Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Potential 05 purchase with a few issues, easy fixes?

So, looking at an 05 base with a few issues that appear fairly common, just want to see if I'm missing anything?  Any comments appreciated!

Instrument cluster appears to be almost out and will need repair/replace (costly? 500+?)

Basic air/conditioning (rear air flow is weak at best, appears no real fix?)  Can basic A/C be converted to show temp/auto etc...? Currently just has two switches (low/high fan and low/high for temp)

Side mirror does not adjust with auto controls (it does fold in) - would I most likely just need a new mirror motor?

Cornering light warning/malfunction - how big/costly can this get assuming its not just a bulb replacement?

Couple of the rear side lights come on when doors open but not when switched to "on", are there different bulbs i need to check out or possibly switches that get more expensive

Last, the remote has a rear hatch button (that is just to unlock it right? the later models open automatically correct?

The instrument cluster is costly.  I think new run around $2500.  I have the same problem with mine.  When it is cold out it works fine but once it warms up outside it fades.  I found a place in Wisconsin who say they can repair them for around $400 but have not spoken to them yet.

So, looking at an 05 base with a few issues that appear fairly common, just want to see if I'm missing anything?  Any comments appreciated!

Instrument cluster appears to be almost out and will need repair/replace (costly? 500+?)

Basic air/conditioning (rear air flow is weak at best, appears no real fix?)  Can basic A/C be converted to show temp/auto etc...? Currently just has two switches (low/high fan and low/high for temp)

Side mirror does not adjust with auto controls (it does fold in) - would I most likely just need a new mirror motor?

Cornering light warning/malfunction - how big/costly can this get assuming its not just a bulb replacement?

Couple of the rear side lights come on when doors open but not when switched to "on", are there different bulbs i need to check out or possibly switches that get more expensive

Last, the remote has a rear hatch button (that is just to unlock it right? the later models open automatically correct?

my opinions:

instrument cluster:  as said above, mine goes out the warmer it gets...I just live with it.  But yeah I have seen several repair services in the 300-500 range.  can also find used clusters on ebay.

A/C:  not sure what you are asking?  you can set it to auto to go to whatever temperature you select...

cornering light:  it is usually the bulb or the metal contacts.  one 6mm bolt takes the headlights out (I am not very mechanical and can do it)....you slide it in and out, when replacing it you have to tighten the bolt while pushing the housing back on...as it slides in, the metal contacts on the back of headlight housing mate with the mounted contacts on the frame.  they are very sensitive and have to be slid back in perfectly, or any number of malfunctions or lights out error messages can happen.  Some people even remove the contacts so that they can fasten the two pairs together to ensure good contact.  not sure if this makes sense but I think pelican parts has a good tutorial.  I did it the other day by myself and I am a mechanic idiot.  but the cornering lights do go out, and they are also a common one lost when the contacts are not mated perfectly.  I had a shop do it the first time I lost a blinker...by the time they were done none of the lights were working...in researching this on the internet I read about it being common because headlights are not put back in correctly.  http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-Cayenne/07-BODY-Changing_Light_Bulbs/07-BODY-Changing_Light_Bulbs.htm

rear side lights:  not sure what you are asking

remote:  touch the hatch button and it unlocks....hold the hatch button down and it pops open just the glass portion.

Thanks to both replys.

Regarding the A/C: this one has the basic A/C controls, don't remember seeing auto or showing the in cabin temp, maybe it was there or screen was bad....Being a mono-zone, it would be difficult to convert to a dual zone but was wondering if I could replace the A/C control switches to have more control options (I'm thinking the answer is no)

Rear side lights: the reading lights above the door (has like 2 or 3 modes: i.e. when car door open or select to "on" when in car or maybe one more.  One side, the light works in all positions, the other side, the light only comes on the "door open" mode but does not when in the set "on" mode, hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks to both replys.

Regarding the A/C: this one has the basic A/C controls, don't remember seeing auto or showing the in cabin temp, maybe it was there or screen was bad....Being a mono-zone, it would be difficult to convert to a dual zone but was wondering if I could replace the A/C control switches to have more control options (I'm thinking the answer is no)

Rear side lights: the reading lights above the door (has like 2 or 3 modes: i.e. when car door open or select to "on" when in car or maybe one more.  One side, the light works in all positions, the other side, the light only comes on the "door open" mode but does not when in the set "on" mode, hopefully that makes sense.

ahh ok I didn't know the A/C temp/dual zone/auto was an option, figured that was standard.

can't help with the lights but I'd trying playing with the buttons  ;-)

March 2014• New semi metallic pads, sensors, 4 Bosch rotors, 20 wheel lugs 87k miles

$800

• New aluminum coolant pipes, left engine valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket, 3 vent hoses, Bosch starter. 91k miles

$2300

• New shifter sun shade 91k

$55

• New 2 air intake filters 92k

$60

• New 8 NGK V-power spark plugs 92k $35

February 2015• New tires, rear hatch struts, oil pan screw 97k $860

• New suspension air compressor 98k $500