Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 - 955 3.2V6 - identification of loose cable

Hi guys,

when changing a light bulb to prep the car for the annual garage check I noticed a loose cable roughly in the middle of the grill in front of the radiator. No error messages on the read out of the car. No warning lights. No discernible function as such.

Who can help? 

Model is a 2004 955 3.2L V6. 

Thanks from sunny Holland

WP_20160912_13_27_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20160912_13_27_37_Pro.jpg

__large__04955soff-01.jpg

Edited by Cayenne955_NL
added location picture

2 minutes ago, RFM said:

It could be connected to the engine hood lock, for the indication on the display " Engine Hood Open" This is my best guess honestly. Give it a try.

This is what I thought at first too, but no indications on the display, no error messages or beeps, nothing when reading out the computer via the plug. Only error I am getting is an alarm error.

5 minutes ago, Loren said:

You need to run diagnostics tests to get the correct fault location. You will need a Porsche PIWIS tester or at least a Durametric tester to track this down.

The tester that I used has all the porsche models on it, I reads all systems fine. The left indicator light needed replacing and it read that error fine. Just gives a very generic alarm system error. I am thinking it is perhaps linked to the alarm system. I also think it happened when my whole engine block was out in 2013 as the chain needed to be replaced. It is not affecting the car as such but I am curious what it should do. As obviously a loose cable is not a good thing! I will probably undo the bumper this weekend, unless anyone knows an easier way to for example get that middle grill out?

Edited by Cayenne955_NL
omission

37 minutes ago, Cayenne955_NL said:

The tester that I used has all the porsche models on it, I reads all systems fine. The left indicator light needed replacing and it read that error fine. Just gives a very generic alarm system error. I am thinking it is perhaps linked to the alarm system. I also think it happened when my whole engine block was out in 2013 as the chain needed to be replaced. It is not affecting the car as such but I am curious what it should do. As obviously a loose cable is not a good thing! I will probably undo the bumper this weekend, unless anyone knows an easier way to for example get that middle grill out?

I would go for the ambient air temperature sensor. Item 2 in the Porsche manual for a 2003 cayenne. What does the dash temp read? 

IMG_20160913_175618.png

1 minute ago, lewisweller said:

I would go for the ambient air temperature sensor. Item 2 in the Porsche manual for a 2003 cayenne. What does the dash temp read? 

IMG_20160913_175618.png

Temperature sensor is accurate and works fine so it isn't that :( it is 32C outside and the temp reads 31C so you can't ask for more than that ;-)

2 hours ago, Cayenne955_NL said:

I think that sensor is the thing pointing up which still has power and is on the main cable coming from below

Only other possibility as I can't see any parking sensors is either the bonnet latch micro switch (alarm code related maybe) or the front fog lights wiring harness? 

I looked at every diagram and that's all there is. IMG_20160913_201101.png

2 hours ago, lewisweller said:

Only other possibility as I can't see any parking sensors is either the bonnet latch micro switch (alarm code related maybe) or the front fog lights wiring harness? 

I looked at every diagram and that's all there is. IMG_20160913_201101.png

That is exactly what the cable looks like! Front fog lights both work. No parking sensors on the car. So must be related to the bonnet switch?

9 hours ago, Cayenne955_NL said:

That is exactly what the cable looks like! Front fog lights both work. No parking sensors on the car. So must be related to the bonnet switch?

Yep bonnet switch then, I found a porsche 996 or something bonnet micro switch with harness and plug, the plug looked exactly like the one you have hanging from the top disconnected so I gotta say it must be. Strange the dash doesn't warn the bonnet is open being as the plug is disconnected? Maybe open circuit it doesn't see it as a fault weird no fail safe? 

I see the centre grille is a separate part so maybe it can be removed? Likely some tabs clips and it's a push in fitment like most Vag group grilles and mesh. Maybe someone can chime in and tell if the centre grille can be removed independent of the bumper? 

I will remove the grill this weekend and connect the cable, I doubt it will make a difference after so long but worth trying :) Thanks Lewis and Loren :) I forgot my old account but I remember Loren from the time I had problems with the chain in my 3.2 engine :) good to see you active still 3 years on and helping people :) 

Will update on outcome.