Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

On the way home last night, my ("new" to me) 09 Cayenne (V6, 6 - spd manual) suddenly lost power. ~50K miles. The check engine light appeared. The code is P2293. Fuel pressure regulator. I've always done my own work on my Porsches, BMWs and others cars. I'm not able to find a manual for the 2009 or trouble shooting procedures, etc. The basics seem straight forward, check the fuel pressure, etc. However, the Cayenne is a new beast to me. I don't know were the test ports are located, steps for isolating pump from press reg value etc. I don't want to replace parts until I can isolate the problem. AlldataDIY.com claims to have a subscription based manual though I'm skeptical it will have the detail I need for troubleshooting and repair. As a point of ref I've had several 911s, 944s, 914s, BMWs and have maintained all myself for ~30 yrs. I'm not a neophyte when it come to working on P cars.

On first glance, I'm leaning towards a failing pressure regulator. The Cayenne will run fine for a few mins and then loose power. Power comes back for a few mins.... then looses power. I need to find the fuel pressure test ports. I'm assuming normal pressure should be between 75-90 psi?

However, I've not been able to find a source/manual for troubleshooting and basic repairs for my Cayenne. 

My questions: 

1) Has anyone encountered this code? What steps did you take to isolate and fix the problem?

2) Where can I get a legit repair manual without spending $$$?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Edited by das86turbo

• Admin
P2293 Diagnosis information DME V6 DFI - Fuel high pressure

Possible fault causes
  - Pre-delivery quantity or pressure in fuel low pressure circuit too low
- Pressure relief valve in high pressure circuit faulty
- Fuel high pressure sensor faulty
- Quantity control valve faulty (in fuel high pressure pump)
- Fuel high pressure pump faulty
- High pressure injector(s) (fuel injector(s)) faulty

• Moderators

On the way home last night, my ("new" to me) 09 Cayenne (V6, 6 - spd manual) suddenly lost power. ~50K miles. The check engine light appeared. The code is P2293. Fuel pressure regulator. I've always done my own work on my Porsches, BMWs and others cars. I'm not able to find a manual for the 2009 or trouble shooting procedures, etc. The basics seem straight forward, check the fuel pressure, etc. However, the Cayenne is a new beast to me. I don't know were the test ports are located, steps for isolating pump from press reg value etc. I don't want to replace parts until I can isolate the problem. AlldataDIY.com claims to have a subscription based manual though I'm skeptical it will have the detail I need for troubleshooting and repair. As a point of ref I've had several 911s, 944s, 914s, BMWs and have maintained all myself for ~30 yrs. I'm not a neophyte when it come to working on P cars.

On first glance, I'm leaning towards a failing pressure regulator. The Cayenne will run fine for a few mins and then loose power. Power comes back for a few mins.... then looses power. I need to find the fuel pressure test ports. I'm assuming normal pressure should be between 75-90 psi?

However, I've not been able to find a source/manual for troubleshooting and basic repairs for my Cayenne. 

My questions: 

1) Has anyone encountered this code? What steps did you take to isolate and fix the problem?

2) Where can I get a legit repair manual without spending $$$?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

There are no "legitimate repair manuals" for this vehicle, Porsche never produced them in print, but only in an electronic form which requires a PIWIS TSI subscription to view online.

• 3 years later...

I’m having the same symptoms and error code, only when it’s above 105 deg F and the gas tank isn’t more than 3/4 full. I fill the tank and the problem goes away. WT?!

Any insight will help. This can’t only be happening to me.

Thanks I saw that post, but my problem only shows up when the ambient temp is above 105 deg F. If the ambient temp is lower than that I get absolutely no issues.

i was just hoping that someone else had already had this problem and had found a solution.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Pxwguad said:

Thanks I saw that post, but my problem only shows up when the ambient temp is above 105 deg F. If the ambient temp is lower than that I get absolutely no issues.

i was just hoping that someone else had already had this problem and had found a solution.

Pxwguad

had the exact same problem yesterday from Vegas to LA same error code

half a tank 105 degrees ran fine after temps below 100

have you found anything out?

no idea where to start

• Admin
P2293 Diagnosis information DME V6 DFI - Fuel high pressure

Possible fault causes
 - Pre-delivery quantity or pressure in fuel low pressure circuit too low
- Pressure relief valve in high pressure circuit faulty
- Fuel high pressure sensor faulty
- Quantity control valve faulty (in fuel high pressure pump)
- Fuel high pressure pump faulty
- High pressure injector(s) (fuel injector(s)) faulty

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same error code while going over mountain passes in Colorado. Anytime car had less than 3/4 fuel and 5K ft above sea level, it had really poor acceleration and bogging down. Had to keep it full to go anywhere on CO mountains. 

Came back to east coast and even with less than 1/4 fuel no issue with accelerating around 400 ft above sea level. 

I plan on picking up harbor freight fuel pressure tester kit. What else should I get to help with troubleshooting and going thru the checklist posted above? Durametric? 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Nurbek I said:

Had the same error code while going over mountain passes in Colorado. Anytime car had less than 3/4 fuel and 5K ft above sea level, it had really poor acceleration and bogging down. Had to keep it full to go anywhere on CO mountains. 

Came back to east coast and even with less than 1/4 fuel no issue with accelerating around 400 ft above sea level. 

I plan on picking up harbor freight fuel pressure tester kit. What else should I get to help with troubleshooting and going thru the checklist posted above? Durametric

Be careful with the Harbor Freight fuel pressure tester, it is NOT designed for the pressures your DFI runs at, which can be as high as 3,000 PSIG

• 10 months later...

Hello. I am wondering what the final outcome was on this. I have been having a very similar problem on my 2010 V6 Cayenne with about 115K miles, which has recurred three times recently:
- Ambient temp between upper 80's and low 90's
- Occurred on long drives after 6-8 hours of continuous driving
- Sudden loss of power and CEL
- Gas in tank less than about 5/8th full
- All three times I was towing a load (U-haul with furniture, loaded vehicle trailer, empty vehicle trailer)
- Two of the three times was going up a steep grade hill at freeway speeds. One time was in stop-and-go traffic on a flat highway
- All three times, got the P2293 code
- All three times, filling tank immediately made problem and codes go away.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Just encounter the same problem.

Replace the fuel regulator on the right side of the fuel tank .

remove the back seat it’s at passenger side.

you might also want to check the driver side fuel filter to see if it’s still working good and not 

Don’t bother to buy more tools to try, just go buy the parts.

Porsche Fuel Pressure Regulator - Genuine Porsche 95562042210

WWW.FCPEURO.COM

High Quality Genuine & OEM Porsche parts. Free Shipping and available now! See OE cross references for POR-95562042210. Includes FCP's Lifetime Warranty & Unlimited 365 Day Returns.

Edited by MikesCayenne