Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Loud strange metallic rhythmic noise after start

Just after start I hear a kind of metallic, scratching noise seems to coming from all over that disappears after 1-2 minutes drive... I only have it with cold engine start, not with warm engine start. Could it be the waterpump ? Engine temperature remains normal, no leakage of coolant on the floor ...

I added 2 videos : see dropbox link !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xcab8vmfdyh93z/start%20outside.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehpv67uu1qvyuwk/after%20start%20inside.MOV?dl=0

Thanks in advance,

Willem

I noticed now some oil leakage on the ground  below the steering wheel colon indeed ... It could well be the power steering pump... I could only arrange an appointment with the Porsche dealer next Thursday (sucks!). It is safe to drive the car for commuting for a couple of extra days or do I risk major problems ??

• Moderators

I noticed now some oil leakage on the ground  below the steering wheel colon indeed ... It could well be the power steering pump... I could only arrange an appointment with the Porsche dealer next Thursday (sucks!). It is safe to drive the car for commuting for a couple of extra days or do I risk major problems ??

If the car is losing power steering fluid, and if you do not monitor and keep the reservoir (in the engine bay) refilled, you could burn up the steering pump by driving it.  Park it until it can be looked at.

• Moderators

Sorry, i'm not a mechanic... I suppose you find this dip stick in the engine bay?

You need to remove the engine cover in the inside rear of the car: http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/cayman-cosmetic-mods/p182-engine-cover-removal.html

The dipstick will be towards the driver's compartment end of the opening

Engine-RedWarriorTweak-A-1lo.jpg

Checked the fluid on your power steering pump?

You can also remove the drive belt and hand spin each pulley to look for abnormal noise. Then run the engine briefly to see if the noise is still there.

Ahsai, you seem to have it right ! There's a leakage where the oil-hoses connects to the power steering/steering wheel colon (?).

The oil was almost completely gone in the reservoir! I filled it up again and wait for the scheduled repair on Thursday.

The noise has disappeared since filing up the reservoir again !

Thank you Ahsia, thank you very much!