Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Some questions about buying a 2005 Boxster please

Hello All,

I have been shopping for a roadster for a few months now and I've driven SLKs, Audi TT, Z4, and a 2005 Boxster. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer and transition me to become a proud owner.

1) Based on VIN check below, production date is listed as June 20, 2005. Does it mean it's a MY or early 2005 model? Any difference aside the unknown IMS config? I assume this is a 987-1?

2) I'm also new to manual and have had a chance to practice on a friend's new 2014 VW GTI 6spd. The Porsche clutch seems heavier. Is this normal? Also, starting the vehicle seems to require a hard push on the clutch (almost a kick) and wondering if that's normal.

3) I will need to order a 2nd key and program it (if I buy this Boxster). What is the best way to go about it (can I find one on eBay and take it to dealer to program or is there an easier/cheaper alternative?).

4) Reading these forums always scare me on maint cost. I am considering a 36 months 30K miles warranty for $5k. Worth it? It is said to cover everything with $100 deduct and can be used at Porsche dealers. It has 68K miles and 3rd owner according to Carfax.

Thank you and appreciate your time. Please look at the specs below and let me know your thoughts.

2005 Porsche Boxster
Division:
PCNA
Commission #:

Prod Month:
04/2005
VIN:
WP0CA29815U712659
Price:
$48,950.00
Exterior:
Guards Red
Interior:
Black Standard Leather
Warranty Start:
June 20, 2005
Additional Equipment
Heated Front Seats
Sport Steering Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Automatic Climate Control
AN
Black Standard Leather
G1
Guards Red
P73
Bose System w/Windstop
P74
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
V9
Black Top

• Moderators

Hello All,

I have been shopping for a roadster for a few months now and I've driven SLKs, Audi TT, Z4, and a 2005 Boxster. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer and transition me to become a proud owner.

1) Based on VIN check below, production date is listed as June 20, 2005. Does it mean it's a MY or early 2005 model? Any difference aside the unknown IMS config? I assume this is a 987-1?

2) I'm also new to manual and have had a chance to practice on a friend's new 2014 VW GTI 6spd. The Porsche clutch seems heavier. Is this normal? Also, starting the vehicle seems to require a hard push on the clutch (almost a kick) and wondering if that's normal.

3) I will need to order a 2nd key and program it (if I buy this Boxster). What is the best way to go about it (can I find one on eBay and take it to dealer to program or is there an easier/cheaper alternative?).

4) Reading these forums always scare me on maint cost. I am considering a 36 months 30K miles warranty for $5k. Worth it? It is said to cover everything with $100 deduct and can be used at Porsche dealers. It has 68K miles and 3rd owner according to Carfax.

Thank you and appreciate your time. Please look at the specs below and let me know your thoughts.

2005 Porsche Boxster
Division:
PCNA
Commission #:

Prod Month:
04/2005
VIN:
WP0CA29815U712659
Price:
$48,950.00
Exterior:
Guards Red
Interior:
Black Standard Leather
Warranty Start:
June 20, 2005
Additional Equipment
Heated Front Seats
Sport Steering Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Automatic Climate Control
AN
Black Standard Leather
G1
Guards Red
P73
Bose System w/Windstop
P74
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
V9
Black Top

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

On 2005 Boxsters, it is impossible to tell which IMS bearing is in the car without  taking it apart and looking; no other method has worked.

Your description of the clutch sounds like it may be an issue.  I would first try finding someone with another Boxster and seeing how their clutch compares to yours.  Heavy clutch pedals often signal a clutch near the end of its life in these cars.

Be careful on where you source keys as the dealer will need some code information that should come with the key; without it, the key is useless.  In any case, you will need access to a PIWIS unit (factory diagnostic computer) to code the car to accept the key.

Aftermarket warranties can be problematic, they often have a lot of "small print" that makes them nearly useless.  Be sure to read the entire warranty before spending a lot of money, many owners have found out about this the hard way.

Don't be turned off by everything you read about these cars, particularly on the internet which tends to collect all the problems.  I have personally owned a 986 for nearly 15 years and it had been problem free the entire time.  Good luck with your purchase!

Hi JFP,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have read on about unknown IMS on '05 and even '06 models, but does June 2005 indicate a mid-year build or early build by Porsche standard? It's been raining here a lot so I am hoping to test drive an '06 later in week.

The warranty company does assure me it covers all except wear items (brake pads, wipers, clutch, bulbs), but yes, I do need to review the fine prints. Worst case they offer 19 payments via credit card and if I don't like it, I guess I can stop paying via Amex and dispute if necessary. If there is a good extended warranty that members here can recommend, I appreciate it since I think even a clutch job is over $2K on Boxsters and I don't think that is covered by any extended warranty.

On 2005 Boxsters, it is impossible to tell which IMS bearing is in the car without  taking it apart and looking; no other method has worked.

Your description of the clutch sounds like it may be an issue.  I would first try finding someone with another Boxster and seeing how their clutch compares to yours.  Heavy clutch pedals often signal a clutch near the end of its life in these cars.

Be careful on where you source keys as the dealer will need some code information that should come with the key; without it, the key is useless.  In any case, you will need access to a PIWIS unit (factory diagnostic computer) to code the car to accept the key.

Aftermarket warranties can be problematic, they often have a lot of "small print" that makes them nearly useless.  Be sure to read the entire warranty before spending a lot of money, many owners have found out about this the hard way.

Don't be turned off by everything you read about these cars, particularly on the internet which tends to collect all the problems.  I have personally owned a 986 for nearly 15 years and it had been problem free the entire time.  Good luck with your purchase!

• Moderators

Hi JFP,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have read on about unknown IMS on '05 and even '06 models, but does June 2005 indicate a mid-year build or early build by Porsche standard? It's been raining here a lot so I am hoping to test drive an '06 later in week.

The warranty company does assure me it covers all except wear items (brake pads, wipers, clutch, bulbs), but yes, I do need to review the fine prints. Worst case they offer 19 payments via credit card and if I don't like it, I guess I can stop paying via Amex and dispute if necessary. If there is a good extended warranty that members here can recommend, I appreciate it since I think even a clutch job is over $2K on Boxsters and I don't think that is covered by any extended warranty.

June would be a later build date, but you should also recognize that build dates, like a lot of other parameters, are irrelevant when it comes to which style IIMS is in the engine.  The only way to know is to take it apart and look, and that is going to cost $.

$2K for a clutch is about average for just about any car out there, so it is not excessive.

Thanks JFP, I did read up on the very detailed article here http://www.oregonpca.org/resources/ims-bearing-the-full-story/ about IMS, and since I cannot do anything about identifying it physically until I need maint in that area. I was mostly wondering if there are other things I should know, good and bad, about MY2005 production vehicles. I was wondering also if these cars came with any AUX input or BT connection OEM option?

I'll get a PPI done and we agreed on a number for the car so let's hope it all goes well and I get to join in on the fun. I have owned several European and American cars including Audi, Benz, Volvo with various config; 4/5/6/8 cyl and turbos/supercharge/NA and FWD/RWD/AWD. Hoping to learn MR as well.

Hi, yeah, not around here. Adding another $5k would not get me a 2009 Boxster with IMS-less and it would still be a 6yrs old Boxster with potential of other things going out (like the convertible top motor). I am still holding off on buying a very comprehensive (exclusionary) warranty plan at $5k and considering maybe spend half that on a basic plan and keep the rest for things not covered. I remember my Volvo needed a new tranny and that was $4k, but other cars I've owned had relatively inexpensive repairs. Maybe I'm just a pessimist or as usual, reading forums about any car will make you think of all the things that can break down :(

In some markets the price you mentioned plus the five thousand you plan to pay for warranty would buy a fairly new Porsche--perhaps a certified used. Is this contrary to what you have seen in your area?

Like this certified 2014 in NorCal for $53,895:

52846U 2014 Porsche Boxster Base
COLOR: White / Black
DEALERSHIP: Porsche
COMMENTS: Don't pay too much for the Porsche you want...Take a look at this nicely loaded, Porsche Certified 2014 Boxster. Its unmistakable ... More
OPTIONS: RWD, Garage door transmitter: HomeLink, Power Windows, Power door locks, Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Cruise ... More

Thanks, but the price you saw on the VIN decoder was price of new, not after 10 yrs and 68k miles :) I'm thinking I may forgo warranty and do a clutch job sooner and while the mech works on it, do the IMS update kit IF my 2005 comes with older-style IMS. I watched a video on how to change oil so if I get this 987, I may change the oil just in case and put a magnetic plug like some suggested to see if it collect particles (but by the time i find out it may be too late).

If any member bought extended warranty and had IMS failure, did anyone deal with an extended warranty company? I'd love to know the experience. Thanks.

COMMENTS: Don't pay too much for the Porsche you want...Take a look at this nicely loaded, Porsche Certified 2014 Boxster. Its unmistakable ... More
OPTIONS: RWD, Garage door transmitter: HomeLink, Power Windows, Power door locks, Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Cruise ... More

• Moderators

Thanks, but the price you saw on the VIN decoder was price of new, not after 10 yrs and 68k miles :) I'm thinking I may forgo warranty and do a clutch job sooner and while the mech works on it, do the IMS update kit IF my 2005 comes with older-style IMS. I watched a video on how to change oil so if I get this 987, I may change the oil just in case and put a magnetic plug like some suggested to see if it collect particles (but by the time i find out it may be too late).

If any member bought extended warranty and had IMS failure, did anyone deal with an extended warranty company? I'd love to know the experience. Thanks.

I'm afraid that most of what you will find by searching about aftermarket warranty pay outs on these cars goes more in the negative direction, and often on things vastly more mundane than losing the engine to an IMS failure.

Thanks JFP, well, I'm going to do a closer visual inspection of vehicle today with buyer since it was pouring down the other day (good test that convert top had good seals though and no leaks). I'll check convert top operations and check for any rust and damage I didn't spot. Tomorrow I will have a professional pre-purchase inspection done and if all goes well, I may have it this weekend. If not, there are a few more Boxsters starting to show up for sale :)

I'm afraid that most of what you will find by searching about aftermarket warranty pay outs on these cars goes more in the negative direction, and often on things vastly more mundane than losing the engine to an IMS failure.

Well, guys, pre-purchase inspection was done and they didn't find much of any issues. I will need new tires, there are a few cosmetic scuffs mostly interior, but engine, tranny, and most of susp is is all fine. The inspector said there is a bit of grease on the driver left front CV joint (attached pic) but he said nothing urgent. Let me know your thoughts.

I picked her up (or rather delivered as I am still learning manual and it was a long drive through Friday city traffic). I guess I am the new owner of a 987. Looking forward to mostly learning here but eventually contribute as well. I saw a video on how to change the oil and it seems pretty straight forward so I plan to do that soon.

Now I need to go look for some tires and order a 2nd key :)

18346038813_51c149e75f_b.jpg

18940932926_8003fd598c_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to do the second key thing too.  My only key with the recent purchase (boxster s 2005) has a cracked key fob and works, but the buttons suck.  Let me know what you end up finding for the cheapest path on the keys.  I called Porsche dealers near here...400-500 bucks

• Moderators

I'm looking to do the second key thing too.  My only key with the recent purchase (boxster s 2005) has a cracked key fob and works, but the buttons suck.  Let me know what you end up finding for the cheapest path on the keys.  I called Porsche dealers near here...400-500 bucks

If all that is bad is the key head, it can be replaced without having to reprogram.  Purchase a replacement head, and switch over the key shaft and the little RFID button into the new key head, and your in business.  The second key, however, is going to involve programing and cutting.

If all that is bad is the key head, it can be replaced without having to reprogram.  Purchase a replacement head, and switch over the key shaft and the little RFID button into the new key head, and your in business.  The second key, however, is going to involve programing and cutting.

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice.  Are the ebay key heads ok, or do I need to buy Porsche?

• Moderators

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice.  Are the ebay key heads ok, or do I need to buy Porsche?

Fleabay can always be a crap shoot, we stay with the real thing unless the owner of the car has already purchased them elsewhere.