Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi everyone,

Replaced the Pipes on 05S 4 years ago. 

Recently, car is displaying "Check Coolant level" and coolant level is dangerously low. Last top off was only 2 - 3 weeks ago. There is no visible mark below the car of any leaks when parked in garage. I parked it outside in the cold last night and got this warming again. It's raining, and I can't verify if there's a leak.

Anyone know what might be the issue?

126K KMs. About 80K Miles. 

I've got Water Pump from Pelican parts in my shopping cart ready to order. But since I live in Canada, I want to order anything that might be the issue all in one go.

Thanks!

.C

• Moderators

Hi everyone,

Replaced the Pipes on 05S 4 years ago. 

Recently, car is displaying "Check Coolant level" and coolant level is dangerously low. Last top off was only 2 - 3 weeks ago. There is no visible mark below the car of any leaks when parked in garage. I parked it outside in the cold last night and got this warming again. It's raining, and I can't verify if there's a leak.

Anyone know what might be the issue?

126K KMs. About 80K Miles. 

I've got Water Pump from Pelican parts in my shopping cart ready to order. But since I live in Canada, I want to order anything that might be the issue all in one go.

Thanks!

.C

Before ordering any parts, you need to get the vehicle up and verify where the leak(s) are first.  There are several potential points where it could be leaking.

I would first check the coolant reservoir. Mine started leaking at ~95k miles (also no smell, no visible leaks, just that dreaded check coolant level warning every other day). I pressurized the tank and sure enough there was coolant dripping slowly from the seams. Got a new reservoir for under $100 from ecs tuning, fast delivery, quick replacement.

If that's the case, you'll also need more coolant unless you manage to siphon out the one that's already in the tank.

Top the coolant reservoir up to the right level when the car is cold.  Make sure the car is parked in its normal parking place when you do this. Use the vehicle and bring it up to operating temperature and return the car to the same spot and allow to cool overnight. Check the coolant level in the morning when the car is cold.   The coolant level should be the same on consecutive days.

It is important to have the car parked in the same location as surface gradient can alter the level in the coolant reservoir. If you can find an absolutely level spot, then that's better.    

When I do this I park in the same spot in the car port and I put a chalk mark on the ground to mark the mid point of the tyre contact. 

H

No need. If equipped w air suspension just raise it I the highest setting and make sure you deactivate it by pushing and holding the switch forward for 5sec until message displayed. Next, remove underbody trays and look for the drain plug on passenger side all the way in the front. You can unscrew the metal bracket thats right below it, for easy access, no need to remove it completely just remove the two screws on passenger side and slide it towards the rear (i used a wire hanger to secure it in that position). Place a bucket under it and using a large flathead screwdriver just unscrew the large plug (it's a big, blue plastic screw) and just move out of the way as coolant will start gushing out.

Screw plug back on and refill your system. I use and highly recommend the uview airlift tool as it makes refilling so much easier and eliminates the risk of air bubbles being trapped in the system. I used I believe a gallon of undilluted coolant mixed 50/50 w distilled water. In the end it's a good idea to pressurize the system at the top of the reservoir but that's like if you wanna be really thorough. That's all. Keep checkig the coolant level in the reservoir (when cold, of course) see if it stays constant. That's all there is. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

You're very welcome. You could probably get It done without jacking it up as there's plenty clearance especially with the plastic trays off (I just loathe working under cars on jacks). I also use a couple of wood planks and drive the front wheels right on them; that gives me enough room to do most of the work, oil changes and whatnot.

Take care

• Upvote 1

To be honest I only used the one in the trunk just once, for a punctured tire (if I remember correctly the manual states that it should be used for that purpose exclusively); for my coolant jobs, both pipes and reservoir I just borrowed a pancake style one, i think they sell at lowes for less than a hundred when on sale. The uview lift and the pressure tester I got on amazon. If you use the uview system you'll need to buy an adapter, it doesn't come with it. It's a couple of bucks at lowes, I'll send you a picture of it when I get home.

• Upvote 1

If I remember correctly I used a whole jug of undiluted coolant (I believe it's 3.8 liters). Mixed it with equal parts distilled water, so total I'd say around 8 liters of solution.

If you use the airlift system just make sure that you place your vessel w mixed solution at the same level with the coolant reservoir and immerse the suction hose all the way to the bottom of the vessel; keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't twist around and allows air to be sucked in, thus defeating the whole purpose of vacuum filling.

I'd say a 3.8 liter undilluted coolant jug is sufficient but if you wanna be on the safe side maybe have another liter available if you notice the airlift getting close to running out of liquid. Just close the vacuum, mix the extra coolant w equal water, add it to the vessel and resume the filling.

• Upvote 1