Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 Boxster 986 making knocking sound and not wanting to run

Hello I'm having issues with my 2001 Porsche Boxster 986 it is making a knocking sound and it also does not want to stay running. I can keep it running for about 3 to 5 seconds before it dies during that entire time it has a knocking sound any idea what it could be or what's going on? Also I have to jumper the fuel pump relay in order to get fuel pressure to the fuel rail

The car was running good the only things I've touched Have been Spark plugs, spark plug boots, spark plug covers and a Crank shaft position sensor.

Thanks,

Josh

• Moderators

Hello I'm having issues with my 2001 Porsche Boxster 986 it is making a knocking sound and it also does not want to stay running. I can keep it running for about 3 to 5 seconds before it dies during that entire time it has a knocking sound any idea what it could be or what's going on? Also I have to jumper the fuel pump relay in order to get fuel pressure to the fuel rail

The car was running good the only things I've touched Have been Spark plugs, spark plug boots, spark plug covers and a Crank shaft position sensor.

Thanks,

Josh

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

What ever it is, with knocking sounds, it is not good.  I would not be running the car, but I would be scanning it to see what pending codes are stored.  If you just did the plugs and coils, you may have reversed one or more of the coil connections and it is firing out of sequence.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Here's the list of codes that was stored P0102 P1340 P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303.

Also I double checked the spark plugs and coils and everything looks right. The last thing I did to the car was replaced the spark plugs and leads and put the car back together and it ran good however after about 30 minutes of running around the car died and did not want to crank back up. After that is when I noticed the fuel rail did not have any pressure so I went to the fuel pump relay and had to jumper it to have fuel pressure. Once I had fuel pressured by jumping the relay I cranked the car over and it ran for about 3 to 5 seconds before dying and during the entire time there was a knocking sound coming out of the engine bay.

Thanks

Josh

• Moderators

Weird, P0102 indicates that the MAF sensor  is flowing below limits, which is usually either a bad MAF or a wiring issue.  P1340 indicates that your timing chain is out of position on bank 1.   All of the rest of the codes say all the bank 1 cylinders are misfiring.

I would start by doing a complete recheck of the wiring harness connections on bank 1.  Doing the plugs, you may have knocked a connector loose.