Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S tiptronic hesitation

Good morning,

Tried to search and didn't find much, have a small issue with my wife's boxster S, year 2001, tiptronic, only after it is reaching the proper temperature sometime will have a bigger gap when will change between 2 to 3, this will be there even will change manual...is 1 second at least, sometimes goes away during the drive or not. In the same time will drop from 5th to 4th with a kick...harder than normal, again some time will go away if i will drive more "gentle"...

Appreciate your advises, the car has 117.ooo km, when is cold shifts normal.

Tnx in advance.

Hello.

Has the ATF / filter ever been changed? If not, that would be what I would focus on first - the condition of the fluid and the level.

Hi Wizard, tnx for your reply,

No i didn't replaced any of them, i ordered already them and this will be my first step, 

From my own experience with my previous car, a BMW, when the gearbox oil level was lower the car was hesitating with cold engine, later on was working normal, this one is doing the opposed, not sure how the valves are behaving when they are getting spoiled...

Yes, it's odd that the problems occur when the fluid is hot. However, I'd still go ahead with a fluid/filter change before considering the much more expensive options.

I'm about to do this myself. Our car (MY 2003) spent ten years in Bahrain before being shipped here. I suspect that the temperatures out there shortens the life of ATF .... and coolant.

As you appear to be intent on doing it yourself also, I'm sure you have read up on the procedure.

From what I've read, if you're not planning on using Porsche ATF, Pentosin ATF-1 is the only other recommended fluid for a Tiptronic.

Although Pentosin ATF seems to be a frequently used fluid I notice that when looking at the ZF website that for the 5 speed box, ZF recommends  ZF Lifeguard Fluid 5 and ZF Lifeguard 6 for the 6 speed box.  Is there any preference on choice of fluid. 

It is also of interest that ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80 to 120KM or after 8 years at the latest.

http://www.zf.com/global/media/medien_mastersite/products_services/service_information/sitematrix/transmission/cars_4/englisch_3/modelluebergreifend_1/ZP_SI_Oelwechselkit_EN.pdf      

• Moderators

I would not let the trans fluid go that long.  Because you can only do a partial drain on these transmissions (the converter retains a large amount of fluid that will not come out in a gravity drain), we adopted a 5 years/50K miles maximum service interval for these cars, with an even shorter interval for a car that is tracked.

Fluid is cheap, transmissions are not; and we have seen too many Tips acting up that had literally black as ink fluid in them which smelled burnt long before the factory recommended service intervals that responded positively to being serviced.  On occasion, we have had to drain, fill, run, drain again, etc. multiple times to get them back to normal operations.

Hi wizard,

Thank you for your suggestion, i left the car in the shop already today as i'm afraid to drive it like this, we will first change oil+filter and we will see if the issue is still there, shop manager was saying that is strange that is doing this only for 2 to 3rd gear and not for the others...might be something else in the middle...i will post the updates when i will take the car.

Would love to do the job in front of the house... unfortunately here is very hot!!!, 

Yes, it's odd that the problems occur when the fluid is hot. However, I'd still go ahead with a fluid/filter change before considering the much more expensive options.

I'm about to do this myself. Our car (MY 2003) spent ten years in Bahrain before being shipped here. I suspect that the temperatures out there shortens the life of ATF .... and coolant.

As you appear to be intent on doing it yourself also, I'm sure you have read up on the procedure.

From what I've read, if you're not planning on using Porsche ATF, Pentosin ATF-1 is the only other recommended fluid for a Tiptronic.

• 2 weeks later...