Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So I've joined the exclusive 997.1 Bore-Scoring club - what are my

Good evening,

So today I got given the good news that my 2007 plate 997.1 C4S is suffering from bore scoring on cylinders 5 & 6. Good news I say? Well, yes - because engine rebuilds are exciting and means I can get it rebuilt to my specification in the knowledge that it (shouldn't!) explode on me without warning.

Bit of background on the car - it's a 2007 997.1 C4S, speed yellow with PSE, full RSS control arms/rods, Bilstein B16 Clubsports, AASCO single flywheel, RSS engine mounts and more importantly, yellow seatbelts. Car is worth no more than 24k GBP, but has immense sentimental value to me as it's been a faithful companion to me during some very tough times. So the car stays. And we've done 88k miles together, fueled by Vpower, Red Bull and stale farts.

So, I'm trying to ascertain what I should do with the engine rebuild. I had a brilliant conversation with Grant at Hartech (top bloke) who looks to me like the default choice. Hartech to me seem to offer the most comprehensive package and their reputation through word-of-mouth says more than any marketing bod ever will.

However I'd be interested to see whether there are any other suggestions as to who might be able to offer me something a little more...special. And by special, I mean more power, more noise and more general antics that buck the basalt-black metallic Porsche boat.

I'm aware Jack Raby offers some very interesting rebuilds but sorry mate, you're too far away for me. I'm not looking to go down the forced induction route. I'm not a mechanic but I know full well that forced induction on these delicate engines is a concoction for a serious headache.

My criteria for this re-build is as follows:

- complete rebuild of all 6 (yes, not just the 2 affected) cylinders with suitable, hard-wearing liners.

- Overhaul of IMS, removing as much risk as possible from the likelihood of IMS failure through suitable parts.

- car is a street car, not a track car. I'd love a high-revving engine with all the power at 6900rpm and the redline at 7k, but it's not practical all the time.

- no forced induction shenanigans. I'd love a 9E monster but not in my budget!

- budget - depends on what i'm getting. 12-15k target, will stretch to 20k if it's really something special.

- Loud - I appreciate this is more exhaust related than engine. Suggestions welcome. Currently has PSE, it's ok but I think it could be louder.

Thanks for reading this and look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Edited by Arenki

Well, as an owner of a Basalt Black Boat! Grant at Hartech gets my vote too. Had my first 911 off them and have nothing but praise for their knowledge and professionalism. Dansk silencers may be one to look at, they do a loud one and an awesome one! Mr Plod does not really appreciate it but hey, it's not his car Sorry to hear about the bore scoring but at least you are going the right way about fixing it. ( edited as for whatever reason emoticons are not working, and yes the box is ticked)

Edited by jl-c