Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric resets oil service reminder to 4000 instead of 10,000

I have a 2012 Cayenne S and just completed my first oil change. I bought the Durametric cable and got it to work with a tablet from Amazon which I will share info on in another thread. My problem is there are two options to reset the oil reminder, both have the same title and seem to only reset it to 4k instead of 10k. Anyone else have this issue? The tool says it has reset the service reminder. I tried unplugging the fuse to the instrument cluster for 10 seconds as well. Still only shows 6 months and 4000.

• Moderators

I have a 2012 Cayenne S and just completed my first oil change. I bought the Durametric cable and got it to work with a tablet from Amazon which I will share info on in another thread. My problem is there are two options to reset the oil reminder, both have the same title and seem to only reset it to 4k instead of 10k. Anyone else have this issue? The tool says it has reset the service reminder. I tried unplugging the fuse to the instrument cluster for 10 seconds as well. Still only shows 6 months and 4000.

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

I've not seen what you are describing, but to my understanding the mileage reminder interval is coded into the DME and not controlled by the Durametric software.  I am also intrigued by the two options to reset the oil reminder.  Which version of the Durametric are you using, and where did you get it from? Which tablet do you have it installed on?

I bought the newest version 6 from Durametric directly. I am running it on an HP Stream 7, it loads perfect and auto recognized my VIN. I get no error messages and it says it reset on the computer. I will take a picture of the screen that shows the two options. Thanks for any assistance.

• Moderators

I bought the newest version 6 from Durametric directly. I am running it on an HP Stream 7, it loads perfect and auto recognized my VIN. I get no error messages and it says it reset on the computer. I will take a picture of the screen that shows the two options. Thanks for any assistance.

I'd also suggest dropping an email to the folks at Durametric about this.  They have had some issues with the Cayenne diagnostics in the past and are always interested in direct feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out one is supposed to be for diesel but it does not clarify which. Also they (Durametric) said that I cannot reset until the reminder is activated or within xx number of miles. So since it is saying my oil does not need changed for 4000 miles I cannot reset it. (Just so happened it was at 4000 left when I tried to reset it, it did not actually reset it) same for the intermediate service, even though it reminds me it is due in 800 miles or so, I need to wait until it is actually. So all that means my service reminders are off by several months and several thousand miles and do me no good. When I am able to reset it to 10000 miles and 12 months that will be in 4-5 months, and will not be correct when I reset it. The only way to get them back on track is to not reset it when it says it is due, then when actually due a half year later change it and reset at that time. Seems ridiculous.

• Moderators

Turns out one is supposed to be for diesel but it does not clarify which. Also they (Durametric) said that I cannot reset until the reminder is activated or within xx number of miles. So since it is saying my oil does not need changed for 4000 miles I cannot reset it. (Just so happened it was at 4000 left when I tried to reset it, it did not actually reset it) same for the intermediate service, even though it reminds me it is due in 800 miles or so, I need to wait until it is actually. So all that means my service reminders are off by several months and several thousand miles and do me no good. When I am able to reset it to 10000 miles and 12 months that will be in 4-5 months, and will not be correct when I reset it. The only way to get them back on track is to not reset it when it says it is due, then when actually due a half year later change it and reset at that time. Seems ridiculous.

I think the problem is not with Durametric, but with the Porsche software not allowing an early reset, which I am sure is by design.  We usually only see cars with the service reminders already on and reset them after service, so I can honestly say that I have not tried to reset a reminder that was not yet triggered.  I also completely forgot about the diesel, which is different.

Using a PIWIS 2 you can select the type of service, rather than a simple reset.  The cluster has the service schedule programmed into it, depending on model, engine, and country country, which can also be reset when changing clusters, so it could be reset if you really wanted to.  Here is a screen shot of the reset options.  As far as I know, you should be able to reset it early, but I have never tried it, so can't say with certainty.

post-4000-0-82349100-1438079557_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I just did my oil change (about 3K early) and my Durametric reset the reminder to 10K with no problem. The only reason i changed it early was so I could get back on to a nice even 10K interval. I had about 7K on the oil and will have about 6K at the next change. But that will then get me to 80K.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still not working, deleted and reinstalled to make sure most recent version. Just gonna have to get my money back I guess, just stinks because at an almost 5 hr round trip to the closest dealer my resets will just have to wait. Any other tools that anyone has found to reset service and oil reminders?

• Admin

Now it is past due and it is acting the same, stating it reset on the computer but it did nothing and shows due in 0 miles still.

Still not working, deleted and reinstalled to make sure most recent version. Just gonna have to get my money back I guess, just stinks because at an almost 5 hr round trip to the closest dealer my resets will just have to wait. Any other tools that anyone has found to reset service and oil reminders?

Is this a real Durametric or an eBay knockoff.

I have Durametric and it worked last time I used it.

• Moderators

I am also not sure what is going on here.  We use the Durametric for service resets just about every day and it works.  Are you sure the system is not a clone and that it is communicating with the car?

I have reset the reminders early on my vehicles without issue several times. The only problem I've ever encountered is with the laptop not being plugged into the mains, they slow down just running on battery and sometimes it doesn't reset in the Cayennes.