Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turbo / MAF replacement, Oil found

Piece of cake don't sweat it. If you get any problems just ping me a message. Good luck. 

New fuel cap and change over valve fitted today and no surprise surprise no difference. Still have more than 1/2 tank fuel so trying to burn it off fast to get back to 1/4 tank or less and see if it actually will fix the issue or it was just a fluke. 

I will be pulling out my fuel filter and cleaning it tomorrow. Will measure it up to find a suitable paper replacement cartridge from OE filter manufacturer rather than buying the whole plastic thing from porsche which is pointless. 

3 hours ago, lewisweller said:

I didn't understand "Henn coupling". Pls explain.

Lewis i found a write up in google where the problem with the oil leaking on he driver side was described. It was a document from a porsche workshop manual. Didnt know that its not allowed to show the link. 

I send you pm.

Its done:clapping:

a little bit of a pain because not much space but i made it. DV is changed according what Lewis postet. Step by step and finito. If my oil problem and power loss is coming from, we will see.

of course i got a good portion of oil coming out from the hose which fits to the intercooler. 

My guess the problem with the oil can come from a some other part. Its the breather hose which is going from somewhere close to the turbo charger up to the breather valve which is sitting on the valve cover. Looks a little bit friggle. It was covered with oil. I clean everything and next km will show whats going on

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

Its done:clapping:

a little bit of a pain because not much space but i made it. DV is changed according what Lewis postet. Step by step and finito. If my oil problem and power loss is coming from, we will see.

of course i got a good portion of oil coming out from the hose which fits to the intercooler. 

My guess the problem with the oil can come from a some other part. Its the breather hose which is going from somewhere close to the turbo charger up to the breather valve which is sitting on the valve cover. Looks a little bit friggle. It was covered with oil. I clean everything and next km will show whats going on

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well done Thomas.

Was the old DV leaking?

What's your boost pressure running before and now? 

3 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

Hi

how i can see if the DV is leaking? 

I didnt test this thing.

i just now make some miles on the higway. Boost is going to 0,8 pretty fast.

Push the brass disk inside opening the DB then hold your finger tight over the vac pipe nipple. The valve should hold open until you release your finger off the vac nipple. Also when valve is shut as it normally is blow into each of the 2 ends and the vac nipple all should not allow air to pass. Mine failed and I cut I open to see the diaphragm was torn. 

1 hour ago, ekstroemtj said:

Looks like the part which i disconnect is still working. So my work today was to no avail. 

Did you check the other DV just for kicks? Now you have a "working spare" lol. It really easy to do the passenger side DV. Just have to remove a few torx screws from the front of the wheel arch cover and pull it open a bit to access the dv. 

Also the pcv check valve you found to be perished inside did you replace that? For sure your excess oil is coming via that? 

I like to work with cars but in the end they have to drive perfect. I cant tell this from my turbo.  At least i drained the intercooler hose. I will drive to france tonight. I hope there will be no bad surprises. 

The other DV i did not check. Because this side did not have any oil . Just replaced the MAF now. 

The hose you mention- last pic in my post- looks really a bit worn out. But its saturday. Shops closed. Couldnt get new one. I will see how the PIG is driving tonight

Could not stop thinking about if i did something wrong during my weekend repair.  i thought ok lets check the coils again. Car in front of our holiday destination in Cannes. Open hood. French people which passed the way: "porsche which has problems" somebody asked . For shure they are thinking what is this german doing here with his car. 

First coil bank one, voila

image.jpeg

How old are they and what revision number is the part? Maybe the over heating is increasing due to this misfire or maybe the overheating lead to the Coils cracking? Or maybe two separate issues to give you a double headache and a wallet bashing all the same. 

At least this is a simple fix if not a cheap ones.  

FYI I found some interesting things today which I think explain all my running issues !!!!

Hint leaking check valve 13 and leaking check valve on pipe 25!!!. Ordered both already........

6 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

Could not stop thinking about if i did something wrong during my weekend repair.  i thought ok lets check the coils again. Car in front of our holiday destination in Cannes. Open hood. French people which passed the way: "porsche which has problems" somebody asked . For shure they are thinking what is this german doing here with his car. 

First coil bank one, voila

image.jpeg

IMG_20160823_202601.png

Edited by lewisweller
mistake numbering

I carry 2 coils with me. Thanks god. 

I changed them and the car is running fine. Just drove to the beach and back. But now which surprise. Check engine light is on. Grrrrrrrrr. Code 2187 and 2189 which means to lean at idle. Get crazy. 

I hope you have found the source of your problem. Part 13 i just changed last week because the membrane inside was not ok

45 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

Dont even know how old the coils are. I have the car now 4 years. I didnt change them. I just check them from time to time.

image.jpeg

This is revision 08, latest revision which I have fitted is 21. Says a lot about Beru quality...........

Your lean codes might be as a result of driving with cracked coil and the dme tried to adapt to that, now the misfire is gone with replacement coils it is now lean. Reset the fault codes (fuel trims will also be reset) and drive a bit more then check again. 

Also do the Throttle adaption by switching ignition on without starting engine and without touching pedals. Leave for 60 seconds and then switch off ignition. Switch back on and start the car. This has effectively adapted the Throttle. Can also be done in basic settings channel 60 on vagcom. 

11 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

I reset already. Will see if it comes back.

lesson for me:. Never drive far away without with big box of tools, code reader, coils etc. Oh what a car. The french man was right today :blush:

:biggrin: Ha ha too true, I have my little V-checker PRO Vag tool, and two tool boxes with every tool required for a roadside dilemma always in the cayenne!

Audi nothing but a phone charger adaptor cable lol. 

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

everybody loves his porsche. Dosnt matter how old and  how much trouble. But there is always a border where the fun to drive this cars is changing to frustration. 

I guy which i know from the porsche service where i go usual has the 3. engine in this 997. talk with him and you know what i mean

1 hour ago, hahnmgh63 said:

After pretty much going up the number chain on the revisions Porsche jumped from .09 to .20, then .21.  I have fairly new .09's in mine but it is pathetic that after all these revisions that there are still problems.

Yes in some way. In the same time i can say they last minimum 4 years in the car, which is not bad. Plus i had / have this problem with the overheating. Everything from plastik, all this lines and tubes etc. having a hard life. Imagine this temperature floatings in this engine compartment. 

I've got an old 2001 Audi TT 225bhp that I use as a commuter. For that you have the Beru coils or Hitachi. All the forums say don't use the Beru, use the Hitachi coils. I've had a set of the Hitachi coils in there for over 12yrs as the original Beru coils failed after about 3yrs. Just saying, Beru coils have a bad reputation on other forums too, but they manufactured enough versions of the 1.8T motors to use more than one OEM supplier so there is a choice, wish we had a choice.