Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Below 20F hazardous to liners?

Several topics here and on Rennlist have been discussing operation in cold weather and the possible relationship to scored liners. While spring is here winter, unfortunately, is coming sooner than I would like. Living in NE. always offer below 20F weather in winter. Should I continue to park it in winter or buy winter wheels and tires and drive it? The reason I throw around 20F is a noted engine expert has questioned below 20F usage in regards to liner scoring. Fairly new to Porsche and very confused about this issue.

2005 996 C4S

• 5 weeks later...

Okie: I tend to agree, however, I have read more since this post that claims tight tolerances between pistons and cylinder walls and the difference of metal expansion rates during the heating cycle from cold temps.. Scored cylinders are an acknowledged problem in 996's. I'm no engine expert, especially on these! I do understand thermal gains in differing metals and those must be tight clearances! Only experience I've had with pistons and liners being very differing metals were in engines that we ran in warm weather.

wildbilly32, tight clearances, huh? That would seem to be the province of the piston rings. It seems that the issue would be in the engineering of the engine. Oh, wait... IMS bearings. An acknowledged problem? Since I obviously live in an area of warm (read: hot) weather, it doesn't look like I have to worry about the issue.

my cylinders are scored to hell and the car was driven in the winter on Ocassion (we can get to -40 celcius). I don't think that was my issue though. once I split the cases I saw the timing chain paddle plastic had broken off in peices, clogged my oil pick up and caused oil starvation. actually...maybe being started in the cold caused the plastic to break.....hmmmmm

I bought the LNE thermostat to put in once I Re assemble. it's supposed to prevent this from what I've read.

Edited by AWDGuy