Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TPMS - Replacing Sensors

2007 C2, 6 speed.  Within the last year all four Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors (TPMS) have failed.  I'm assuming that the batteries have died after eight years of service.  Am I correct in my assumption?

Now, whenever I start the car, the red warning light ("exclamation point") comes on and the yellow "flat tire" symbol lights up.  I've been driving around this way all summer.  I plan to purchase four new sensors, but I've heard that there are two different types (different frequencies of transmission).  Pelican Parts sells part number "997-606-021-01-M458", which operates on 433 MHz.  Is this the one I need?  These sensors are quite expensive ($112 each), hence I want to be sure that I get the correct type.

Last piece of advice:  I will change the sensors when I need new tires, rather than un-mounting each tire, fitting the new sensor and re-mounting each tire (which sounds like a waste of money for nothing).  However, I want to be sure that running the car with the TPMS inactive will not cause any issues.

Thanks!

Andry

• Moderators

2007 C2, 6 speed.  Within the last year all four Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors (TPMS) have failed.  I'm assuming that the batteries have died after eight years of service.  Am I correct in my assumption?

Now, whenever I start the car, the red warning light ("exclamation point") comes on and the yellow "flat tire" symbol lights up.  I've been driving around this way all summer.  I plan to purchase four new sensors, but I've heard that there are two different types (different frequencies of transmission).  Pelican Parts sells part number "997-606-021-01-M458", which operates on 433 MHz.  Is this the one I need?  These sensors are quite expensive ($112 each), hence I want to be sure that I get the correct type.

Last piece of advice:  I will change the sensors when I need new tires, rather than un-mounting each tire, fitting the new sensor and re-mounting each tire (which sounds like a waste of money for nothing).  However, I want to be sure that running the car with the TPMS inactive will not cause any issues.

Thanks!

Andry

Battery life for the sensors is environment related, so I would normally expect around 4-6 years on your car.

While driving the car with dead sensors will not really harm anything, in many US states they are required to function at inspection time as they are a federally mandated safety item.

433 MHz is correct, but I would do some online shopping as several posters have done much better on pricing from other sources.

Thanks for the quick reply!  I live in Ottawa (Canada) but because I often travel to California, I usually purchase my Porsche parts at Pelican.  I'd love to hear what other sources you can provide for "much" better pricing.  All I care is that the parts are genuine (not some Chinese knock-offs).

Please let me know and thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Thanks for the quick reply!  I live in Ottawa (Canada) but because I often travel to California, I usually purchase my Porsche parts at Pelican.  I'd love to hear what other sources you can provide for "much" better pricing.  All I care is that the parts are genuine (not some Chinese knock-offs).

Please let me know and thanks in advance!

I'd suggest doing a search both here and elsewhere on the internet for the sensors, a quick Google search turned them up for as little as $50 each, but you need to be able to ship them into Canada.  And I would not worry about them being Porsche brand either, Porsche does not make them, they buy them and mark them up like everything else they sell.

I'll ask another question just to be clear on the whole thing.

1. Each wheel has one "sensor" attached to the valve stem (on the inside).  This "sensor" is battery operated, but you have to replace the whole "sensor" (i.e., can't just change a battery).  Is this correct?

2. There must also be a "monitor" somewhere in the vehicle, that picks up the RF transmission of each pressure sensor.  I'm assuming that the vehicle has one "monitor" hidden somewhere, but that "monitor" does not need any maintenance nor battery changes.  Is this correct?

3. To replace the "sensors" in each wheel, you have to take the tire off the wheel, replace the "sensor", then re-install the tire and get the wheel re-balanced.  Am I correct in my understanding?

In order to find the correct "sensors", what should I search for? Part Number 997-606-021-01?...

Again, thanks for your patience in helping me out.

1: Yes, they are sealed units. 2: Yes, correct, Car 12V to it so no battery and no required maintenance. 3: Yes you are correct.

I would search for 997 tyre sensors then refine it from there adding 'pressure' if you get too many hits. TPMS may only give a few results as the manufacturers may not use that acronym. Sorry JFP if I stole your reply :-)

Guys,

Thanks for all your answers.  I found the same sensor part number via the RennTech store at Amazon (Rareelectrical) for $38 ea ($144 for four).  I have a friend in the US where I can get these shipped.

Thanks again, for taking the time to help me out! :thumbup:

• Moderators

Guys,

Thanks for all your answers.  I found the same sensor part number via the RennTech store at Amazon (Rareelectrical) for $38 ea ($144 for four).  I have a friend in the US where I can get these shipped.

That is what we are here for.  Never hurts to do a search.

• 3 months later...

Guys,

@ Andry, I looked up the tmps from Rareelectircal on Amazon and they are indeed $38.  Did you check the battery life after installation?  I'm curious to hear about the birth day of the battery...

Good point, the very cheap ones might have been laying on the shelf for 2 years already... You will only find out when installed and battery life read out.

I was thinking a while about buying them myself and let the tire guy install them but I ended up with the dealer as the difference in price was not that high.

• 5 months later...

Car is back on the road for another summer season!  Just had the four TPMSs installed.  After driving for about 5 miles, everything synced and no more "idiot" light on the dash.  We'll see how long these inexpensive sensors last.  I'll keep you posted.