Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

In the past few weeks I've started noticing a strong smell of gasoline outside of the vehicle near the driver's side rear quarter.  I'm not smelling gas in the vehicle . . . yet.  I seem to recall reading at some point that the fuel pumps may develop leaks of the top sealing gasket.  I know neither of my pumps have ever been replaced during the first 120K miles, so I'm suspecting this may be the culprit, but I am wondering if there is anything else I should check out before taking in it for service.  I haven't seen any fuel on the ground or anything, and I don't think I've ever heard of the fuel tank itself developing a leak.  Replacing the pump myself is out; it's a job I'd prefer to have an experienced professional do.  Most likely a fuel pump?

18 hours ago, spooltime said:

In the past few weeks I've started noticing a strong smell of gasoline outside of the vehicle near the driver's side rear quarter.  I'm not smelling gas in the vehicle . . . yet.  I seem to recall reading at some point that the fuel pumps may develop leaks of the top sealing gasket.  I know neither of my pumps have ever been replaced during the first 120K miles, so I'm suspecting this may be the culprit, but I am wondering if there is anything else I should check out before taking in it for service.  I haven't seen any fuel on the ground or anything, and I don't think I've ever heard of the fuel tank itself developing a leak.  Replacing the pump myself is out; it's a job I'd prefer to have an experienced professional do.  Most likely a fuel pump?

As the fuel tanks access covers are both inside the vehicle and included is both pumps the filter and regulator I highly doubt you would smell it outside and not inside the vehicle if the rubber gaskets were leaking. 

More likely possibilities are exhaust leak, evap canister leak, fuel cap (although its the other side) and other associated fuel piping. 

• 3 months later...

I am having a strong smell of gas in my 2004 Cayenne S and outside drivers door.

I am getting a fuel pump circuit code. And the fuse was blown . Changed the fuse and fuse is holding but still getting strong smell when I completely full tank.

I recently changed all coils and plugs as it was misfiring and throwing several  codes.

Cleared all codes. 

Now getting the fuel pump circuit code,  catalytic converter code, and the camshaft sensor position code...

Could these codes all be related to a failing or weak fuel pump.

I don't have any problems starting engine and it seems to idle fine and run fine even under load.

Pete

25 minutes ago, Renzo511 said:

I'm.running 13.7 while engine on and at idle and 12.8 off

Sounds fine. Just check voltage after an hour or two to make sure it doesn't decay to anything lower than about 12.6 volts. I've had two batteries that have done this and we're replaced under warranty. 

All voltage seems to be stable.

I unplugged battery for an hour . Reconneced it. Cayenne was running amazing for about 40 miles then the transmission indicator on dashboard went to a solidd D ......No d1,d2,etc...

Turn car off and back on ,went back to normal drive mode. But engine is sluggish now.. Strong exhaust smell, fair amount of smoke while.at a stop....

Seems to be running rich.....Did have a cat converter code but cleared it....

New plugs and coils....New belt, new oil and filter in past week....

Could it be the ECU bad ? Or air leak ?

Frustrating because for an hour it ran beautiful

• 2 weeks later...

To close out my experience, I ended up having both fuel pumps replaced and everything is perfect again.  I'd say for anyone experiencing a strong fuel smell outside the vehicle near either rear quarter panel, plan on it being fuel pump related.

How could a faulty fuel pump or a filter for that matter create fuel smell outside vehicle? Are we talking fuel vapor escaping or rich exhaust smell? 

Renzo what was the bad running symptoms please? 

Did it run well when cold and then bad when warmed up or hot? 

On 1/3/2017 at 1:09 PM, lewisweller said:

How could a faulty fuel pump or a filter for that matter create fuel smell outside vehicle? Are we talking fuel vapor escaping or rich exhaust smell? 

Renzo what was the bad running symptoms please? 

Did it run well when cold and then bad when warmed up or hot? 

Usually the filter develops a leak or hairline crack that may not be visible. raw fuel begins to seeps through and that is where the fuel smell comes from. Every vehicle is different. Mine ran fine with fuel filter leak but fuel smell was really strong after drives when I park I could smell raw fuel towards the rear where the filter is. Depending on how bad the leak or crack is determines how well the car will run. From my experience when filter needs replacing the main driver side fuel pump will not be far behind.  

24 minutes ago, ybe said:

Usually the filter develops a leak or hairline crack that may not be visible. raw fuel begins to seeps through and that is where the fuel smell comes from. Every vehicle is different. Mine ran fine with fuel filter leak but fuel smell was really strong after drives when I park I could smell raw fuel towards the rear where the filter is. Depending on how bad the leak or crack is determines how well the car will run. From my experience when filter needs replacing the main driver side fuel pump will not be far behind.  

Yes that make perfect sense, but Spooltime previous post stated fuel smell "outside" the vehicle and then had both pumps replaced as a result. That's what I found strange!it seem whichever way the new pump did the trick I'm just curious how the prognosis came about if not by some good luck. Emissions laws and the whole setup is designed to keep all those pesky hydrocarbons inside. 

24 minutes ago, ybe said:

Yes that make perfect sense, but Spooltime previous post stated fuel smell "outside" the vehicle and then had both pumps replaced as a result. That's what I found strange!it seem whichever way the new pump did the trick I'm just curious how the prognosis came about if not by some good luck. Emissions laws and the whole setup is designed to keep all those pesky hydrocarbons inside.