Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• 7 months later...

Sorry guys i need to come back to this issue. Summer is coming and as temp outside is rising so my turbo will do. 

@lewis mentioned a stuck thermostat could be the reason while the water pump is new. Please explain. Would like to understand this. Why when reving at park the temp is going down? What the thermostat has to do with this? Thank you very much

6 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

@JFP in PA

Thank you!!!

The thermostat starts to open at 85-87oC,, if the AC fan is set to on and cooling, the engine at idle will normally sit ok at 80oC middle of the gauge. When AC is off radiator fans are off, the gauge will rise to about 85-87oC and then I hear the fans kick in and the temp will drop in about 15 second to 80oC again. If I drive really hard the gauge will rise above 80oC if I then slow down or stop (air flow is reduced through the radiator and engine bay). 

Take note when my head gaskets was blown the temp was not able to hold middle gauge at idle and only revving would bring the temp down (increased circulation). Coolant smells of fuel and the level will drop every few days. 

So just be careful this is just a thermostat stuck partially open (if it was stuck fully open the engine would stay cooler and take a long time to warm up in winter especially) or have you got a small head gasket leak? 

Is the coolant level dropping at all? If not then it's just the thermostat stuck half closed.

• 4 weeks later...

i always believed there must be an air pocket which is causing my high temp but many of you point me to the thermostat. 

looking at the parts diagrams I can find two numbers.  

What's the difference? Can somebody help please. 

Is the part for the Cayenne s and the Cayenne turbo equal?

Second question, where is sitting the temperature sensor ? Can't find it.

Thank you.

IMG_20170512_084508681.jpg

IMG_8160.PNG

IMG_8161.PNG

Edited by ekstroemtj

4 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

i always believed there must be an air pocket which is causing my high temp but many of you point me to the thermostat. 

looking at the parts diagrams I can find two numbers.  

What's the difference? Can somebody help please. 

Second question, where is sitting the temperature sensor ? Can't find it.

Thank you.

IMG_20170512_084508681.jpg

IMG_8160.PNG

Temperature sensor is at the back of the engine very hard to see and access, this is not your problem Thomas. 

The thermostat is a superseded part and ends with 72 not 70 the old part. 

Your temperature reading is worrying me, head gaskets failure will follow extended localised overheating of the cylinder heads especially the inner cylinders. 2/3 6/7

Screenshot_20170514-001859.png

Screenshot_20170514-001851.png

Screenshot_20170514-001645.png

• 2 weeks later...

Take all my courage and try to fix this

by myself. Was actually easy but there are always some small things which dont work well and taking time and nervs.  Finally i changed the thermostat. I didnt take out the cooling tubes. Just lift it up on the front to change. 

Unfortunately the temp problem is still there. Its just 25 degress outside but when the car stay in park for some time with engine running the gauge is showing very soon 100 degrees

Edited by ekstroemtj
Typo

3 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

@Lewis

water pump is new. Was replaced last year. Head gasket i really dont think it can be. I dont loose any coolant. No fuel smell in the coolant. 

No bubbles in coolant. 

Don't rule out either! Some water pumps was wearing out prematurely and decreased flow at idle is the effect. Also head gaskets can blow and push hot Gas into coolant without losing coolant. So have it tested anyway, it takes a few minutes.

Aside from that the only other thing I can think of is slipping belt on water pump pulley or a blockage somewhere. 

2 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

How it will be tested , the head gasket?

Also one more thing to check is the coolant expansion tank cap! If the cap doesn't seal properly the coolant boiling point will be lower and this can lead to overheating also. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

How it will be tested , the head gasket?

Two ways:  Run a leak down test and check the coolant for the presence of combustion gasses.  You need to do both to be sure.

Because a lot of coolant was gone maybe I should try to take out possible air pockets with the vacuum device before to investigate further. 

By the way, the old thermostat which is out can be tested in some way?

• Moderators

You can test one by heating it in a pot of water with a thermometer in it to see what temp it starts to open and when it is fully open.  That said, if the stat has more than a couple of seasons on it, can it and put in a new one.