Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I need YOUR help!  This could be our worst nightmare as Cayenne owners...I am hoping im wrong.  I should mention I am very mechanical (Master level weekend wrench turner, not professional).  

The bullet points of the scenario:

2008 Cayenne GTS, 98K,Manual Transmission, well maintained, in excellent shape and runs (or ran) flawlessly.

1. Thought battery was going dead due to engine not turning over quickly.  

2. Replaced battery, Engine did not make any change... in fact, was getting worse. Would barely turn even a little bit.

3. Hooked up battery to charger to be 100%, no change.  The battery would nearly drain completely after a few turns of the key.

4. Replaced starter with new Bosch.  Replaced plugs for maintenance. 

5. Absolutely no change.  The car clicks, tries to turnover, it wont budge.  Battery drains very quickly after a few tries.

No major codes on Durametric. Although maybe I am looking in the wrong place.  

I can only surmise the worst case scenario.  Please, any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

The one time I experienced this (Honda, not Porsche) it was a seized cam in a plain bearing. I am not familiar with your engine... can it be safely spun with the serpentine belt removed? I would expect a seized water pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc. could manifest itself this way. 

From your description it is hard to determine whether the engine is seized (i.e. locked, frozen) or if you are experiencing high friction but the crank still can turn.

I've experienced this unfortunately a few times with 928s - broken welded camshaft, bad crank sensor, dual-mass flywheel came apart, bad neutral safety switch and last time was a broken timing belt tensioner but the engine just freewheeled then as it bent every valve in creation. I'm not sure a seized water pump would act this way as usually the plastic impeller just breaks off the steel or alloy shaft but the motor may still turn over. is your clutch in good health?

Edited by GSpence2

Quick update... I pulled the accessory belt off and checked all the accessories attached to the belt.  They all freely moved.  The water is actually new, so I can rule that out.  The flywheel teeth looked in good shape when I pulled the starter.  Next stop is Durametric.  Downside is I cant start the car...so who knows what magical codes I will find all the failed attempts.  

I brought (via tow truck) the P!G to my favorite P-Car Indy to have a look on Saturday.  The tech quickly scanned it and thinks its a ground or something electrical.  Its in surgery right now, fingers crossed its not the worst case possibility.  As soon as it's out of the OR, I provide an update and the diagnosis.