Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Drive cross country?

So I'm moving from NJ to San Francisco in March (mid)/  Have a 2003 996 with 37000+ miles/  Don't have deadline to be there, so I'm thinking of driving.  Am I crazy to think about this in this car?  

Considerations:  I'm 51 and have never done this drive, however my lower back isn't what it used to be.  I don't have SiriusXM.  Car carrier + airfare would be cheaper.  If I do it, should I avoid the upper crossing over the rockies to avoid weather and go through AZ (and which highways)?  I have all seasons on 17's now.  Other thoughts?

I just put 5,000 miles on a road trip around the Western U.S. with my "03" C4S, albeit it has a LS3 V8.  However the car is a joy to drive x-country, I'm 6-2 and a lot older than you.  I can stretch out my legs by putting my feet under the pedals while on cruise control.  

I would plan your trip by checking out places you would like to see.  Museums, historical sites, etc.  But if you have no interest in any of these things then I would just jump on the crowd killer and call it good.  You didn't say how you would get your car to California if you didn't drive it?  With wx on your smart-phone you can plan your route.  If you go across I-80 in the winter it can be nasty.  I live in Texas so if I go West it's always on I-10 which can be pretty boring unless you're into cactus and rabbits, however most of it has a posted 75-80MPH speed limit.  I always plan my trips around seeing friends and family.  Plus I get free lodging...

Chance of a lifetime-your 2/3 my age and i would do it in a heartbeat-roads I know-drop down to I-68 to cross md and avoid pa turnpike-back up to I-70 in west va-then to st louis-your on your own now-drop down to I-40 to take southern route-i did 2 2000+ mi trips in my 2002 c4 cab last year-good luck-email if you are going to be in indianapolis and we will feed you

In 2012, we started off north of Toronto went south and hooked up with route 66 all the way south and west through Amarillo, TX, Flagstaff, took in the Grand canyon, the Painted Forest, etc. all the way to San Diego. Then north on #1 up the gorgeous coast to Monterey. Our plan was to go home the northern route via the Napa Valley and Reno but got chased south by a late spring snow storm in the higher elevations (summer tires). Doubled back via China Lake, Ridgecrest, Las Vegas, passed through Norman the day after their devastating tornado-got up really early drove 900 miles in one day to escape the storm clouds-I think that I was driving 95-100 mph most of the way-exhilarating (cops too busy dealing with weather issues). Took in the Porsche Hershey Swap-Meet on the way back. Six weeks in the Porsche with my wife. Most would not understand.

Do it!

Johan

Edited by Uwon

I don't drive my car a lot around town, but I love the road trips in the car.  The trip takes on a new excitement when you drive your car.  And the memories are better...  Here's a pix up on I-80 in Wyoming last September.

post-85466-0-28700600-1422312334_thumb.j

I did this trip in Fall of 2013 in a 1999 996.  Check out my route and sights visited more in depth here:  http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/319426-porsche-7000-mile-cross-country-trip-done.html The car had 81k miles on it.  I just passed 120k last week.  Dang, I am driving this machine!  If you are interested, me and a few other Porsche owners are doing the trip again this Spring.  If you wanted to road trip down to Atlanta, you can go 3-4 deep with us all in our 911's.

ga2ca2013_route.jpg

Swaff

Edited by swaff

Thanks for the invites swaff and jonesmd!  Thanks All- for info.  I'm really starting to think, Why not?  Could be a good reset for my mind before the next stage of my life.

So I-40 through cities (St Louis, OK city, etc.)-  do I need to avoid traffic/ certain times, certain roads?  When I get further west- what's your recommendations for grand canyon and hoover dam touring?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the invites swaff and jonesmd!  Thanks All- for info.  I'm really starting to think, Why not?  Could be a good reset for my mind before the next stage of my life.

So I-40 through cities (St Louis, OK city, etc.)-  do I need to avoid traffic/ certain times, certain roads?  When I get further west- what's your recommendations for grand canyon and hoover dam touring?

Any other suggestions?

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Flagstaff, great accomodation. Started off in the morning and drove to the eastern end of the south face Grand Canyon park and then took our time driving and stopping periodically as we made our way west along the ridge. The public road ends and then we took a bus for the last bit to a place appropriately called Hermit's Rest. We then returned to the car and drove a bit west and south back to Flagstaff for another night. Suggest you take a pick nick lunch-lots of sightseers eyeing ours.

Don't miss the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert relatively nearby-quite spectacular.

As I recall our GPS was off-roading through much of St. Louis and OK city. Lots of construction back in 2012.

Hoover Dam was a bit disappointing after all that we had already seen but should be seen nevertheless. Take it in while driving to or leaving Las Vegas. We are not gamblers but enjoyed walking the whole strip up and down in relatively cool weather (not the norm I understand). 

BTW, I got lots of suggestions prior to our trip from fellow Porsche nuts.

Here is one thread that may be of help:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/664000-touring-california-need-suggestions-3.html

Cheers,

Johan

P.S. My avatar is form somewhere near the Big Sur.

Edited by Uwon

• 2 weeks later...

Drive and enjoy the car in its true element by avoiding much of the blue highways. My father in law and I did a fly and drive a few years ago. Met in Alabama to pick up his new to him 1991 bmw convertible. And drove it back to st louis. Only rule was using byroads. Best memory with him. Either have a good friend come along or visit others. We would be happy to host you in Denver.