Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Had my 2004 996 C2 towed to the shop after I heard a noise from the engine and it quickly stopped running. The diagnosis from my mechanic is a blown engine. There is lots of metal in the oil but apparently it is not the dreaded IMS failure (had IMS upgrade by LN Engineering installed 2 years ago). They haven't taken the engine apart so I am not sure exactly what failed.

The car has only about 65,000 km on it and it was well maintained.

Both street and occasional track driving.
Anyone know for a good used engine? (in Canada preferably)
Any guesses as to the value for the car as is? It is in great condition other than the (worthless) engine.

I'm sorry to hear it.  A couple thoughts.... before you scrap the engine it would be worth knowing what happened.  What kind of metal is in the oil?  Small bits of ferrous metal?  Given that it's not the IMS bearing, I'm wondering where it came from.  Without knowing anything more, I would agree though that when there's metal in the oil the engine is usually toast because it's hard if not impossible to flush it all out.  I'm not familiar with the market in Canada but in the USA there are numerous companies that buy wrecks or cars such as yours and part them out.  I have found their prices vary widely and it's all about what you can negotiate.  You would want to do your own due diligence but my guess is the car wont be worth too much without an engine...I would think a few thousand bucks if it's in good shape and not much more....