Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My front suspension is making some clunking sounds. I have pushed and pulled and banged and shaken the suspension while it is on a lift and can't replicate the noise. This gives me an excuse to put in some adjustable struts. Since I have been planning on doing some rally cross this summer and I drive a lot of gravel roads. I would like some slightly softer struts that I can lift the car +1" and lower. Everything I see just lowers the car. If anyone knows of anything that would fit my needs please let me know.

Matt

1999 996 c4

• Moderators

Quite often, you cannot accurately assess the suspension noises by putting the car up on a lift that allows the suspension to go into full "droop".  A better approach would be to put the car up on a drive on ramp lift that keeps the suspension in the operating position and load, and then try to replicate the sounds you are hearing.

"Clunking" sounds from up front (usually overs bumps - which as JFP pointed out - you can't replicate on a lift) are often due to rubber bushings being worn or even broken/torn. I just replaced my struts and springs (on a C4) and found that both top-mounts were shot. The passenger side had totally failed so the bushing was actually floating in the plate. The drivers side was badly torn on two sides but had totally separated yet. The passenger side was the one with the "clunk". The problem is, you can't tell for sure until you take everything apart. The bottom line is, if it's clunking and nothing is loose (easy enough to check) you can rest assured that something is worn out or broken. Unfortunately on the C4 the top-mounts are expensive! Whether you go for the stock mounts, or aftermarket adjustable camber plates, it's going to run you a minimum of $500 - $600 for the parts...

Thanks for the replies. I assume that I have to get an alignment when I take everything apart even if I don't change anything. I am going to put it up on some ramps this weekend and see what I can find. I don't know how well I can see the top of the strut but as far as I could see the rest of the bushings were not destroyed. I will probably have to start taking things apart to find the source of the noise.

Matt

If you have a C4 shop around for the top mounts. You see them all the time for $250-$300@+. I found them a few years back for closer to $150@, OEM, at Sunset I think. My buddy just paid $300@ each at his Indy.

^This^  $300/ea.= $600 for stock topmounts (that have the compliant rubber inserts)... Camber plates $500 - $550/pr. (I went with Tarrett @ $500). No "harshness" (honestly I was a little worried) to speak of, just a very "connected" feeling. Overall, the ride is much smoother than with the old shocks/struts and broken topmounts. Good luck

I have been looking at camber plates. I am a little confused about what will fit though. Some say 2000-current and some say 1999-2005. I thought c4, c4s, and turbo front suspension were the same 1999-2005. Why would some not fit the 1999 but will fit the 2000? The mode front camber plate is an example of one that says it will fit everything but the 1999...

Matt

You can get "same as stock" refurbished top-mounts from Elephant Racing here: http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/rubberbushings/996-997-rubber-suspension-bushings.htm#prod_3  for $230 for the pair. I missed this when I did mine (despite a LOT of research) or a may have used them instead of the camber plates (which I must say I'm very happy with, but the others are less expensive). In either case, afaik everything '99 up to '05 will fit the same (in other words what fits a 2000 will work on a '99 as well).