Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2006 P!G - yet another spot to check if you have a wet passenger f

I've been battling a flooded passenger footwell almost since I got the Cayenne. Sometimes it seemed I had some success, only to have it re-occur in about 6 months.

I think(!) I found the "root" cause of my wetness. In the past I've cleaned out the sunroof drains (air-pressure), the AC drain (piece of tubing on the end of the air-nozzle off my air-compressor), the sill covers (Titanium edition - Turbo sills) and the area where the windshield drains into the underhood area.

Found wetness yet AGAIN a few weeks ago. Took about 2 weeks to dry out all the foam rubber under the carpeting. While that was going on, I did my usual attack on the drains, and leaf munge buildup (my P!G lives outside - the garage is reserved for BMWs.)  STILL had dampness reappear after a rain.

Yesterday I started thinking I should go looking at the firewall under the cowl that is at the base of the windshield. That cowling isn't simple to remove - you have to remove the wiper arms before even thinking about removing it. Luckily - it's pretty flexible though, so I was able to bend it up enough to get underneath it without removing the wipers.

If you look at your P!G - there is a rubber funnel sort of thing on the bottom corners of the windshield that channels water from the side-channels on the windshield down past the hood hinge and into never-never land.

Unfortunately - it's equally as good at channeling leaves, dirt, munge of all kinds. This eventually builds up and plugs up the drain route to the ground. Once you have the cowling lifted up a bit - you will see a foam barrier between the hinge area and the rest of the under-cowl area (where the car's ECU's live). The foam barrier is supposed to channel the water down along the seam between the firewall and the inner fender. That works fine until it plugs up with munge.

Even then - it shouldn't make it into the passenger compartment if all is correct in the world.  In my case - it wasn't. Going deeper into the pits of the firewall area, I found there was a factory made hole right through the firewall into the fuse compartment area (the fuse compartment at the end of the dash.) Shining a bright flashlight into the hole from under the hood - lit up part of the fuse compartment.

In the past I've seen water running through the fuse compartment. Thought it was from a plugged sunroof drain (might have been actually..) The leaking usually stopped when I blew as much of the munge out of the drain channel around the hood-hinge as possible.

Here is a photo of why..

post-67622-0-89300800-1448993881_thumb.j

^^ The general area - the foam barrier is shown. The water from the windshield runs right down around the hinge-pivot that can be seen in this photo.

post-67622-0-15285900-1448993883_thumb.j

^^ And THAT is where the leak was. The black thing seen through the hole is the hose for the sunroof drain where it runs through the fuse-box area. Once the munge built up enough to block water draining along the firewall - it backed right up to this hole - where it happily leaked into the fuse compartment, ran down the drain hose into the side kickpanel, and then into the foam rubber under the carpeting.

As far as I could see - this hole (probably there to feed wires from the fuse box to something) never had a plug in it. It does now.  Only took about 5 years to track this down.  To really see this you have to pry up the cowling (two 1/4 turn fasteners in the area) plastic, then move the foam barrier out of the way, and use a nice bright flashlight.

If you have a leak on that side - worth checking. Takes about a 3/8" body plug.

Saw someone post on a forum - about a 2013 Cayenne - that had a leak in the same area. Dealer said the robot sealing the seams in the area apparently ran out of goop. Required massive disassembly to fix. In this case - I think the robot or worker who was supposed to install that body plug was asleep on the job.

EASY fix - once found.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I know this was discussed already many times but i cant solve this water problem. My first S stay outside now for 3 years. Engine has a scored cylinder. Thats why no moving. Since i bought my Turbo the old car was moved only a few times for some km. Of course there was always a water problem which i could solve but now... Nothing.

I took apart the a pillar trim and the headliner. Could get acces to the hose. Disconnect the hose from the reservoir which is sitting in the sunroof frame. Found a hose with onother green smaller hose inside. This is i didnt know. The green tube was split. Dont think its normal. I used a bowden cable to clean the smaller tube. I can get inside for about 120 cm. Then its stuck. Normal or it should stick out somewhere? I am really dissapointed this cant be solved. Would like ask:

The inner green tube has to be completely inside the grey hose or it has to stick outside and ending in the reservoir?

How to replace the entire green tube if its closed and cant be cleaned?

Any help which can take me out of this is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I could not solve the problem. Solution bought a hose. 2 m. Connect it to the reservoir in the sunroof. Routing like the original. Just on the dash board i go down passing the fuse panel to the floor. Carpet still wet. Will see how i can route it under the carpet.