Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hey, just a fellow Porsche owner looking into "possibly" upgrading to a Panamera in the new future...

I was told (by a knowledgeable source) to stay away from the Panamera due to an engine defect in manufacturing that causes the engine to self destruct.

I don't want to cause mass hysteria here, but something about certain internal engine bolts coming loose and causing complete failure?

I knew there were a significant amount of initial software issues when the Panamera came onto the scene, but if this engine issue is true, I don't need another Porsche to worry about the engine blowing up, I already have that dedicated to my 996 and it's IMS "potential" issue along with a host of other "potential" engine issues.

• Upvote 1

• Admin

News to me... the only big confusing issue that I know of is the bad engine ground (splice) that caused all sorts of erroneous faults.

But there was a TSB with instructions of how to fix that.

Any combination of faults for the sensors listed may indicate this ground splice is broken or faulty.
  • Mass air flow implausible (P0068)
  • Intake Manifold pressure sensor (P0069, P0106, P0107, P0108, P1183, P1184)
  • Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor faults (P0116_P0119, P050C, P3081, P3082)
  • Radiator exit Coolant Temperature Sensor faults (P2183_P2186)
  • System too Lean or too Rich (Bank 1 & Bank 2) (P0171_P0175)
  • Oil pressure sensor faults (P0521_P0524)
  • Oil Level sensor faults (P250C, P250D)
  • Oil Temperature sensor faults (P0195, P0197, P0198, P0298)
  • Boost pressure sensor (P1189, P1190, P1637, P1638, P1639)
  • Camshaft position sensor 1 & 2 (P0341_P0349)
  • Crankshaft position sensor (P0335, P0336, P0370_P0373)
  • Engine Compartment temperature sensor (P1154_P1158)
  • Upvote 3

Never heard or read anything like you describe. I bought a new 2010 Pana S and traded it for a new 2012 Pana Turbo. I have driven 50,000 combined miles and only one minor issue,  a coolant return line connector got loose in the Turbo at 24,000 miles. Go for it, they are fantastic cars.

The issue you mention sounds like the early 2014 991 GT3s . The bolts holding the connecting rods to the crankshaft failed in two cars in Europe and they burned up. Production was halted in Feb. 2014. 130 cars in the US were recalled and the engines replaced. Most of these 130 US owners did not see their cars for 8+ months. My GT 3 was on the line and stopped in Feb. I did not receive it until 10/8. It was worth waiting for.

Thanks for all chiming in...

The information I got was from a reliable source close to Porsche...

I do hope that this dirty little secret is not the case as I do want to transition from my 2004 Cayenne eventually over to a Panamera.  I still may wait another year or so to make the switch.  Again, thanks all for the input.

But see my next response below

Edited by srfrdrew

I did a little searching and found this reoccurring low oil consumption issue.. If your Panamera has excessive oil consumption, I would get it checked...

Just saying! 

I'm told that the issue is not getting out yet since Porsche is stepping up and replacing engines as needed...  Also told most third party warranties have banned Panamera's from their warranty offerings list.

http://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/842234-oil-consumption-panamera-4s.html

(QUOTE for the site) UPDATE:

Last Friday, the car started running poorly and I got both a Check Engine light and PSM Failure light. I took the car into the dealership yesterday. They just called and said that the engine will need to be replaced, courtesy of PCNA. I will update when I know more details, but they mentioned the oil loss (consumption) that I was seeing was related to some severe scoring along the cylinder walls due to some unknown cause. Car has 22,700 miles on it. I am not thrilled about this, but better under warranty that not.

Edited by srfrdrew

• 4 months later...
  • Admin

Quick question since I have gotten the Oil pressure monitor fault..

How do I fix this? Usually happens when I'm in sport plus mode or driving with a heavy foot.

Will only come on for a minute and then go off after driving is slow and out of sport plus mode.

As I said above there is a TSB that will likely fix this issues (as well as others).

TSB fixes are performed by your dealer - in many cases at no charge.

• Moderators

What does TSB stand for? What should I say to the dealer? Thanks for the response

"Technical Service Bulletin".  These are notifications from Porsche to the dealers that there has been a change or update on the vehicle.  Any dealer should be able to run your VIN and check for any outstanding TSB's.

• Admin

TSB 1008 9 9752 

Engine Ground Splice

Attention: Service Managers/Service Technicians
Vehicle Type: Panamera S/4S/Turbo
Model Year: MY 2010-2011
Concern: Check Engine light illuminated with various fault codes stored in the DME.

Dated 7-21-2010 -- 2 pages in length.

I listed the faults above in post #2.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone has luck resolving the same issue Dan had posted about? My car is a 2012 Panamera Turbo that displays "Oil Pressure Monitor Fault" when the engine is at operating temperature and pushed hard (extended higher RPM) or driven in Sport Plus. It seems to me the oil pressure is reading too high, but only when the oil is at operating temp. When the oil is cold and thick, the oil pressures don't get past 4bar, even when holding higher RPM. Any help is appreciated. Hoping this isn't an oil pump/oil pressure relief valve issue. I have already replaced the oil pressure switch, all 8 coils, and is running fresh LiquiMoly 0W40 oil.

Edited by cosmosblk

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2015 at 9:20 AM, Loren said:

News to me... the only big confusing issue that I know of is the bad engine ground (splice) that caused all sorts of erroneous faults.

But there was a TSB with instructions of how to fix that.

Any combination of faults for the sensors listed may indicate this ground splice is broken or faulty.
  • Mass air flow implausible (P0068)
  • Intake Manifold pressure sensor (P0069, P0106, P0107, P0108, P1183, P1184)
  • Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor faults (P0116_P0119, P050C, P3081, P3082)
  • Radiator exit Coolant Temperature Sensor faults (P2183_P2186)
  • System too Lean or too Rich (Bank 1 & Bank 2) (P0171_P0175)
  • Oil pressure sensor faults (P0521_P0524)
  • Oil Level sensor faults (P250C, P250D)
  • Oil Temperature sensor faults (P0195, P0197, P0198, P0298)
  • Boost pressure sensor (P1189, P1190, P1637, P1638, P1639)
  • Camshaft position sensor 1 & 2 (P0341_P0349)
  • Crankshaft position sensor (P0335, P0336, P0370_P0373)
  • Engine Compartment temperature sensor (P1154_P1158)

Hi, where is that TSB you've mentioned? I need it to fix the "Oil pressure monitor fault" error that pops up.

how can i fix or ask my dealer to fix the bad engine ground splice?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Ahmad J said:

Hi, where is that TSB you've mentioned? I need it to fix the "Oil pressure monitor fault" error that pops up.

how can i fix or ask my dealer to fix the bad engine ground splice?

The TSB cannot be published here as it is the intellectual property of Porsche and protected by copyright.  If you take the information in Loren's post above and give it to your service writer, he should be able to take it from there.