Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking to buy 997.2 S Cabrio. Any tips? (Im coming from 03 Boxster

My lil boy is 2 and Ive made it this far with a Boxster but now we are working on baby #2.  So, Im looking for a 997.2 S Cabrio.  I still want to have a convertible and I want the 2009 because of the new engine.  Im thinking manual trans, Bose, heated seats.  Would love sport exhaust but seems hard to find. 

Any tips on what to look for, any known problem areas?  Any other options that I must have?  Thanks : )

I own pretty much the car you are looking for, an early gen2 C4S cab manual. Difficult to fault the car. The 6sp manual box is a delight although some will find the clutch heavy if in traffic a lot. The 4wd and PSM makes a superb combination. The car travels like it is on rails whatever the weather. These cars are not so young now so budget for some running spend - I had to replace all the plug packs recently, I don't do many miles and would reckon on 2k or so pa incl servicing to keep her running sweetly. The sports exhaust was not an option for the early years of the Gen2 run, I had mine fitted later (£2k option) and then found Stuttgart have made the default position on start up to be "off", and for it to quieten at 30mph, I believe to meet local noise limits, so I installed a work-around switch, so it can be always on. It sounds great. My previous 996 had a sports exhaust too. The stock exhaust is way too quiet imo so worth hunting this out. Hope this helps.

f2a62abb3afa65fafae171ded774ee9f.jpg

We came from a similar move. 99 Boxster to a 2009 Cab S. It wasn't by choice as my wife's car was totalled by a driver in the hospital parking lot.

We chose the PDK. Came from a MT Boxster. We got most of the good options. Sport Chrono. Nav. Heated and Cooled seats.

If we were able to find a C4S, we would have gone that route, but we got a screaming deal on our S. 997.2 is definitely the way to go unless you can squeeze a 991. Only reason is it is easier to add a backup camera.l, as the rear view is pretty blocked.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Wondering if you found your car, Pete.

I just bought a 2009 C2S cab after over a year of searching. The issue was financing, rather than availability of cars. There are lots of them available, especially in California, on the Porsche car locator web site and on Autotrader.com. Between those two, you should be able to find something in the $45k-$55k range (depending on mileage, options, etc).

Just like the Boxster I traded in for it, I found the 911 with an internet search, but it was at a local dealership, so I was able to take it to my regular mechanic for a PPI.

Edited by GoCatGo
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I have not bought a car yet but I have been looking nationwide every week.  Im a bit of a sports car purist and Im pretty picky on color and options.  : )

Ive also decided to buy a coupe since the rear seat on the cabrio is so upright.  Our boy is almost 3 and we want a second so I will eventually need two seats back there, coupe just seems like the better choice.

Im a little worried tho as when I have my 350Z coupe all I wanted to do was haul *** and I got a ton of tickets (it was red with headers and exhaust tho).  Then I had a 350Z convertible and finally the Boxster S and I found in the convertible I could drive fast but not crazy and still enjoy the experience because of the more visceral feeling with the top down. 

Anyway, so my plan is to do the coupe then maybe trade out for a convertible once the kids are in booster seats.  I miss the convertible already, my first time in 12 years without one.  : (

• 5 weeks later...

I got my 2010 997.2 Cab in June.  I am really happy with it so far.  My fingers are crossed and I am knocking wood, no major repairs so far.  

The previous owner had installed SmartTop 997 from Mods4Cars.com.  I never would have known it had the instructions not been printed out on 8.5 x 11 paper in the glove box. It is great.  It allows you to open and close the top with one touch.  This is really cool when you are driving or parking (below 30 mph).   I also lets you put the windows up and down more easily and make other fiddly changes that I have forgotten because once you set it up, it is just part of the car.

It came with the car, so I have no idea what it cost, but I really like it.

Also, make sure you have a Porsche savvy mechanic check it out.  I had a mechanic check out the first car I liked and it was a no-go.  For the second car I liked I got a mechanic who found about $1,600 in needed repairs that the dealer made before I bought it.  

Edit: WTF is a 992.1?

Edited by Carerra