and plug it right into the 500S. You then need to run the microphone forward (they sell an extension cable for it) and the auxiliary in and iPod connector (they also sell extensions for those), not too awful a job. OR - take the changer out of the loop where it connects at the back of the radio (your installation manual explains how) and install the 500S in that area. It is VERY tight up there, not a lot of room for it, but I have mine wedged behind the radio. The cables that came with it will be long enough to get into the console and you can mount the bypass/reset switch inside the glove box.

As far as step by step - it's outlined here somewhere, a search should turn it up. Search on "dension" (and try "Denison" also - a lot of people misspell it.)

Thanks deilenberger. Taking the CD changer out of the loop would be great, but I thought I needed the special part that creates a loop for a MOST device. The installation manual is very vague. I'm confused about how I can take the CD changer out of the loop where it connects to the back of the radio because I thought that all of the MOST devices are connected together like in series. Isn't there just one MOST connector that plugs into the back of the head unit, and wouldn't I unplug everything if I did unplug it?

You do have to swap around some of the MOST fibers if you mount it behind the radio so they CD changer is out of the loop and the interface replaces it. It's not hard to do - but the loop is directional, so making a drawing of what needs doing is worthwhile. I believe the Dension instructions give you some idea of how to do this.  If you mount it where the changer is - using the fiber going to the back of the changer, you just unplug the connector from the back of the changer and plug it into the interface. That takes the changer out of circuit obviously and replaces it in the loop with the interface.

FWIW - it's been several years since I did this.. so I may be full of fudge..

Edited by deilenberger

well I used the MOST of the cd changer - as mine came without one - so I installed everything on top of the rear tyre - next you will need to look under the passenger (? mine is a uk so right is driver seat) seat for the phone and pull that out and use the adapter to close the loop again .. then update the software via USB and you should be good to go. I also used the power from the changer which is already present ...

I have to install the Gateway unit close to the driver's area because it also has the microphone for cell phone Bluetooth function. It's my understanding that the Gateway unit has to be the last device in the loop. Currently, the CD changer is. So, that means I have to disconnect the cable that plugs into the CD changer, then plug my new optical cable into that, run it to the front of the car, plug it into the Gateway, and then, from the Gateway, run optical cable to the head unit, thus restoring the loop. Correct? 

Thanks deilenberger. Taking the CD changer out of the loop would be great, but I thought I needed the special part that creates a loop for a MOST device. The installation manual is very vague. I'm confused about how I can take the CD changer out of the loop where it connects to the back of the radio because I thought that all of the MOST devices are connected together like in series. Isn't there just one MOST connector that plugs into the back of the head unit, and wouldn't I unplug everything if I did unplug it?

You can take it out of the loop back at the changer connection. There is a loop through female connector available that you simply plug the CD fiber connector into - and the signal is looped out of the incoming fiber and into the outgoing fiber. 

Then at the back of the head unit, you unplug the connector and remove the incoming (return) fiber from the connector and put it into a new connector in the incoming position. You then use a short length of fiber to connect the outgoing connection on the new connector to the incoming return position on the plug that goes into the back of the PCM. 

Plug your new connector into the Gateway and it should now be the last item in the loop.  The loop still goes to the back of the vehicle - but it just loops through, just like it would if the CD changer wasn't installed originally.

Not sure all the parts you need are included with the kit IIRC - it's been a long time since I did it.  I had ordered the cable extension kit - which is supposed to be used to reconnect the CD changer (to the other port on the Gateway.)  It came with two pairs of extension fibers and the needed connectors for them. Turns out only one pair was needed - so I had extra fiber and connectors available to use. And since I'd added the CD changer - I also had the loop-through used back there - since the car wasn't delivered with a changer (but was pre-wired for it.)  You might have to locate one of these somewhere (I know it can be ordered from Porsche for silly money, but I seem to recall finding them available for little money out on the Interwebz.

At least that's what I remember now - been almost 4 years since I did this little project.

Edited by deilenberger