Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have an 08C2S with 44,500 miles. Absolutely bone stock and the car has never had any serious issues whatsoever. I change my oil every 5000 miles and my first two lab tests came back with no problems found at all. I recently sent Blackstone my third oil change sample and basically what they said was that all looks normal with the exception that the sodium level appeared high. I run Mobil 1 0W/40. They said some other oils use sodium as an additive but not Mobil 1. My sodium reading the first two tests was 5 and 7 respectively. This time it was 69. They said if it is not additive it might be coolant. They said to do another oil change in 3000 miles and send in another sample. I'd appreciate some thoughts from everyone if they've ever heard of this before. Thanks in advance. Tony

• Moderators

I have an 08C2S with 44,500 miles. Absolutely bone stock and the car has never had any serious issues whatsoever. I change my oil every 5000 miles and my first two lab tests came back with no problems found at all. I recently sent Blackstone my third oil change sample and basically what they said was that all looks normal with the exception that the sodium level appeared high. I run Mobil 1 0W/40. They said some other oils use sodium as an additive but not Mobil 1. My sodium reading the first two tests was 5 and 7 respectively. This time it was 69. They said if it is not additive it might be coolant. They said to do another oil change in 3000 miles and send in another sample. I'd appreciate some thoughts from everyone if they've ever heard of this before. Thanks in advance. Tony

Almost all oil manufacturers are altering their formulations, and Mobil is no exception.  Many do now use additives that contain sodium.  I would suggest two thoughts:  Change your oil now, and retain a sample of the virgin oil to send with your next used sample for comparison testing.  That should answer the question about additives.  Secondly, I would obtain a bottle of coolant UV dye from Uview (they make the vacuum coolant filling system for Porsche) and add it to your coolant immediately.  At your next oil change, check the oil for the presence of UV dye; if it is there, the engine has an internal coolant leak that is getting into the oil.

Thanks JFP - sound advice as always! A couple of questions.

1) since I just changed the oil 200 miles ago, can I simply drain and refill without a filter change?

2) I see 8 oz bottles and 6 - 1 oz bottles. How much should I add?

3) suggestion for a UV light or do most Porsche shops usually have one?

Thanks!!

• Moderators

Thanks JFP - sound advice as always! A couple of questions.

1) since I just changed the oil 200 miles ago, can I simply drain and refill without a filter change?

2) I see 8 oz bottles and 6 - 1 oz bottles. How much should I add?

3) suggestion for a UV light or do most Porsche shops usually have one?

Thanks!!

I would also change the filter, if for not other reason than to get the extra 1/2 L of oil out.

You can use the 8 oz. bottle, just follow the directions on how much to add to the system (the bottle has a measuring system on it).

Most shops have a UV light that we use to check cooling system, AC systems, etc.  Uview also makes an inexpensive unit that is a modified flashlight.

I would run the oil for 2500-3000 miles in order to give everything a chance to spread out and work, then drain it and take a sample for analysis and checking against the UV light source. Remember to retain a virgin sample for testing as well.

Hate to bother you JFP but the Uview coolant dyes I found are for cars with green coolant and ours is pink. Do you by chance have a part # for the dye you've used? Thanks!

• Moderators

Hate to bother you JFP but the Uview coolant dyes I found are for cars with green coolant and ours is pink. Do you by chance have a part # for the dye you've used? Thanks!

Sure, I should have given it to you in the first place; Part #:B483806 (1 oz. bottle).  You can find more info here: http://testsite.uview.com/ProductDetail.php?PartNumber=B483806

Hope you sort this out soon, and the fix is easy.

One of the many reasons I really like doing regular and consistent UOA's. You can really learn and spot a lot of potential issues with your motor.

I'd also suggest you post your Blackstone report on "Bob Is The Oil Guy" site, and ask for feedback on the sodium level.

This will teach you not to eat pretzels while changing your oil.:)

Thanks for the part # JFP. I ordered the 6 - 1oz bottles on line since I couldn't find it locally. White987S: I will send my report to the website you suggested and ask for comments. And, I was eating potato chips not pretzels:-))

Thanks for all the help!!

Thanks for the part # JFP. I ordered the 6 - 1oz bottles on line since I couldn't find it locally. White987S: I will send my report to the website you suggested and ask for comments. And, I was eating potato chips not pretzels:-))

Thanks for all the help!!

When I recently reviewed Mobil 0W40 UOA's the sodium levels have not changed. They were inline with your prior 2 readings (5 and 7). Your new reading of 69 is not normal, and not due to a Mobil reformulation.

Also ask Blackstone to re-test your sample, if they can, ASAP. They are very good about this kind of stuff. Maybe they made an error, of Jimmy was eating chips, too.:)

Good luck.

Thanks White987S - I asked Blackstone to do a re-test. I found in my owner's manual, coolant info which says it holds 8.45 US gallons - that's a lot! Can I safely assume that once I add the dye, and do another oil test in 3000 miles, the coolant system doesn't need to be flushed because of the dye I added?

Thanks many times over......

• Moderators

Thanks White987S - I asked Blackstone to do a re-test. I found in my owner's manual, coolant info which says it holds 8.45 US gallons - that's a lot! Can I safely assume that once I add the dye, and do another oil test in 3000 miles, the coolant system doesn't need to be flushed because of the dye I added?

Thanks many times over......

The dye can remain in the engine indefinitely, it is harmless.

• Moderators

They have a point about sodium not being a normally found additive in Mobil 1, but knowing how many oil blenders are playing with their formulations, that may have changed, which is why it is important to periodically include a virgin sample for a bench mark.  Oil formulations are not cast in stone.

Thanks JFP. I pulled a virgin oil sample to retain for the next test along with ordering the Uview dye on line. I also asked Blackstone to re-run their analysis on my current sample they recently tested - of course, they're doing that at no charge. Will advise those findings soon...

Blackstone just got back to me on a re-test. The first time the sodium count was 69 and the second time was 67. I'll be adding the Uview dye to my coolant and examine that with a UV light on my next oil change. I will also send them a virgin sample plus the 3000 mile sample for side by side analysis. Thanks for all of the advice!!

Edited by 0356kid

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, this issue is driving me crazy and sometimes, I wish I'd just stayed with oil changes like my other cars and not asked for an analysis. But since I did, this is where I am at. 

I just sent them as close to a virgin sample as I could on my latest oil change (400 miles). Blackstone said all looked good but sodium came back at 69 on only 400 miles (same reading as my 5000 mile analysis).  I called Mobil Oil and the technical guru wouldn't exactly divulge whether or not Mobil 0/40 has sodium in it or not - trade secrets?  Internet search pretty much reveals that it does not.

At JFP's suggestion I added the Uview dye to my coolant. I was wondering if I have to wait for the several thousand mile oil change to put a sample under a UV light, or could I pull another 3 oz. sample and look now?  Blackstone said that since my potassium is extremely low, that it probably is not coolant but they can't be certain (probably for liability reasons). Also, my oil level and coolant level are right on the mark and not changing, at least that I can see.

Suggestions - just drive the hell out of it and not worry????

• Moderators

Well folks, this issue is driving me crazy and sometimes, I wish I'd just stayed with oil changes like my other cars and not asked for an analysis. But since I did, this is where I am at. 

I just sent them as close to a virgin sample as I could on my latest oil change (400 miles). Blackstone said all looked good but sodium came back at 69 on only 400 miles (same reading as my 5000 mile analysis).  I called Mobil Oil and the technical guru wouldn't exactly divulge whether or not Mobil 0/40 has sodium in it or not - trade secrets?  Internet search pretty much reveals that it does not.

At JFP's suggestion I added the Uview dye to my coolant. I was wondering if I have to wait for the several thousand mile oil change to put a sample under a UV light, or could I pull another 3 oz. sample and look now?  Blackstone said that since my potassium is extremely low, that it probably is not coolant but they can't be certain (probably for liability reasons). Also, my oil level and coolant level are right on the mark and not changing, at least that I can see.

Suggestions - just drive the hell out of it and not worry????

Pull a sample of your oil and check it with a UV light in a darkened room.  If there is no sign of the dye in the oil, drive it like you stole it.

• Moderators

Thanks JFP. As I have never done this dye routine with a car before, when I put a UV light over the oil sample, what exactly am i looking for or will it be pretty evident?

You will know it instantly if the dye is in the oil.  Take some of the dye itself and hit it with the UV light, it should light up a brilliant, nearly glowing color, this is what you are looking for.

What did the folks say on the "Bob The Oil Guy" web site?

There is nearly zero sodium in Mobil. In my factory fill (Mobil 0W40) my April 2014 reading was 8 ppm. My May 2015 reading with Mobil 5W50 was 5 ppm. Your readings are not normal. Something is going on with intermix.

Edited by White987S

The guys at Bob the Oil Guy wanted to see my UOA but unfortunately you cannot upload it to the their site like you can here. I was told to enter it in text format and I just haven't gotten around to doing that. In the next couple of weeks I am going to pull another 3 ounce sample at see if that reveals anything with a UV light (sinceI added dye to the coolant). Blackstone said that since my potassium is almost nonexistent that they don't think it is coolant. We will see.....