Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Autel MaxiDAS DS708

Hello,

Anyone have first hand experience with this Scanner?  The Autel MaxiDAS DS708  http://www.autel.us/Products/ds708.htm

I'm getting close to either getting the Durametric or this Autel MaxiDAS DS708.

I like the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 for a number of reasons, including support for more than one "brand" of vehicle, all in one design, etc...

I spoke to Autel and they told me that this does everything EXCEPT "it can not flash/program modules..."

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1

In Canuckian $$, this product is retailing for $2k while Durametric Enthusiast sells for about $300.

The Autel would have to be a good order of magnitude better than the Dura, which would surprise me.

Although I always keep an open mind.

• Moderators

Hello,

Anyone have first hand experience with this Scanner?  The Autel MaxiDAS DS708  http://www.autel.us/Products/ds708.htm

I like the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 for a number of reasons, including support for more than one "brand" of vehicle, all in one design, etc...

I spoke to Autel and they told me that this does everything EXCEPT "it can not flash/program modules..."

I would get that in writing as part of a "money back guarantee" before you consider buying it. 

Tools, like the Autologic system, which does and excellent job on Porsches and many other cars, opens at around $12K set up for Porsche, +yearly updates, + other make modules.

And please do not post multiple copies of the same post in different areas of RennTech (I already removed your duplicate posting), it violates the terms you agreed to when you joined.

• Moderators

In Canuckian $$, this product is retailing for $2k while Durametric Enthusiast sells for about $300.

The Autel would have to be a good order of magnitude better than the Dura, which would surprise me.

Although I always keep an open mind.

You guys north of the border are getting hammered on price, it sells for $970 here on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Autel-Automotive-Diagnostic-Analysis-System/dp/B008XN7NUG

I own the MS908P which is the newest and it indeed does more than Durametric especially on the Cayenne. If you shop around a 708 can be had for $500CND. I also own Durametric Pro which is the best value for the money but is weak on Cayenne points and was getting sick of the bogus fault code readings or it not being able to recognise modules. If you own any other Porsche model I highly recommend Durametric.

I'll be glad to try and answer any questions you have about Autel as I've used the 708 also.

Hello,

I would get that in writing as part of a "money back guarantee" before you consider buying it. 

Tools, like the Autologic system, which does and excellent job on Porsches and many other cars, opens at around $12K set up for Porsche, +yearly updates, + other make modules.

And please do not post multiple copies of the same post in different areas of RennTech (I already removed your duplicate posting), it violates the terms you agreed to when you joined.

Hi JFP in PA

The reason I posted in both forums Cayenne and 996 is I'm fortunate to own both of them and I wanted to hear from both clans on their experience on either vehicle.

Is it possible to repost back to Cayenne Forum as well?

As for guarantee, this is what Autel sent me back on my inquiry on the MAXDAS DA708....  (BTW you can pick them up used for ~$600 and new for ~$800)

Q..."What is your compatibility/support for 1999 and up Porsche vehicles with your maxidas DS708?"

Autel - A:  "The DS708 should have no issue communicating with any Porsche from 1999 and up...."

Q... "...Does your system allow for resetting adaptation such as tiptronic transmissions as well as throttle body. Also window setting, service reminders and other built in convenience setting for Porsche  vehicle. I was looking at the durameteric scanner for Porsche, but if your reader does the same scanning capabilities then I would prefer to go with yours since your scanner is compatible with more than one vehicle..."

Autel - A:  "... It will have no problem with adaptions. Just keep in mind that it can not flash/program modules. Other than that the DS708 will serve you well...."

Edited by srfrdrew

I own the MS908P which is the newest and it indeed does more than Durametric especially on the Cayenne. If you shop around a 708 can be had for $500CND. I also own Durametric Pro which is the best value for the money but is weak on Cayenne points and was getting sick of the bogus fault code readings or it not being able to recognise modules. If you own any other Porsche model I highly recommend Durametric.

I'll be glad to try and answer any questions you have about Autel as I've used the 708 also.

Hi VWicary

Thanks for the info... As you see i have both a 04 Cayenne and 01 996

• Moderators

That probably has to do with the "cross pollination" between the Cayenne and the VW's.  We constantly hear about people using VAG COM or Ross Tech diagnostics successfully on the Cayenne, while that same tools can do little on the other Porsche models, and the Durametric is just the opposite.

• Moderators

Hello,

The reason I posted in both forums Cayenne and 996 is I'm fortunate to own both of them and I wanted to hear from both clans on their experience on either vehicle.

We have a forum section titled "Diagnostics, Tips and Diagnostic Tools" which is specifically for the discussion of diagnostic tools or systems for use on or across any Porsche models; in the future I would suggest posting similar topics there.

Hello,

We have a forum section titled "Diagnostics, Tips and Diagnostic Tools" which is specifically for the discussion of diagnostic tools or systems for use on or across any Porsche models; in the future I would suggest posting similar topics there.

Hi JFP

I went ahead and posted in that forum, hope you don't mind :)

• 2 weeks later...

OP: just got the regular offer email from Harbor Freight and saw that the DS708 is down to $1100 and I assume that you could use a 20% off coupon to reduce the price still further.

Just keep in mind that the DS708 that comes from Harbor Freight has no support or updates.

Yes, that was my understanding too, 1 year of updates and support included for the DS708 for the 1st year

.. Looks like the renewal costs will run between ~$600 - $800 /year  Ouch!

http://www.aeswave.com/DS708-Total-Care-Program-Subscription-for-1-yr-p9201.html

Here is some interesting Porsche related info for those who are considering this scanner as well...  Mind you this scanner also covers about 50 other Foreign and Domestic Makes which makes it even more appealing (IMHO)

http://104.171.4.62:8800/Download/Veh/MaxiDas/Porsche/en_MaxiDas_Porsche%20FUNCLIST.pdf

I don't believe that is true cause I read on HF website user ratings and they said you must do the update to get the latest version that will support more vehicles and bug fixes IE WiFi updates etc...

Unless they changed there policy I know they did not support anything that was purchased from HF. I know someone that ordered an DS708 from HF and then called the MFG to ask if they would support it. He was given a cold NO from Autel we do not support and we will not update. From what I have heard from my scan tool suppler that Autel was bringing the new tool line to market and was phasing out the DS708. They sold there surplus to HF with the intent not to support it. However if you buy from there dealers like aeswave you will get full support and updates.  

Edited by binger

Just got the MaxiDAS DS708 from HF, you do get 1 year of updates and 1 year of support, its a pretty slick tool for the price.. The yearly renewal for maintenance and support is a bit of a concern though, but the tool is quite trick!

• 1 year later...

Late replay but...

I will not advise any friend of mine to buy something from Autel. Reason is that I had bad experience with their product in terms of update, assistance, etc.

Anyway, this is my opinion and I don't know if I'm the only one