Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Short Shift Kit Options

So I'm aware of a number of short shifter options for the 996. B&M, 997 ssk, Schnell, eBay specials.... and so on. In your opinion, what's the best option for the money? Don't want a cheapo repro, but don't want to spend mega money either.

• Moderators

I have had the B&M shifter for 15 years now - still works like the day I bought it.

+1 on the B&M.  I have one nearly as old as Loren's and it is still perfect.  I've also installed a lot of B&M's over the years for customers, never had a problem with any of them.

Ya, I'm a fan of the B&M piece, but by the time I pay the exchange and tax, etc... I'm looking at close to $400 up here in Canada, eh!

So my question was two fold I guess... what's the best shifter option at the best price.

But I'm thinking B&M is the route to go.

• 2 weeks later...

My 986 had a short shift kit installed by the previous owner. I am unsure the brand, but I recall it being difficult to shift at first in freezing weather. At first, I feared something might be wrong with the transmission, but apparently that is a common problem that may or may not be reduced by switching manual transmission oil weights.

When I bought my 996, the stock shifter's throws felt like driving a tractor versus a sports car. I went with the 997 shifter. The shifts are a bit longer, but it hasn't exhibited the cold weather problem, likely due to the additional leverage the longer throw provides. Likely irrelevant, but I like it from a purist standpoint in the sense that I am still using factory parts. IIRC, two 997 shifters are available. I went with the cheaper one that did not have metal bearings as I do not shift like a madman.

Regardless of what you go with, it's one of the only modifications that I have done to my 996 and it is well worth it.

• Moderators

My 986 had a short shift kit installed by the previous owner. I am unsure the brand, but I recall it being difficult to shift at first in freezing weather. At first, I feared something might be wrong with the transmission, but apparently that is a common problem that may or may not be reduced by switching manual transmission oil weights.

When I bought my 996, the stock shifter's throws felt like driving a tractor versus a sports car. I went with the 997 shifter. The shifts are a bit longer, but it hasn't exhibited the cold weather problem, likely due to the additional leverage the longer throw provides. Likely irrelevant, but I like it from a purist standpoint in the sense that I am still using factory parts. IIRC, two 997 shifters are available. I went with the cheaper one that did not have metal bearings as I do not shift like a madman.

Regardless of what you go with, it's one of the only modifications that I have done to my 996 and it is well worth it.

More often than not, cold weather shifting effort problems are the result of the wrong gear oil rather than the shifter.  We have installed a lot of short shifters, mostly B&M, and as some of the cars are used daily in zero and sub zero ambient temperatures without any shifting issues, while others have had poor cold weather shifting even with the stock shifter when using aftermarket gear oils which were completely remedied by going back to the factory fill, it is difficult to blame the shifters. 

More often than not, cold weather shifting effort problems are the result of the wrong gear oil rather than the shifter.  We have installed a lot of short shifters, mostly B&M, and as some of the cars are used daily in zero and sub zero ambient temperatures without any shifting issues, while others have had poor cold weather shifting even with the stock shifter when using aftermarket gear oils which were completely remedied by going back to the factory fill, it is difficult to blame the shifters. 

+1 without question.  There have been countless examples time and time again of folks that corrected gearbox issues by either switching from aftermarket back to the OEM fluid, or simply by changing the fluid (OEM fluid changed to fresh OEM fluid).  I've talked to people that think that the gear oil doesn't matter or think that it's less important than changing the oil in your engine, for example.  A lot of these gearboxes are $10K depending on which Getrag you have and I'm not even talking PDK's (then you're talking more like $20K).  Even a repair/refresh from a reputable shop (and I wouldn't even consider anyone but one given how complex these are) can easily run you over $5K.  The OEM gearoil looks expensive until you start considering even the starting cost of a repair which would be dropping the gearbox. $$$

I completely agree that, given the effect that temperature had, an improper weight of gear oil was likely used. But short shifters lack the leverage of the stock "tractor" shifter, which further exacerbates the side effects of running an incorrect weight of gear oil. Ultimately, I didn't own and drive the 986 long enough in cold weather to try replacing the gear oil, and was lucky enough to land a 996 that had service records so I have a more detailed record of what exactly the previous owner did. :D

I'm not sure about winter weathers impact on the shifting, but I installed my short shifter this weekend and love the results. Shorter throws, more precise, clicks into gear, which I like.

And yes, winter or not, there is more effort to move the leaver, but it's not bad.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about winter weathers impact on the shifting, but I installed my short shifter this weekend and love the results. Shorter throws, more precise, clicks into gear, which I like.

And yes, winter or not, there is more effort to move the leaver, but it's not bad.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The length of the shifter affects the amount of torque applied - nothing more. My previously owned 986 very likely had the transmission fluid flushed using an aftermarket transmission oil that was not properly speced to the temperature range that the car saw - presumably due to the previous owner not driving it in winter. With a proper weight transmission oil, a short shifter should exhibit no side effects. But if you are not the original owner and plan on installing a short shift kit, then it is worth noting that the cost of a transmission fluid change might need to be factored in, depending on the service history and weather that the vehicle is driven in.

Edited by JasonStern

• 1 month later...

After having my 2001 trans removed/replaced for clutch, IMS brg, and RMS, the shift from 1-2 was a little notchy.  I ordered the B&M shifter direct from B&M ($289) and installed it yesterday in about 2 hours. 

The old shifter was still pretty tight but I found that 1 cable was out of adjustment by a few mm.  Used the Porsche tool to adjust the cables before I removed the old shifter, installed new cable ends, and everything works great.  The shifts are now tight and smooth, and as others have noted it's well worth the time and money.  I considered going with a aftermarket boot and shift knob but decided to stay original.